Author Topic: Seafarers abandoned / not able to return home  (Read 934 times)

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Seafarers abandoned / not able to return home
« on: Mar 15, 2022, 09:35 AM »
As was / is the case during the Covid-19 pandemic, so also now with the Ukraine crisis.

Ukrainian seafarers are finding themselves being abandoned here and there and unable to go back to their country. Other ships are stuck in the Black Sea. Cruise passengers too have found themselves unable to return and looked for asylum in random countries.

I feel very sorry for the seafarers in particular, often so far from home.

When I was on Black Prince in 2009, I seem to remember that most of the technical crew were Ukrainians -- I may be wrong there.

The Mission to Seafarers in many parts of the world must be very busy trying to provide help.

Re: Seafarers abandoned / not able to return home
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2022, 11:19 AM »
Slightly related (and perhaps worth a separate topic) is the matter of the oligarchs' superyachts being impounded or otherwise affected by sanctions against Russia.

Reports appear briefly here and there, but I have not yet read more in-depth reporting on the matter. Again, the crews are among the first to be personally affected and in some cases abandoned.

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2022, 05:39 AM »
So, here is the superyacht Scheherazade, in the Italian shipyard of Marina di Carrara, suspected to be owned by Vladimir Putin.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/22/people-clean-it-all-the-time-the-mystery-700m-super-yacht-in-italy-that-some-say-belongs-to-putin

Over the next few months or perhaps even years, we may get to know a lot more about superyachts owned by Russian oligarchs.

« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2022, 08:33 AM »
Very good 18-minute report with interviews yesterday on the BBC's Business Daily, about Ukrainian and Russian seafarers affected by the war in Ukraine :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3ct3160

What is it that attracts 'Seafarers' and Passengers to particular ships?

Started by TwynkleBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 2
Views: 1145
Last post Dec 23, 2009, 06:19 PM
by rough crossing
Women seafarers

Started by Jo StanleyBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 7
Views: 3261
Last post Oct 13, 2019, 09:23 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski