Author Topic: P&O 7-ship event in Southampton, 3 July 2012  (Read 6169 times)

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

P&O 7-ship event in Southampton, 3 July 2012
« on: May 12, 2012, 10:58 AM »
Received from the Ocean Liner Society. If you are a member, you have probably read this already. If not, you might still get a place if any remain and you wish to participate.

In any case, if you live in or near Southampton, this might be a good evening to go out and watch!

-----------------

20 more places are available on the Ocean Liner Society charter of PRINCESS CAROLINE for the P&O 7-Ships Grand Event.

In 2012 P&O will celebrate 175 years of existence and on 3 July 2012, they will have all 7 ships of the current P&O fleet in Southampton to sail together as part of a celebratory flotilla. In order to participate in and celebrate this event in style, the Ocean Liner Society has chartered the Princess Caroline for our own Grand Event to celebrate and participate in this Grand event. Princess Caroline is one of the more characterful excursion ships in the Solent area and caters for parties and special events. With a restaurant deck and an open sided upper deck she provides a comfortable dining venue and excellent photographic platform. Those who have booked will receive a special souvenir ticket as illustrated below. The return to Southampton will now be around 22:30hrs.

Boarding from 15:00 and sailing at 15:30 from Southampton Ocean Village, we will cruise around Southampton docks to see the 7 ships all alongside and preparing to set sail. Then we will sail to the bottom of Southampton water to be in pole position as the ships steam in procession out towards the sea. After the ships have passed, and we’ve enjoyed the maximum possible chance to look at, photograph and participate in this unique occasion, we will sail slowly back towards Southampton whilst being served a 3 course silver service dinner, inspired by historic P&O menu items. We will return to the docks by around 22:30.

20 more places are now available priced £75 including dinner and a welcome drink. Send a cheque payable to the Ocean Liner Society to:-
Peter Godliman
Ocean Liner Society
Ship Visits Organiser
41 Burnham Lane
Slough
SL1 6LH

If you have any other queries please contact: shipvisits@ocean-liner-society.com

Offline Tyne Turbine

Re: P&O 7-ship event in Southampton, 3 July 2012
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 11:55 AM »
MV Balmoral of Waverley Excursions is also operating special sailings in the Solent on this day:

http://www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk/southcoastsussex.pdf

Offline Chris

P&O 7-ship event in Southampton, 3 July 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 03:49 PM »
Anyone planning to be there who would like to take some photos for us to use in our upcoming P&O book please let me know :)
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #4 on: Jul 03, 2012, 09:38 AM »
P&O's Grand Event is on the BBC News, all over Twitter and Southampton
Well Done to P&O - 175 years is something to be well proud about!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-18621904

Something about the great shipping line by the chairman, Lord Sterling.
http://175.pocruises.com/

Something serious that the Guardian chose to publish yesterday
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/jul/01/arcadia-cruise-ship-indian-crew
« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2012, 03:45 PM by Twynkle »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #6 on: Jul 04, 2012, 08:54 PM »
It must have been a nightmare to organise the disembarkation and embarkation for seven ships.  Not to mention the organising for the people who had come to Southampton to see the event. 

It would have been an amazing sight to see the seven ships sail out of Southampton but unfortunate that for the second time in a month the Red Arrows display was cancelled.  British weather has not been kind this summer. 

Congratulations to P&O  :)
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Bruce Nicholls

« Reply #7 on: Jul 04, 2012, 09:21 PM »
The disembarkation for the arriving ships was carried out at the Rosebowl (Southanpton cricket ground). All luggage was taken there together with all cars for those who had used the car parking. My Mother & Stepfather arrived on Adonia and said it was absolute chaos.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #8 on: Jul 04, 2012, 09:37 PM »
I was there watching from Town Quay.

Well, I say watching but also getting drenched!  Nevertheless, I have to say that even the less attractive modern cruise ships look quite impressive when there are 7 of them in one place, and the horn wars on departure were worth listening to! :)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline tdickson

« Reply #9 on: Jul 05, 2012, 01:59 AM »
Only the passengers and luggage from 2 out of 7 ships was transferred to the Rose (Ageas) Bowl cricket ground (Adonia 710 Aurora 1874 Normal operating capacity) as these are the two smallest ships in the fleet ,and bearing in mind there were nearly 30,000 passengers and not far off 100,000 pieces of luggage to prepare/move and disembark and embark during a beautiful english summers day ,most things went well considering. With the exception of a few hiccups at the Rose (Ageas) Bowl

Well done to P & O and all others in the massive operation on an historical day

Offline Bruce Nicholls

« Reply #10 on: Jul 05, 2012, 09:35 AM »
Chaos I have to point out was from the point of view of a couple in their mid 80's. They were on Adonia and to them it probably looked like the occupants of all 7 ships were at the Rose Bowl. They got home at a reasonable time so it must have gone fairly well.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #11 on: Jul 05, 2012, 07:00 PM »
  It must have been a nightmare to organise the disembarkation and embarkation for seven ships.  Not to mention the organising for the people who had come to Southampton to see the event. 

Imagine trying to get a taxi...... Heck even on a QE2 disembarkation day it could be a long wait.
I was always surprised why Cunard didnt try and organise buses to the railway station..£10 per person 50 pax on a coach..easy money.
I used to always dread the disembarkation day in terms of when you disembarked and the long line for a taxi you really had no idea what time of train you were catching and then the mad scramble to get the luggage on a train that isnt designed for cruise passengers, Though it did bring you back to earth with a bump. ::)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #12 on: Jul 12, 2012, 03:08 PM »
Does nobody read anything properly any more?!

I e-mailed P&O to offer them ( free ) a copy of my DVD footage from the sailing for their archives etc, asking to whom I should post a copy and at which address and I got a reply saying: "I have been advised that there are no plans to release a DVD of the Grand Event, however there is a lot of footage on our website please feel free to use this. I am really sorry for any disappointment this may cause."

;D ::) :-X
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2012, 03:14 PM by Peter Mugridge »
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline tdickson

« Reply #13 on: Jul 12, 2012, 05:54 PM »
If P & O dont want your footage ,maybe we could all have a look on this forum ,I"m sure it will be gladly received and viewed

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #14 on: Jul 12, 2012, 10:26 PM »
I'll need a volunteer with the right software and a YouTube membership to do that...  ;)