Author Topic: Departing Southampton on 14/04/2019 (107 years to the day of Titanic's sinking)  (Read 206 times)

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
Hi everyone,

Here's my video of QM2's most recent Southampton departure after returning from her 2019 World Cruise:

I filmed using my DSLR on my tripod in very windy conditions at Town Quay hence using copyright free and free music from YouTube's audio library (chosen to mimic the ambient synth/electronic music in the 1990s era QE2 documentaries when showing her arriving or departing Southampton and other ports) after muting the wind noise filled original audio (I don't have any microphone covers or dead cats as they are known in the business unfortunately).

My setup was blown over in the wind about halfway through recording but luckily the DLSR is all fine (cameras can be wrecked internally by being dropped particularly if a DLSR with the prisms and lenses and all) apart from a few scratches. The first time this has ever happened (and hopefully the last) despite using tripods and cameras on deck on QE2 and QM2 in the past! The wind was around 20 to 25 mph across the end of Town Quay with nothing to stop it and it was a bloody cold easterly wind despite the day not being particularly cold otherwise!

I also took photos with my DSLR (it's primary purpose) which I will share a selection of in this topic/thread once I have got around to uploading them to Flickr.

Finally, I have footage of Oriana (in particular) and Navigator of the Seas filmed on my DSLR and Samsung from last year that I need to sort out and upload to YouTube sometime...

Anyway that's enough of an essay from me!
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Great video, Thomas !  Thanks for sharing !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Marlow, Shanks departing...

Started by ship proBoard Cunard

Replies: 29
Views: 9408
Last post Oct 04, 2013, 10:52 AM
by holynougat