Author Topic: e-ticketing, whats your thoughts  (Read 6323 times)

Online cunardqueen

Re: e-ticketing, whats your thoughts
« Reply #15 on: Mar 28, 2010, 08:56 PM »
So obvious  that MR M had NO IDEA what QE2 was or is....he is solely responsible for ruining cruising in the UK,..( sorry thats my opinion

I think when you consider just how much of a boom there has been in cruising. My first trip was in 1986 when cruising was much less popular and cruise brochures were relegated to the lower shelf in travel agents and then it was Cunard or P&O and that was about it, maybe CTC lines. You paid your fare as quoted in the brochure, no discounts or on board credit and everyone knew how much you were paying by the cabin you had

The standard of passenger was l always thought much higher than some of todays standards, back then the people l seemed to meet had saved up for a one off cruise, and there didnt seem the one upmanship that  goes on these days, the dress code was idiot proof, formal or informal, now look at the shambles we have and it isnt even enforced.

Ok so a lot of folks dont want the stuck up formal atmosphere white gloved afternoon tea. they see the ship as only a means of getting there and the various ports are the destination (can you imagine that) And for them there are Island cruises, RCI,and the Carnival Fun ships.
Lets face it QE2 on a one night or 2 nighter the service can hardly be 5 star.The yacht club was a frenzy with drinks served in warm glasses,The crew didnt really like these short taster trips & attitude of the some of the staff who assumed you were out for a party, it changed when they realised you knew the score, sitting down for breakfast with a table of 5 who all were Thompson cruisers who rated it above dear old QE2 and when the fried eggs arrived and they were still very raw,Heck they couldnt even cook the eggs properly was the response. They couldnt appreciate that this was history in the making, the atmosphere and all that had gone before them, the gents even had the brass neck to wear the tie loose and the top button undone, such things may be the norm on other ships, But this was dear old QE2, MY ship and no one had the right to make any adverse comments about her.

The brand CUNARD was always a very good brand, you were assured that things would be done as they should be as has happened since the start, Now the brand Cunard has the youngest fleet in the world, and while that may be  a nice publicity stunt, I tend to think on it like this, with youth comes a certain kind of naive ness, they are not quite worldy wise or have the correct ways with them, Where as with age & QE2 came the wisdom of years behind her, a product that outshone the rest and a customer loyality that could only be envied.

So perhaps we are now seeing the new face of Cunard, (or is it Princess or p&o or Carnival)We hear them all in phone calls or letters   they go on about white star service when it suits, but we had better service years ago, the staff smiled because they wanted to,not because they had to, they greeted you by name because they knew you, not because they had to remember who you are, and the special parties were just that bit more special.

Cruise princess l fear we have seen cruising at its best and now its on the downward slope to Carnivalisation, If someone had said to me 10 years ago the future is downloadable forms and bag tags , l would have smiled and probably agreed with them, safe in the comfort it would never apply to a Cunard voyage, and now look what we have! and l hate to go onabout it :'(,

Its  a funny thing progress, it usually invloves cost cutting and the emphasis that it gives a better service.
 Around this time of year l used to always get quite jittery with the awaited launch of the latest QE2 brochure, and when it arrived there was always the blind panic as what voyages could be made,the agents get in on the act with low prices and we are the best so book with us attitude and to pre register to register for a voyage  then latterly it was so hyped up the pulse rate would increase and lm surprised l never dropped with heart palpitations.
But l think when we reflect on our dear old QE2 and her final voyages going on sale and how quickly they sold out for what was for a 40 year old ship, Compared  to the new hype with these newer ones and that a voyage on a ship we know little about can sell out quicker than a classic ship we all know and loved, Perhaps this tell us something about the way the Carnival cruising  lark is going, One thing l know for sure, Its not Cunard as we know.
 Anyway enough of my ramblings l still have to go and look at this years brochure to see what l missed out before next years arrive, and lord knows when that will be opened up.      
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2010, 10:06 PM by Cunardqueen »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

RmsAquitania

« Reply #16 on: Mar 28, 2010, 11:00 PM »
I hate this e-ticket malarky. We have paid enough without having to print our own tickets and labels, its not like weve only paid a few quid for a cheap flight on easy jet- then i dont mind printint my own. Regarding Cunard, I was always excited when my QE2 tikets came in that fake leather wallet, it kinda made me feel important and that the holliday was becoming a reality - if that makes sense. :)

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #17 on: Mar 29, 2010, 08:44 AM »
Myles...you mirror my feelings exactly....but what can we do? Just stay home with our memories...or do we venture out on the young fleet and moan about it....its a difficult one ...specially when we had it at its best....but we are so lucky...As you say Qe2 was NEVER for short stint cruises I even remember the crew were not happy doing med cruises....MED CRUISES for god sake.they called them the Kays Cruises,,,,( ill leave you to work that one out)...

All I want to do is sail ont he  oceans and have a couple of ports here and there and enjoy the ship.....thats what they are for,,I can see 7 or 8 cities in a week on a coach tour.......yes we could ramble for ever and go off topic....thing is we are over 30  or so....and on the scrap heap as far as cruise companies are concerned....they arent interested in us ...or what we wear to dinner, nor our talbe manners etc,,,,they just want onboard revenue...int he bars, etc ......its what everything is about these days...MONEY....

Now I feel about 150!! LOL

Yes......we truly had the best of it over the past 20 or so years...and everyone else who has done it knows that too      ...and so does Cunard
God Bless QE2! and thankyou.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #18 on: Jun 04, 2010, 03:44 PM »
The saga continues with this in the cruise international magazine

<broken image link removed>
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2022, 04:59 PM by Rob Lightbody »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline QE2 Canuck

« Reply #19 on: Jun 04, 2010, 04:04 PM »
I don't like the thoughts of E tickets.. but what can you do..... I'm sailing on QM2 in July and just received my pre-cruise documents from Cunard through my travel agent......and included in those documents were 6 luggage tags ..don't have to print them out.....and my travel agent will get the E tickets for me.....and.... I kept all my Cunard ticket wallets from all my past voyages... so I guess there was a reason to keep them after all..

Linda C

richc1977

« Reply #20 on: Jun 07, 2010, 09:50 PM »
For my trips on the QE2 I had a black leather wallet and a personally printed booklet.

Is that not an e-ticket?  Has anyone got a photo of one of these..........they're not like airline e-tickets are they?

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #21 on: Jun 07, 2010, 10:38 PM »
Richard, no that's a proper ticket.

I'm afraid these e-ticket things are exactly like the budget airline things... >:(
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

richc1977

« Reply #22 on: Jun 14, 2010, 05:52 PM »
Really?  But that's awful.

You're sailing on Cunard.  Not going Ryanair!

I shall treasure mine for the rest of my life then.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #23 on: Jun 22, 2010, 11:06 PM »
Just back today from the Ocean Countess............say no more.  will fill  you in over the coming days..

didn't even get a ticket.......'E'  or otherwise!

See y'all on Friday at the get together!

RmsAquitania

« Reply #24 on: Jun 26, 2010, 05:07 PM »
Got back this week from the Costa Fortuna, gee I ran out of bloody ink downloading all the tickets labels etc etc