Author Topic: Dismantling the Synagogue  (Read 7150 times)

pjswansea

Dismantling the Synagogue
« on: Aug 07, 2009, 10:28 AM »
Does any one know where the synagogue is since it's dismantling on the final cruises?
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2009, 06:36 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Synagogue?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2009, 02:39 PM »
Does any one know where the synagogue is since it's dismantling on the final cruises?

Its still there. They only removed the religious elements. 
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2009, 09:38 AM »
There are some shots of the Synagogue during the final voyage here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/singlemalt_ali/3291250394/in/set-72157614068636074/  (4 photos).

As you can see the room was intact, with the religious fittings removed.

I suspect its still just like that, but obviously don't know for sure.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

pjswansea

« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2009, 04:37 PM »
That's good as its one of the few completely intact rooms - with the political situation I was concerned!

Eric007

« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2010, 02:13 PM »
Hello everyone!

Are there any updates about the synagogue? I doubt that they will want to care about it in a strict muslim country. Bad things could have happened and that is scary.

I will go on searching your nice board now and post more if I have more time.

Eric

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #5 on: Jul 19, 2010, 02:16 PM »
The ship is completely intact, and as it was when it arrived in Dubai.

Cunard removed the religious elements of the Synagogue in August 2008.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #6 on: Jul 19, 2010, 11:48 PM »
Rob, I am certain the room, including all the religious articles was intact in October, for the Farewell to the UK cruise.  I visited the room on our first night onboard, making a point to see the room , and spoke to the Rabbi who explained the various items in the room to me, my son, and a few others that wandered in to see something very unique, knowing it was about to be dismantled.  :)  He went inot great detail regarding the prayer mounted on the wall in the rear of the room, a special dedication to the Queen and her family.  We also stopped in during the Cabin Cavalcade for a quick look at one of the truly original rooms onboard from 1969: the woodworking simple, yet timeless.

« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2010, 11:52 PM by highlander0108 »
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #7 on: Jul 20, 2010, 12:13 AM »
Apologies!  I remembered that it was dismantled after somethign important - i thought it was after my cruise, but now i think it must have been after the final transatlantics?

Offline QueensFan

« Reply #8 on: Jul 20, 2010, 01:26 AM »
IIRC, it was dismantled during the 5-day cruise after the final TAs. Though I think that the dismantling was largely the removal of religious artefacts and symbols in the room.
--- Greg

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #9 on: Jul 20, 2010, 01:29 AM »
Yes, I watched it being dismantled and took some photos.

Online Scott Ebersold

« Reply #10 on: Jul 20, 2010, 06:40 AM »
Yes, definitely after the final TAs.  I was very humbled to see the room on the westbound final TA knowing it was soon to be dismantled.

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #11 on: Jul 20, 2010, 10:45 AM »
The Synagogue was officially closed on 27 October 2008 and items carefully packed with most going to the Chief Rabbis Office in London.

Eric007

« Reply #12 on: Jul 20, 2010, 11:07 AM »
Thanks for the pictures and all of the information.

Offline Andy Holloway

Dismantling the Synagogue
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2018, 11:13 AM »
After writing my last post i got to thinking about the QE2 having a Synagogue.

So 2 questions;

Was the Synagogue on QE2 the only one at sea?

What has happened to the Synagogue now that QE2 is owned and run by an Arab country? Is it still there?

There was one of the onboard Musicians who was Jewish and used to be the 'leader' for all things involved in the Synagogue.
I r member talking to him once about it and he told me some interesting bits of information.

The ship paid one of the Filipino Utilities to go into the Synagogue on The Sabbath after the last service of the day to snub the candles out, as the Jewish congregation were not allowed to do that themselves, as it was classified as 'Work' and Jews are not allowed to 'Work' on the Sabbath. The ship also paid extra to the Filipino Utility to clean the Synagogue which was always done under the 'supervision' of a Jew.
There were a couple of other things he told me nut i can't remember them now, cue to get thinking cap on!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
Re: Dismantling the Synagogue
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2018, 04:19 PM »
What has happened to the Synagogue now that QE2 is owned and run by an Arab country? Is it still there?

As far as I know, the room is still there (was when Rob visited in 2011) but had all religious material and maybe references removed which I presume would be acceptable to the current owners. I stand to be corrected on this though - and haven't heard anything about the former Synagogue in recent years so am not sure the room even exists in this manner anymore given the renovation and rebuilding work that has occurred onboard in some of the passenger cabin/suite areas (maybe on Three Deck where the Synagogue is).

Was the Synagogue on QE2 the only one at sea?

This website says so along with a host of other QE2 facts (but one wonders if the ZIM Lines ships had them - such as SS Shalom - for example? On a side note I was surprised to see ZIM Lines is still operating but purely as a cargo shipping company).

http://maritime.elettra.co.uk/qe2//atoz/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zim_Integrated_Shipping_Services

Thomas
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Mysterious B & Q Deck dismantling during construction

Started by Bob C.Board QE2 Build

Replies: 2
Views: 4143
Last post Mar 24, 2009, 11:24 PM
by KEV