Author Topic: Synagogue on board  (Read 3450 times)

Cruise_Princess

Synagogue on board
« on: May 28, 2010, 09:57 AM »
Just wondering why their is no dedicated synagogues anymore on the new fleet?  It was so special for Jewish people on QE2 to be able to go the onboard synagogue......

Offline andy liney

Re: Synagogue on board
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 05:50 PM »
Just wondering why their is no dedicated synagogues anymore on the new fleet?  It was so special for Jewish people on QE2 to be able to go the onboard synagogue......

As a reminder....

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 08:15 PM »

On Caronia, there was no specific synagogue, and the Jewish congregation used the Theatre, just as the Christian congregations did there and on QE2. I always wondered why QE2 had a synagogue, but not a Christian chapel. Would anyone know?

I loved the Synagogue on QE2, and used to visit it during a quiet moment, but I would not have ventured to join the Sabbath celebrations there. On Caronia, where it was easy to wander into the Theatre and sit quietly in a corner, we were invited to do join the congregation. I have extraordinary memories of the people I got talking to as a result, including a couple who had experienced the concentration camps, as well as the post-war troubles which made it hard for them to reach Israel...

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 09:09 PM »
I remember on the final crossing slipping in there one night, not that lm jewish or anything,But previous times it was only a look through an open door.It was l always found a lovely cool place, and l took a seat and just sat and contemplated life, then my thoughts turned toward the room its self and wondered exactly what l was looking at and then thoughts turned to QE2 and where we were and where we were going and as l slipped out gently closing the door, thought l will never see this place again.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 10:22 PM »
Isabelle, the synagogue is remarkable; I believe QE2 is the only ship to have a place dedicated as such,
and it's the only place on board that remains completely unchanged.

Here's the link to the "Dismantling the Synagogue" topic
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,850.0.html
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2020, 06:10 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2018, 08:46 PM »
I took a whole series of photographs of the QE2 Synagogue in September 2008, you will find them here :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/albums/72157608999766831

At that time, the Synagogue was still intact, although the Chief Rabbi in London had already seen it and decided on its closure in October 2008 :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,850.msg92178.html#msg92178

kevinh

« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2018, 08:51 PM »
As a reminder....

So that's what the synagogue looked like. Must've been a real honor for those Jews who sailed on board. Makes me wish more and more that I've been there.

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #7 on: Apr 03, 2018, 04:42 PM »
Artists impression and plan of the Synagogue

Dismantling the Synagogue

Started by pjswanseaBoard QE2's Final Season and Final Voyage (2007/2008)

Replies: 19
Views: 7149
Last post Mar 10, 2018, 03:51 PM
by Michael Gallagher