Author Topic: Pete Cain's review and comparison of Saga Ruby with QE2  (Read 14564 times)

Offline pete cain

Sailed on 'Wet nose 'Vikki, 12 months ago to the date, & have posted a few disparaging posts on the forum about Carnivor, & since said cruise have not had a single contact from CUNARD or whoever about, my 'World Club' status ; anybody got suggestions ,(please don't post cos I couldn't give a damm) Have since found SAGA ROSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Pete Cain's review and comparison of Saga Ruby with QE2
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2011, 09:25 PM »
Tell us more, Pete! I think you mean Saga Ruby, still sailing the ocean blue.

I loved her as Caronia; a beautiful ship like a mini-QE2, and great service on board.

How is she under Saga? I have seen some pictures and notede the changed decor, but the public spaces looked pretty much intact.

There was talk that the cabins would be made smaller by Saga (our reaction was, how could this be possible?). Looking forward to a review and some pictures if you have any. Very tempted to take the same route myself...

Offline pete cain

« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2011, 05:36 PM »
Dear Isabelle, Yes I did mean Saga Ruby, got all het up & ended up with a typo (nothing unususl there eh) .
          Anyway , it's unbelievable how you mention Ruby being a mini QE2,I took quite a few pictures whilst onboard, with that
           same intention of a comparison to QE2. Am currently working on said project with Bobso, he's so kind & doing all the techie
          stuff, it might take a bit of time liasing & etc, but we will get there!. 
         Ruby is quite magnificent to behold, I didn't think I'd be so taken with a ship as I was QE2, but there you have it,yes they are
           looking after her really well,yes the cabin we had was a wee bit small (say for a world cruise , if your lucky enough), but for a weeks sampler to the fijords, it was fine.  The food excellent, the clientele would not be out of place on QE2. The hotel staff were very attentive to the needs of elder passengers especially moreso crossing the North Sea in a force 8 .The acid test is would I return, the simple answer is yes absolutely,whilst she's still around to be enjoyed; whereas would I return  to Carnival, a resounding NO.Could go on  but we'll return to this topic soon . Pete...

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2011, 06:30 PM »
Hi Pete!
Good to see you around these parts!

Here are a couple of sets of thumbnail pics to remind you of your time onboard the wonderful Saga Ruby
Hope you are able to see them - if not, then go to the search window of flickr.com
and put in Saga Ruby, and lots will appear!
All the very best to you :)
Rosie

Interiors
https://www.flickr.com/photos/watch_keeper/sets/72157620413494802/with/3654781897/
Exterior
https://www.flickr.com/photos/watch_keeper/sets/72157620278727957/

Offline pete cain

« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2011, 12:52 PM »
Ruby a study in teak

Offline pete cain

« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2011, 01:09 PM »
   Recently my wife & I had the priveledge of sailing with Saga Ruby, whilst on a taster cruise; I had my one & only 'Road to
   Damascus ' moment in life & deceided that I had discovered the great similarities between QE2 & Ruby, (should've remembered
   this string , in which I've posted in the past).Took a few snaps to prove my theory, enlisted the generous help of Bobso, who
   resized them for me to post.

I've already posted my 1st as a test ,  A study in Teak, the first thing you notice upon boarding are the ample wooden decks,
   shiny wooden handrails, & wide open prommenade decks on which you can do a full uninterupted circuit , including her 'bit under
   the bridge'.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2011, 01:38 PM »
 Ruby has a very generous, Aft end, with an abundance of tables & etc spread over 2 decks, just the thing when looking aft,
 doing about 20Knts, feeling the pulsating props under you feet, & remembering doing the same on QE2. Upon turning round &
 looking forward, you cannot help but notice the tiered flights of stairs so reminescent of QE2's layout.

As has been said, by previous people Ruby strikes you as Mini sized QE2 , actually by about a 1/3 apparently, this  could leave the
 viewer a certain 'cluttered appearance' impression, in my opinion she's the real meaning of 'Bijou'.

As on QE2 , & I suppose because it is a failsafe deck arrangement, & has been adopted on many ships , you come straight out of
 the cosy Lido onto the open after deck.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2011, 02:19 PM »
  Possibly, the last, or at least one of the few remaining viewable working areas at sea today, it's an absolute pleasure to stand,
  leaning on the rail & watch the deck party strut their stuff, when entering or leaving port, (just got to be there even in the rain ,
  because this sort of thing isn't going to be around to see for that much longer    Fact). You cannot get more of a comparrison
 with QE2 than this ,in my opinion.

One final & very important similarity here is Ruby's voice, she has a two tone horn ,but most she has the most sound alike baritone
  to QE2, & it took me by complete surprise , whilst leaning on the rail looking forward, leaving port, she sounded that horn, the
  unexpected reverbrations through your ribs & that sound, were quite unnerving, I never ever thought I'd experience that again.

Once again in comparrison to QE2 her deck area could be viewed as cramped, but it all works beautifully,she also has a working
   thruster system, so although we sometimes had Tug pressence, none was required , untill arriving back in Dover.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2011, 02:24 PM »
  Ruby can lay claim to a few beauty spots just like QE2,although nowhere near as many because she has a steel upper deck, as 
  opposed to the Aluminium on QE2, she wears them well .

