Author Topic: 2012 Archive - August photo of the Month  (Read 4526 times)

Online frazscot

2012 Archive - August photo of the Month
« on: Sep 26, 2011, 04:53 PM »
Am I missing something ?   The topic of the August Picture of the Month comp. was for  "The best photo taken on an outer deck depicting the joy of sailing on QE2".
And the winners are.............A picture of sea, yet another sunset and a small part of the deck.  Next we have a back view of someone with his hands in his pockets, yet another sunset and some railings that could be from anywhere. Then we have a rather nice pic of an chair (empty) a lifebelt and sea. Finally we have a pic of the QE2's bow with a little man in the distance.
Could someone please tell me where there is any 'JOY' in these selected pictures..............but there again, maybe I'm missing something !

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
Re: August photo of the Month
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2011, 05:04 PM »
Next we have a back view of someone with his hands in his pockets, yet another sunset and some railings that could be from anywhere.

Not trying to be rude but that someone is me and believe me that is on the QE2.Leaving the North Cape and standing by the bow of the ship is was for me a joy.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2011, 05:12 PM »
Am I missing something ?   The topic of the August Picture of the Month comp. was for  "The best photo taken on an outer deck depicting the joy of sailing on QE2".
And the winners are.............A picture of sea, yet another sunset and a small part of the deck.  Next we have a back view of someone with his hands in his pockets, yet another sunset and some railings that could be from anywhere. Then we have a rather nice pic of an chair (empty) a lifebelt and sea. Finally we have a pic of the QE2's bow with a little man in the distance.
Could someone please tell me where there is any 'JOY' in these selected pictures..............but there again, maybe I'm missing something !

I understand your point, and I voted for your funnel bar photo which I absolutely love, however for this first year of the photo/calendar competition, we have just allowed the members to vote for their favourite photo in as close to a democratic process as we can make it for everybody!  The members have submitted and then chose the photos.

Part of the "problem", if there is one, is that despite all our best endeavours, only 13 people bothered to vote.

Behind the scenes, by the way, an enormous amount of volunteer spare time is being taken up the competition and related calendar competion - I'm sure its already reached 100 hours - so all help and comments appreciated!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2011, 05:53 PM »

Given that its a free to enter competition, and out of the 804 members, the only thing missing is more entries into the photo of the month. I think perhaps the photo of the month entries are like QE2 herself, you either "get it" or you dont, and if you dont then its hard to explain.
 There are no right and wrong photos, and indeed its upto the indivdual person who takes time to submit the photos what they make of the subject, and that can be half the fun..

Part of the "problem", if there is one, is that despite all our best endeavours, only 13 people bothered to vote.

And lm sorry to say l was one who didnt vote.. :-[

Frazscot As someone who has waited a few months before posting, it would be interesting to hear what you make of the site as a newcomer? and welcome onboard :)

From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Barrie Evans

« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2011, 08:53 PM »
I understand your point, and I voted for your funnel bar photo which I absolutely love, however for this first year of the photo/calendar competition, we have just allowed the members to vote for their favourite photo in as close to a democratic process as we can make it for everybody!  The members have submitted and then chose the photos.

Behind the scenes, by the way, an enormous amount of volunteer spare time is being taken up the competition and related calendar competion - I'm sure its already reached 100 hours - so all help and comments appreciated!

Hi Rob It looks like one of the problems is each member who thinks that they wont cast a vote, but collectively you get to the situation which happend this month. I must admit im totaly gob smacked at the lack of votes cast. I hold my hands up and admit i didnt cast a vote,as im new to the computer and im still learning each day. I will certainly try to support the forum in any subject that i can in the future.
Barrie Evans
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2011, 08:55 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2011, 05:42 PM »
Thank you for that resolve to be voting! Apart from making the process more democratic, it is of course also fun to take a detailed look at the pictures and weigh up the beauty and the merits of each. Enjoy  :) .

At the moment, two photo competitions are open for votes (deadline for both : this Saturday night, 1 October) :

QE2 on the Clyde : 9 votes so far

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,3538.0.html

QE2 crew at work : 14 votes so far :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,3540.0.html

Please add your voice to the choice before the polls close and the final pictures for the 2012 QE2Story calendar are chosen!

