Author Topic: Carnival appoints an Admiral  (Read 2831 times)

Offline Twynkle

Carnival appoints an Admiral
« on: Apr 15, 2010, 10:00 AM »
Curiously - Carnival have appointed an Admiral!
Bit of a shame really, that Admiral Sir Jonathan Band wasn't in situ at Carnival before any decision was made about the future of QE2!  With so much nautical experience and sense of maritime history, it would be interesting to know what recommendation he would have made!

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/2010/04/carnival-appoints-an-admiral.html
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2010, 06:17 PM by Twynkle »

Cruise_Princess

Re: Carnival appoints an Admiral
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2010, 04:51 PM »
An Admiral?  ALL  a bit Mickey Mouse isn't it......when does the" Admiraless "come along.....next week????

Sorry.....not my scene...Admirals earn their position in the Royal Navy...this is just making a joke of the whole thing....pretty childish.

Wonder what Nelson would think of this one???

Offline Cruisemarsh

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2010, 06:30 PM »
An Admiral?  ALL  a bit Mickey Mouse isn't it......when does the" Admiraless "come along.....next week????

Sorry.....not my scene...Admirals earn their position in the Royal Navy...this is just making a joke of the whole thing....pretty childish.

Wonder what Nelson would think of this one???

I have to agree with you Cruise_Princess. Admirals are for the Royal Navy and shouldn't be brought into cruising. In my opinion it is another tacky and tastelss move from Carnival.
Queen Elizabeth 2: Legendary Grand Dame of the Seas.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2010, 01:06 PM »
Oh my goodness...DON'T tell me the next thing he will have a full dress uniform just like that mad guy on those Admiral Insurance ads a couple of years back.....
( just another photo opportunity ....onboard revenue making and  tacky Carnival joke.)!!

Hope he stays clear of Cunard....but somehow I doubt it....the dumbed down cruisers of today will just  lap it up......boasting stories post cruise that they met the ADMIRAL!!!

WOW!!!!!  I'm totally unimpressed.

I rest my case....

( Much like the idiotic ringing of the bell at Midday  in the Lobby on QM2.....What's THAT all about????)   Maybe soon passengers can ring the bell  and PAY for the privelage!!    YEAHHHHH!!!!  Brill idea for me...I'm  pure dead brilliant I am!! LOL

Maybe I can get an elevated position with Carnival???  ( On top of the funnel!)  LOL
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2010, 01:14 PM by Cruise_Princess »

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2010, 02:19 PM »
Couple of years back?  They're still showing those adverts...!!

I agree with the others; Admirals are for the Navy.  All this "appointment" shows is how out of touch the boardrooms are getting with tradition.  Still, at least that is consistent with all this "rooms" and "floors" rot isn't it?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2010, 05:02 PM »
Precisely....Admiral of the Fleet is truly an honourable position to hold...

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #6 on: Apr 16, 2010, 06:34 PM »
Admiral Sir Jonathan Band was also First Sea Lord of the RN.
Maybe he wanted to -  help/ stay in touch, or perhaps was necessary, even. :)

« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2010, 06:36 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #7 on: Apr 16, 2010, 11:35 PM »
The fact that a retired senior Naval rank retains the last title held is a bit irrelevant when Carnival are trying to imply ( from the way their publicity is stating it anyway ) that he is an Admiral of Carnival.

It's not them appointing the Admiral that's the problem; it's the way it's being presented.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #8 on: Apr 17, 2010, 05:21 PM »
I agree,,,the man who has been elected for the job will be of incredibly high standing...you don't get much better than an Admiral of the Royal Navy.....but Carnival are turning it round  to their cruiseship benefit and I do not agree with that at all....

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #9 on: Apr 17, 2010, 07:06 PM »
I agree,,,the man who has been elected for the job will be of incredibly high standing...you don't get much better than an Admiral of the Royal Navy.....but Carnival are turning it round  to their cruiseship benefit and I do not agree with that at all....

Hello Cruise Princess,

I hope you don't mind my asking - I'm not sure what you mean!
You say that you don't agree with Carnival appointing someone with a considerable amount of experience.
Surely, it could only be a very good thing!
The Admiral has a certain style for starters, something that may well be akin to the type of style that matches QE2's heritage :) !!

If he can improve the safety and security of ships that look as if they might have the ability do a somersault in a breeze,
or be a pushover by maritime highwaymen - then why not?
Rosie

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #10 on: Apr 17, 2010, 07:32 PM »
I think the Royal Navy and a Cruise  holiday company are 2 ENTIRELY different things...I think its making a mockery of someone with such high standing as Admiral of the  Fleet in the Navy to come down to a level of a holiday business... its the way his position is being used  it;s very Disney/hollywood....a GIMMICK   ..I just don't think it's right.  Its very Americanised.  Definately not suitable for British Cunarders...Cruise ship Companies  do not need to have Admirals , its' out of place and inappropriate  An Admiral is  a military position,  which is used to defend our Queen and Country. Cruising is  a totally different ball game.

This is a  very important position that applies only for the  Royal Navy .  By all means they could utilise this persons experience and have another name for his position more in keeping with the cruise holiday industry.and  therefore have no references to our Senior Service, which to be honest I think is insulting to our Navy.
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2010, 07:36 PM by Cruise_Princess »

Carnival and The Liner

Started by Cruise_PrincessBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 10
Views: 2395
Last post Aug 30, 2010, 12:45 PM
by Twynkle
Carnival Cruise Lines Death at sea...

Started by cunardqueenBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 1
Views: 1831
Last post Oct 23, 2013, 09:25 PM