Author Topic: PS Waverley - Season 2020 is go!!  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Clydebuilt1971

PS Waverley - Season 2020 is go!!
« on: Aug 19, 2020, 03:26 PM »
Hi Folks,

Waverley returned to Glasgow from Greenock last Friday afternoon (14th August) having successfully completed her sea trials.

Her very much shortened sailing season timetable has been announced as per attached PDF.

She is sailing on the Clyde from 21st August until 6th September.

The cruises are very much changed from the usual Clyde timetable so hopefully the short season will realise a high demand (and also the reduced passenger capacity due to COVID) and get some money in the bank to help see them through the winter into 2021.

Congratulations to all on getting The World's Last Seagoing Paddlesteamer back into service!

Gav
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2020, 10:49 AM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Season 2020 is go!!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2020, 08:26 PM »
Unable to access the Waverley website - error message that the site has reached bandwidth limit.  Will try again tomorrow. 

I hope they have a successful seasons to recoup some of the losses
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2020, 08:50 PM »
Waverley website was working today and I have booked a wee cruise "doon" the Clyde next week.  I will report back on the experience.  I feel that as there is plenty of deck space and there will be. limit on the number of passengers, it should be possible to social distance. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2020, 10:46 AM »
Unable to access the Waverley website - error message that the site has reached bandwidth limit.  Will try again tomorrow. 

With respect to their website, my feeling is they need a bit more expert help here.... there's not really any excuse for running out of bandwidth on your website nowadays.   They also need to be very adept at contacting ticket-holders when the trip has to be cancelled (as it did yesterday).  They pretty much need a button they can push, which emails & texts everyone to tell them the info as soon as they have it.  I implemented something similar at my work recently.

Also I recently discovered that their email was misconfigured when I realised all the Waverley newsletters were going into my gmail spam filter.... there's some clever stuff you can do with your email configuration to guarantee emails get to where they're meant to (and I've done this for our QE2 story emails).  However, stupid people must actually be clicking the "spam" button on their Waverley emails, instead of unsubscribe... the very opposite of supporting their cause.

And I noticed on their Facebook page, some outraged people at the cost.  Various people were trying to reason with them, but I think it comes down to people in the West of Scotland totally taking her for granted...
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2020, 10:48 AM »
Waverley website was working today and I have booked a wee cruise "doon" the Clyde next week.  I will report back on the experience.  I feel that as there is plenty of deck space and there will be. limit on the number of passengers, it should be possible to social distance.

I'm sure you'll have a lovely time, and I look forward to hearing about it - photos please!

It doesn't fit my risk profile for this year, however I hope things will be OK next year.  In the meantime I am going to make a further donation to help them.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2020, 09:37 PM »

Looking forward to seeing how you found your trip, Lynda. Hope it goes well :)
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2020, 09:26 AM »
I'm sure you'll have a lovely time, and I look forward to hearing about it - photos please!

It doesn't fit my risk profile for this year, however I hope things will be OK next year.  In the meantime I am going to make a further donation to help them.

We are off to Orkney for a break the week after her season finishes so I wont be on board this year - after this weekend we are going to limit our exposure to public places as the last thing we would want to do is take this virus to Orkney (they have had some small outbreaks but nothing major to date).
Hoping that by the time Season 2021 comes along the restrictions will have been eased or indeed lifted but who knows.

Gav

Online cunardqueen

Re: PS Waverley - Season 2020 is go!!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 25, 2020, 02:01 AM »
We are off to Orkney for a break the week after her season finishes so I wont be on board this year   

I do hope you enjoy it,I spent the first 25 years of my life there. I hope your crossing on the most enviromental ferry there is, Privately funded, if he was ever able to get the subsidy to run the ferry he always said he would run it and not charge the passengers anything.

As a matter of interest have a look at the other company with the big white ships and compare the fares . 
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #8 on: Aug 25, 2020, 12:56 PM »

I do hope you enjoy it,I spent the first 25 years of my life there. I hope your crossing on the most enviromental ferry there is, Privately funded, if he was ever able to get the subsidy to run the ferry he always said he would run it and not charge the passengers anything.

As a matter of interest have a look at the other company with the big white ships and compare the fares .

Hi Myles - we always use Pentland Ferries. Looking forward to doing the sailing on their new vessel mv Alfred. We always try to support local businesses where possible.

We love Orkney and would move there in a heartbeat if circumstances permitted!!

Mr Banks bought former Clyde ferry mv Saturn from CMAL in 2015 with the intention of running her on wind farm projects however the Govt grants for that type of project was cut not long after he bought her so she is laid up at St Margaret's Hope awaiting a buyer which I dont think will come sadly.

I am at a loss why Pentland dont get the RET subsidy.

Gav
« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2020, 12:58 PM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #9 on: Sep 02, 2020, 08:58 AM »
Waverley only has a matter of days to go until her 2020 Micro Season is over.

As far as I am aware the numbers have been OK but (obviously) restricted due to distancing.

Dunoon on the Cowal Peninsula is a regular calling point for the paddler during a normal Clyde season however the way the timetabling has been scheduled this year she has called only once - yesterday (01.09.2020)

John Huggins was out with his trusty drone to capture the moment and his shots are posted below.

Her last sailing of 2020 is Sunday 6th September after which she will return to Glasgow and (I presume) commence layup procedure for the oncoming winter.

As of last Friday Shelagh and I have taken the decision to enter a kind of lockdown (no essential travel or visits to bars etc) as we dont want the risk of receiving a Track & Trace call requiring us to self isolate as this would prevent us going to Orkney - it is also a precaution as we would not want to be the ones who take it to that place we love so much!

So we wont board Waverley this year - heres to 2021!

Gav

« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2020, 09:01 AM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #10 on: Sep 03, 2020, 09:38 AM »
The season has been extended; they've added five more days of sailing.  ;D

8th to 12th September.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #11 on: Sep 03, 2020, 07:10 PM »
She's had an accident.

I don't believe it.

BBC News - Emergency response after Waverley steamer hits pier
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-54011504

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 03, 2020, 07:47 PM »
 :(

2020 rears it's ugly head again.

I hope nobody was seriously injured but judging by the article and her usual practice of docking at some speed for steerage (I think - Gav correct me if I'm wrong) I'm not so sure.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #13 on: Sep 03, 2020, 09:28 PM »
This doesn't look good - So very sorry for Everyone.
Hoping that the damage to the shocked people isn't serious - and the same for Waverley...
Memories of Dunoon 2009 - and the injured Ladies WC
https://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/waverley-paddle-steamer-crashes-harbour-causing-multiple-injuries-2961086

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #14 on: Sep 03, 2020, 10:33 PM »
Good Lord!  That's not good.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Waverley in England

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard PS Waverley

Replies: 1
Views: 1296
Last post Sep 06, 2017, 09:07 AM
by Michael Gallagher
PS Waverley - Taken out of service requiring new boilers (May 2019)

Replies: 39
Views: 5668
Last post Dec 24, 2019, 02:06 PM
by tramscape
Little and large (Waverley with QM2 and QE2)

Started by WaverleyBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 9
Views: 3527
Last post Oct 24, 2009, 10:13 AM
by luzparis
Who owns the Waverley - and key people involved

Replies: 9
Views: 1993
Last post Jul 06, 2019, 03:17 PM
by tramscape
Links to other Waverley Websites