Author Topic: John Duffy  (Read 26307 times)

Online Andy Holloway

Re: John Duffy
« Reply #60 on: Jul 11, 2017, 04:06 PM »
After suggesting it, Queen Elizabeth will sound her whistle for 47 seconds at 2155 hours tonight - just before she leaves Liverpool. 47 seconds for 47 years of Cunard service by a true Cunarder.

Well organised Michael, i hope they pay a tribute to John in tomorrow's daily programme on QE as well.

Andy

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #61 on: Jul 11, 2017, 04:09 PM »
After suggesting it, Queen Elizabeth will sound her whistle for 47 seconds at 2155 hours tonight - just before she leaves Liverpool. 47 seconds for 47 years of Cunard service by a true Cunarder.

A tribute that signifies John's career with Cunard, which is so appropriate.  Thanks for suggesting this Michael, your experience in these matters is second to none. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #62 on: Jul 11, 2017, 04:26 PM »
Well organised Michael, i hope they pay a tribute to John in tomorrow's daily programme on QE as well.   

Wouldnt it be just so nice if QE2 gave a quiet toot at the same time...

Maybe its me, but the Cunard facebook page seems to be lacking in any notice of this sad event..
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #63 on: Jul 11, 2017, 04:31 PM »
Just out of interest Michael, who is Captain of QE at present, Inger or Asheem?

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #64 on: Jul 11, 2017, 04:32 PM »
I agree Myles. The social media team was alerted to this over four hours ago!

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #65 on: Jul 11, 2017, 04:33 PM »
Inger.

Aseem rejoins this Friday.

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #66 on: Jul 11, 2017, 04:44 PM »
Inger.

Aseem rejoins this Friday.

Thank you Michael.

If you see them please pass on my regards, two 'Cracking people'.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #67 on: Jul 11, 2017, 05:51 PM »
I agree Myles. The social media team was alerted to this over four hours ago!

As an ex very disgruntled passenger of QE2. l do wish they would get with it, buck up their ideas .I have just now made my own personal views known to them via their message format on Facebook.

If some of you find this perhaps a step to far, then that is entirely your own view. l make no apologies . Today Cunard lost someone very special and the very least the dum ****s can do is acknowledge it .

It saddens not only myself but a great many other QE2  die hard fans that as yet there is still no mention of the passing of one of Cunards greatest and long serving officers Mr John Duffy who passed away early this morning. I can only guess that todays facebook officer has no idea who Mr Duffy was . He was one of Cunards longest serving four strip officer in the history of Cunard . He served as a much loved and widely respected Hotel Manager onboard for what is still regarded as The flagship Queen Elizabeth 2 .   There is still perhaps some time to save some face, if Cunard is interested and make it public information on here of your small but fitting tribute  tonight at 2155. It might be fitting to fly the flags at half mast and post a photo again as a tribute to one of Cunard QE2s finest officers. Tomorrow lm afraid is to late.     
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #68 on: Jul 11, 2017, 06:23 PM »
I never met John, but I've heard lots about him.

I visited his office when I was on QE2 in Dubai, and somehow it felt wrong me being there without him (the office was untouched).

He visited QE2 a year after me, and I presume is the last Cunard officer to have been aboard QE2 - https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,4279.0.html

I attach a rights-free Getty Images image of his wife and a photo of him.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #69 on: Jul 11, 2017, 06:50 PM »
It is very sad news indeed to hear of John Duffy's passing.  Sincere sympathy to his family and thoughts to all those whose lives he touched.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #70 on: Jul 11, 2017, 07:07 PM »
So very sad to hear of John Duffy's passing. A true gentleman and the kindest person I think I have ever encountered.

I was on board when John took over from John Sawyer, another legendary hotel manager. It was always easy to deal with John and he would always go the extra mile to sort anything out.

Condolences to John's family and friends.
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #71 on: Jul 11, 2017, 07:09 PM »
Posted in We are Cunard 2012
http://wearecunard.com/2012/05/thank-you-john-duffy/

Hopefully, if it's appropriate, sometime in the future there could be a Thanksgiving Service in Liverpool for Mr Duffy.
As he used to say of QE2, he too was Simply the Best.

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
« Reply #72 on: Jul 11, 2017, 09:08 PM »
Txt from John Duffy Jnr:

As the Queen Elizabeth leaves Liverpool tonight her horn will be sounded 47 times in honour of the 47 years my father worked for Cunard. Flags on Cunard ships will be at half mast tomorrow my friends xx

Offline GJ

« Reply #73 on: Jul 11, 2017, 10:10 PM »
   Iam currently out of liverpool if there was one night id like to be stood on the pier head it would be tonite    RIP JOHN ,   WHITE STAR SERVICE  was your by word   I got to know what it meant , your stories captivated and amused me  it was an honor to have known you  Graham / lynda 

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #74 on: Jul 12, 2017, 05:04 AM »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.