Offline pete cain

« Reply #9 on: Oct 30, 2011, 02:38 PM »
  Ruby, has an abundance of 'golf ball' type lighting fittings around the open deck, a distinct similarity to those fitted onboard QE2,
  alright just about every cruise ship has these sort of fittings but,  QE2 & Ruby are contempories these  might even have been
  supplied by the same manufacturer?. Anyway walking those Teak decks at night, after dinner & with those lights  all around you
  then, well you know the rest..............

A comparrison shot with QE2's lights, was trying to be all arty farty here with the moon.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #10 on: Oct 30, 2011, 02:50 PM »
  Nobody but nobody can dispute the absolute , & beautifull lines that Ruby posses, a gracefull sheer, the almost central positioning
  of the funnel, the beautifully rounded stern,  all of these can be compared directly  with QE2, (only as said previously on a much
  smaller scale).

On both ships  it's a known fact that these things were designed for sea keeping qualities & etc, but they are a feast to the eye.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #11 on: Oct 30, 2011, 03:02 PM »
  The last of external shots hoping to prove the well documented theory.

Ruby alonside in Flamm,

light reflected on QE2's stbd side in Lisbon 2008,

the same (fluke shot) of Ruby in Flamm, how alike is that? a wee bit tenuous to promote an argument, but worth a try.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #12 on: Oct 30, 2011, 04:20 PM »
  Ruby like the QE2 posses light & airy public spaces, with picture windows, & being full ship width, these rooms give splendid ocean views. These modern cruise ships don't seem so well bestowed . However Ruby doesn't possess the beautiful indoor prommenades
as does QE2, bit of a shame because she's wide enough to've taken them.

The Ball Room could pass for the Queens Room on QE2, both rooms serve the same functions,  with dancing, afternoon teas, assembly points for equally well organised tours & etc. Without of course on Ruby those fibreglass pillars!.   On Ruby the Ballroom spills naturally into the Lido behind , & at busy times
of breakfast & lunch (when many people don't seem to want to eat in the formal Dining Room) the rearmost tables are set for the inevetable overspill, a good use of space & most certainly a quieter experience than sitting in the Lido.

The Dining Room, situated below the Ball room & more or less the same size, has the same fantastic open sea views giving it a lovely feel & on light evenings certainly enhances the dining experience,the room however is a little stretched when all passengers are seated  for dinner at more or less the same time. However service to the table is enhanced by the use of 2 escalators sited in the centre of the room , these go directly to the kitchens &are discreetly hidden by panneling, didn't see it untill 3 days in & walking past.

Only got a small point & shoot camera so am sorry 1 sided view only but gives you the feel of it I hope.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #13 on: Oct 30, 2011, 04:43 PM »
 Ruby has a small intimate bar on port side, named The South Cape Bar somewhat forward of the Ballroom, the feel if not the decor of this space mirrors the Chart Room onboard QE2, situated behind the bar on the lefthand side is a well anchored baby grand, it was lovely going in there before dinner listening to the music , eating a few provided nibbles, & having  a nice glass of something.

Directly forward of The South Cape bar is Rubys ace card, a full 180 degree lounge with of course splendid ocean views,
  something QE2 did have, but unfortunately taken from her.These two rooms naturally spill into each other , so if the South
  Cape Bar is Full you can still enjoy the music filtering through if seated in the Lounge, the Lounge has a small dance floor
  & sometimes a trio would perform in there as an alternative.

Directly behind the Lounge is the cinema, another Bijou feature on Ruby, brilliant,no noise in the lounge from the cinema
  so obviously really well soundproofed, to the right (stbd)of the cinema & directly opposite the South Cape bar , is the Library
  all previously mentioned rooms with lovely big windows & beautifully decorated.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #14 on: Oct 30, 2011, 04:54 PM »
  One final piece of comparrison,is the wooden veneers used on both ships,very similar, & once again giving you that familiar feel,
  when walking about.
    Stair case on Ruby
    Staircase on QE2
    Ruby when Caronia, alright she's had her middle age 'Blue rinse', but that blue hull is really quite fetching,

Welcome Pete Cain

Started by TwynkleBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 8
Views: 2378
Last post Feb 12, 2009, 11:16 PM
by Pia
Pete Hamill : Hello!

Started by Pete HamillBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 22
Views: 4370
Last post Feb 10, 2016, 01:52 PM
by June Ingram
1972 - The Big Storm & The Bomb Scare by Pete Dennett

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard 1969 and the 1970s

Replies: 27
Views: 12012
Last post Aug 13, 2021, 09:53 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Pete Dally : Hi I am new...

Started by Pete DallyBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 2
Views: 1260
Last post Mar 05, 2018, 12:46 AM
by June Ingram
Pete Cain's final cruise on Saga Ruby (August / September 2013)

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Saga Ruby

Replies: 111
Views: 44376
Last post Aug 09, 2017, 11:31 PM
by Andy Holloway