Author Topic: John Duffy  (Read 27818 times)

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

John Duffy
« on: Feb 08, 2009, 01:09 PM »
John Duffy has received the Seatrade Insider Award for “Seagoing Employee of the Year”.

We never knew him well, but he was (and no doubt is!) friendly and cheerful. We met him almost every day on our most recent voyage, when he passed the Computer Learning Centre in the evenings... we used to sit there, enjoying ourselves with our computers and benefiting from the wifi facilities!

http://seatravel.wordpress.com/2009/02/04/cunards-john-duffy-receives-seatrade-insider-award-for-seagoing-employee-of-the-year/

Offline hollihedge

Re: John Duffy
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2009, 01:11 PM »
Thanks for posting Isabelle - very interesting, and glad he has gained deserved recognition
Gill

Offline Chris

« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2009, 12:41 AM »
we used to sit there, enjoying ourselves with our computers and benefiting from the wifi facilities!

I preferred sitting in the Yacht Club with a drink when using WiFi :)
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2009, 06:07 PM »

Me too!  Had a great signal while sitting at the starboard side in one of those lovely big windows looking out at the sea - never, ever had a happier surfing experience!!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2009, 02:26 PM »
Here's a rather longer article about John Duffy, which I enjoyed :

http://wearecunard.com/2009/03/john-duffy-receives-the-seagoing-employee-of-the-year-2008/

I really like the replies he gives to the interviewer. Here is one :

You have had an incredible career at sea. What do you think kept you at sea all these years?

Having attained the position of Hotel Manager QE2, in l98l, which of course was the most prestigious liner in the world, where else would I go to better myself?  I was of course, over the years, offered innumerable prestigious positions elsewhere, but my loyalties remained with QE2 and Cunard Line.

Now a man who thinks like that, must be all right!

Offline Chris

« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2009, 01:21 AM »

Me too!  Had a great signal while sitting at the starboard side in one of those lovely big windows looking out at the sea - never, ever had a happier surfing experience!!

My sentiments exactly ... it was wonderful to sit there and watch the Ocean go by while writing to friends from the Magnificent QE2!
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2009, 06:30 PM »
I had the great pleasure to be at his table in 1988 and again 19 years later in 2007.
It was l must admit a pleasure to be on such a table and to compare tales of that voyage
Now if only he could be persuaded to put his diary to print...   
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Andy F

« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2009, 09:58 PM »
Agree Myles and whenever you think of QE2, John invariably comes to mind as one of the great characters.  It would certainly be interesting to read his stories and I bet he has a fair few to tell but IF he should ever be persuaded to go into print, it would no doubt have to wait until retirement.
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

KEV

« Reply #8 on: Apr 23, 2009, 09:42 PM »
Sounds like a Top Guy

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #9 on: Apr 23, 2009, 10:38 PM »

I found it depended on where your cabin was. When we were amidships on Deck One the Pavilion was great, forward on Deck Two put us close to the Computer Centre (we were so close you could sometimes pick up the WIFI signal in the cabin) and when we were towards the stern of Deck Three we used the Yacht Club.

Offline Glengavin

« Reply #10 on: Apr 24, 2009, 12:35 AM »
Sounds like a Top Guy
Yes, he is a top guy, a real gentleman.  Always had time for a cheery word of welcome. John was onboard when we made our first voyage in '94 and he was last crew member we saw on the pier after disembarking in Dubai.  He must have had all sorts of emotions running through him but he still came over, shook my hand and gave my wife a hug.   Sort of seemed right that he should be the last.
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2009, 02:13 AM by Andy F »

« Reply #11 on: Aug 13, 2009, 06:50 PM »
Great interview with John Duffy here :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/7723300.stm

"Well, you can't get better than the best, and when you're hotel manager of the QE2, there's nowhere else to go that compares..."

He must have spent more years on board QE2 than most... lucky man...

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #12 on: Aug 13, 2009, 07:24 PM »
Isabelle,

Thank You for posting this.  He IS one of the best!  His knowledge and experience of his work couldn't ever be matched.

Rosie
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2009, 07:47 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #13 on: Sep 12, 2009, 10:09 AM »

He was a very good man to talk with, i used to love doing the Cocktails Parties in his Quarters.

Louis

Offline Kindlychap

« Reply #14 on: Sep 28, 2009, 06:34 AM »

I found it depended on where your cabin was. When we were amidships on Deck One the Pavilion was great, forward on Deck Two put us close to the Computer Centre (we were so close you could sometimes pick up the WIFI signal in the cabin) and when we were towards the stern of Deck Three we used the Yacht Club.

And in 8183 there was a superb signal - I think wifi had been installed for the cabin above - or was it the four stripe officer forward?

Matthew
RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - Sic Transit Gloria Mundi