CKH

« Reply #6 on: Sep 28, 2011, 09:56 AM »
Am I missing something ?   The topic of the August Picture of the Month comp. was for  "The best photo taken on an outer deck depicting the joy of sailing on QE2".
And the winners are.............A picture of sea, yet another sunset and a small part of the deck.  Next we have a back view of someone with his hands in his pockets, yet another sunset and some railings that could be from anywhere. Then we have a rather nice pic of an chair (empty) a lifebelt and sea. Finally we have a pic of the QE2's bow with a little man in the distance.

Wow
Thank you so much for your comments glad you liked the pictures !,  "Joy" is in the eye of the beholder just because you may not like hands in pockets or another sun set (by the way the sun was not setting) does not mean others don't,
The point is to vote for the pictures entered don't like don't vote that simple really !
Why demean others efforts just because you may not agree this has always been a friendly forum with out all the moaning and bitching found on other QE2/Cunard forums and I for one would love to keep it that way,
So apologies to other members but I was proud of my efforts and proud to have one the competition so thanks to those that voted and maybe next time more will vote and some members may then be happy with the result especially if they win !!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2011, 12:20 PM »
The Photo of the month competition is about members submitting and voting for their favourite photo and also a wonderful way of gathering QE2 photos in the Gallery for all to enjoy.

I know everyone who has won the photo competition so far has communicated that they have been delighted that their photo has been chosen.  This is a fun competition which is just another way of keeping the memory of the QE2 alive through participation on the Forum.

So apologies to other members but I was proud of my efforts and proud to have one the competition so thanks to those that voted and maybe next time more will vote and some members may then be happy with the result especially if they win !!

Chris, your August Competition photo was without a doubt the favourite of all that voted and I know that many people have expressed their congratulations to you in the Photo Competition post.  You won fair and square and you are right to be proud of your efforts.  

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

CKH

« Reply #8 on: Sep 29, 2011, 09:31 AM »
Many thanks Lnyda

Even if my grammar needs to be looked at "One" instead of Won !!!!
Sorry to say righting from the heart not the brain on the last occasion.

Online frazscot

« Reply #9 on: Sep 29, 2011, 05:35 PM »
Well, I seem to have started some people thinking !   I was operating on the 'It does what it says on the tin' principal and if you look at the themes for other months it is plain and simple...........ie. QE2 in port, QE2 interiors, QE2 food and buffets.      Now I'm afraid that 'On deck : your best photo taken on an outer deck depicting the joy of sailing on QE2' should show that joy in a visible way.     It may well be that someone looking at a sunset (or sunrise) is very happy to be there but it DOES NOT SHOW JOY.
The pic of the deck chair is a well composed pic but it does not depict the joy of sailing on QE2, it's a picture of a chair !   (By the way it's probably the first time anyone has seen a deckchair without a book or bag 'sunbathing' on it !!)
I guess that 'A tender view' and 'Remember, Remember' give lots of images a chance and as I was probably the 3rd person to stand on the QE2 when the first section was lowered on to the slip way.........I love that ship !
By the way, is it possible to find out who might have used certain staterooms ?  On our last voyage in 2008 we were in 1049 and always used to wonder who had had the pleasure of such a lovely original first class stateroom.      My best wishes to all who contribute to 'The QE2 Story'

P&O 7-ship event in Southampton, 3 July 2012

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 14
Views: 6168
Last post Jul 12, 2012, 10:26 PM
by Peter Mugridge
Newsletter September 2012: 45th Anniversary of QE2 Launch

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard QE2 Story Newsletters

Replies: 0
Views: 2243
Last post Sep 18, 2012, 08:20 PM
by Lynda Bradford
New Years Eve on Queen Mary 2011-2012

Started by cunardqueenBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 20
Views: 10700
Last post Feb 01, 2012, 09:24 PM
by cunardqueen
PS Waverley timetable 2012

Started by No 736Board PS Waverley

Replies: 3
Views: 4024
Last post Sep 21, 2012, 04:05 PM
by Bruce Nicholls
QE2 story Clyde Gathering - 29th & 30th of June 2012

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events