Author Topic: 5th June 2012, 3 Queens Southampton  (Read 35015 times)

Offline Twynkle

Re: 5th June 2012, 3 Queens Southampton
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2012, 12:59 PM »

lucky you! sounds like you'll have a fab time with lots of like minded people!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

Hey Rob - Come on Down!
there'll still be room on the wee boats -
Please DO!

« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 01:00 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2012, 01:32 PM »
Hope to meet up with some of the QE2 Story members in Southampton if this can be arranged!   :)

Try hanging around the Blue Funnel terminal prior to their 14.30 round the docks trip sailing and immediately after that gets back at 15.30, thereafter try the Hythe Ferry terminal... ;)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2012, 01:58 PM »
I don't think this has happened yet but if anyone thinks it's a good idea, Can someone who knows Southampton please suggest somewhere sensible to meet before/after (could have both to suit different people) so that members can meet other members. I dont

Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2012, 02:03 PM »
If people are watching from Southampton itself, Town Quay may be a good location.

If people are watching from Hythe, then the best place there is not in fact the pier as the work on the far end is still not finished and the barriers are still up, but the front just south of the pier.

As it is a late sailing I would suggest meeting at either location is best done "before".
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2012, 03:40 PM »
I am looking forward to another great day in Southampton on 5 June, I have tickets for Blue Funnel's arrival and departure jaunts to accompany those great ships. The magnificence of the Diamond Jubilee will set the tone for a truely British celebration.

I agree with Myles, what a great photo opportunity, will the three Queens actually have the space / depth to sit side by side, I hope something like this will be arranged.

Watch this space, perhaps we will have a QE2 Story get together, a time will be proposed when Final details of the day are available nearer the time.

John - Have you managed to find further news regarding timetables/fixtures  yet?
Hopefully we will manage a QE2 meet-up

How about 'Afternoon Tea' - at about 3.30 - 4.00pm in a Pub!

Or - maybe a bit later, after the Red Arrows??
Food at some time before the sailaway of the little Blue Funnel sailing will be impt too!

Lynda - it's great that you both can stay too.
Rosie

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2012, 05:39 PM »
Afternoon tea may be a good idea but need a venue where there is the option for a beer for the guys as well. 

There should be plenty of hotels serving afternoon tea including the De Vere where we are staying. 

I also noticed the Grand Cafe SOUTH WESTERN HOUSE, SOUTHAMPTON, SO14 3AS is celebrating the Diamond Jubilee event.
http://www.grand-cafe.co.uk/home/

Special offer - Afternoon Tea £20 per couple. But booking required. 
http://www.grand-cafe.co.uk/events/celebrate-60-years-of-glorious-majesty-at-grand-cafe3/

Does anyone from the Southampton area know if this is an okay venue?
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2012, 07:48 PM »
Lynda - THanks for your suggestions, and I was doing a bit of a 'tongue in cheek' thing when I wrote Afternoon Tea!
One of the best pubs is the White Star Tavern, in Oxford St, although it can get noisy in the evenings.
However, like most other places it's not cheap, although they do food as well as beer etc
Also it's not too far from Ocean Village where the evening boats will be leaving from.... as well as within walking distance from the hotels near Mayflower Park etc

(Personally, being on an extremely limited budget,
we wouldn't manage a 'cuppa for a tenner', or a £14.50 Afternoon Tea as advertised in the Grand Cafe
however we'd be happy to join a gathering wherever you choose :)  )

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2012, 08:15 PM »
I will keep checking this post, while cruising,  for information on what is decided.  Hopefully we can meet up even if it is just for a coffee or a drink  :)
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2012, 11:30 PM »
Im sure this is the wrong location, and its maybe a bit late to suggest BUT wouldnt it be quite nice with the Thames flotilla if one of QE2s tenders could have been there.. and even (if they can spare it) a tender from QM2 and QE, given that Her Majesty launched these ships. 
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Cunarder Man

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2012, 11:39 AM »
How about a QE2 Story afternoon picnic?

There will be lots going on Around the waterfront and it is all likely to be really busy. I know a number of us are staying within walking distance of the De Vere hotel and we are staying at the Holiday Inn.  Most of us are heading out on the water in the evening and Mayflower park may be a good area for viewing the Red Arrows.

There's a garden area at the holiday inn and if it's wet I'm sure they'll be able to accommodate us inside. Say meeting time 1430 and depending on numbers we'll suggest the picnic format & requirements.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2012, 11:12 PM »
If you're all at Mayflower Park at 14.30, I'll wave from the Blue Funnel trip when it goes past - and here's a challenge for you all; get a photo of me as I go past...!!  ;D

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2012, 09:14 AM »
I love the idea of a picnic, it seems very much in keeping with the spirit of the forum and the day itself.  However it's not my call because I'll unfortunately not make it down to join you all.

Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2012, 11:07 PM »
How about a QE2 Story afternoon picnic?

There will be lots going on Around the waterfront and it is all likely to be really busy. I know a number of us are staying within walking distance of the De Vere hotel and we are staying at the Holiday Inn.  Most of us are heading out on the water in the evening and Mayflower park may be a good area for viewing the Red Arrows.

There's a garden area at the holiday inn and if it's wet I'm sure they'll be able to accommodate us inside. Say meeting time 1430 and depending on numbers we'll suggest the picnic format & requirements.

This is a great idea - and Thank you!
Here's the latest re. times etc for events in Southampton
http://www.southampton.gov.uk/news-events/events/allevents/cunard-three-queens-diamond-jubilee.asp

Online Cunarder Man

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2012, 02:10 PM »
QE2 Story Diamond Jubilee & Three Queens Picnic 5 June 2012 1430 Meet at Holiday Inn.

Confirmed:
Cunarder Man & 1
Twynkle & 3
Lynda & 1

Bring your flags!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2012, 03:59 PM »
'Well Mr Shanks, that's just plain Mean'!
If your Three Ships are to Come Sailing By even earlier than expected - and our Blue Funnel small ship has to get up even earlier too - there'll be the need for extra bacon sandwiches, not to mention double rations of coffee....
Specially as we'll have not slept for longer than the space between the end of the Jubilee Rock Concert and 3.15am BST
We will now be embarking at four blooming fifteen hundred hours - please will you make very, very sure that the whistles are clean, and ready to blast the entire way round The Brambles, past Warsash, and on up Southampton Water...
If the times have been changed because of the tides - then maybe it's helpful to remember that Commodore Warner and Mighty Mary came in on April 19th 2011 on the lowest tide in living memory :)

Lynda - hope you'll be there to watch us wave!
And expect that you are having a lovely time up in the Arctic Sea,
Hope too that you'll see those magnificent Lofoten Islands - it'll be great to hear all about it!

« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 04:04 PM by Twynkle »