Author Topic: Whats the future for Cruising?  (Read 1377 times)

Cruise_Princess

Whats the future for Cruising?
« on: Mar 31, 2010, 10:52 AM »
Cruising is in booming.....so what does the future hold?  What will it be like in another say ten years or so?  Will the folks just finding cruising today be like us now ....( its not the same anymore??)  Whats your thoughts? Will it last? How long? Whats gonna happen to all these  ugly new builds in 10 or so years time when their limited life comes to an end...

I think that eventually it will be like hotel , pay room only...its all heading that way already...pay for food, ( probably may have one self serve buffet type included in the price but definitely NOT fine dining) and  entertainment,...room servicing etc...much like Easy cruise had tried....even early boarding will eventually have a charge levied......maybe even the ladies will have  a penny slot on the door.....( you have to use your own cabin!).  Luggage restrictions...any extra cases have a charge....and extra to have it delivered to your cabin....maybe have to take it on board yourself to save charges.!   It all revolves around revenue so I don't think my thoughts are unrealistic.....they might even decide to charge to let us off down the gangway , before we head to the carousel to pick up our  own luggage? ! LOL

On a more serious note though...I do think with the ships becoming larger and larger....there is a major  accident just around the corner. and maybe extra on board 'policing will become the norm,with the type of passenger now being carried. and whats happening onboard...fights , theft ,etc...( mostly alcohol fuelled) ...I think you know what I mean.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Re: Whats the future for Cruising?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2010, 10:59 AM »
Yes, I think there are problems ahead, and it will only take one major accident to one of these new builds ( or some highly publicised serious social problem on board ) to knock the market for six.  Statistically, it is a certainty that sooner or later one of these mega ships will be lost at sea.

As to the pricing - that sounds very Ryanairish, which would be a bad thing and probably generate a fair bit of adverse publicity, but as long as accountants are in charge it may be difficult to stop it happening.  There will hopefully still be one or two "full service" lines sailing amongst all that mass, and hopefully Cunard will be one of them, but I suspect it may have to be down to an independent line set up specially for the purpose to keep the traditional market...
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Mauretania1907

Re: Whats the future for Cruising?
« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2010, 09:23 AM »
One already has to pay through the nose if one desires a cabin to one's self. Already they have the premier restaurant one has to book and pay extra for, so your bleak look at the future does not seem so absurd. Sooo.. my money goes to the cruise that is NOT on a huge ship, but a somewhat more managable and shiplike one. No huge Atoll of the Waves permanently anchored, pretending to be an island because she/it is too fat to move.

e-ticketing, whats your thoughts

Started by cunardqueenBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 24
Views: 6323
Last post Jun 26, 2010, 05:07 PM
by RmsAquitania
1995 : Whats New On The QE2?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard The 1990s

Replies: 0
Views: 1353
Last post Apr 24, 2013, 10:37 PM
by Rob Lightbody