Author Topic: C-SIX by Nigel Roberts, 1988 (10 Years as Doctor on the QE2) ISBN 0-283-99672-2  (Read 28709 times)

Offline hollihedge

Just been looking at my books and came across C-SIX by Nigel Roberts (ex ship's doctor on QE2).  Not sure if still in print/available on e-bay etc, but it is an excellent and at times most poignant read of tales of the passengers and his endeavours on crossings and the World Cruise.  I highly recommend it.
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2017, 11:02 AM by Rob Lightbody »
Gill

Offline QE2_MATTHEW

Re: Books about the QE2
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2009, 04:17 PM »
Ive got it, and WELL worth a read. Can really reccomend it.
Im free...

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2009, 10:06 PM »
I have this too, its great!

I lent it to a friend, who's a nurse, and she thinks rather a lot of juicy stuff was left out!!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2009, 10:28 PM »
Can you believe the book is about 20 year old !!
 They also printed a special cover for the Yokohamma charter
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2009, 04:16 PM »
Is the title a play on passengers' conditions heading to ship's medical as well as the stairway and deck medical was on:

Sea Sick(s) and C Stairway, 6-Deck  (C-Six)? 

Never heard of this book but will definitely look for it.

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 09:03 AM »
...what's c six?

C-Six: Ten Years as the Doctor of the QE2. It's a book by Nigel Roberts abut his time as Principal Medical Officer.

My copy has both the English and Japanese dust jackets (the book is in English). They don't translate the title C-Six - it wouldn't make much sense! :D

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 01:24 PM »
Dr Nigel Roberts has  a great quote in his book in response to a question about his life at sea, the answer was ment to be tongue in cheek but was perhaps a bit to candid Working on QE2 during her transatlantic crossings is the only situation where l can be sure that both the bed sheets and women will be changed every 5 days..he goes onto mention whether this impression is valid l'll leave unanswered, but the opportunity is certainly there

He kindly took my book away and autographed it , not to sure how much he know of my antics onboard, but at his Cocktail partiy he returned the book to me with a large smile.   

Im just thankfull that l never had to hand over any "tip" to get some of the crew in my bed,(my god what if they returned it and said No thanks!!) but there is something heart stoppingly exciting when you get the tap tap on the door at some ungodly hour and you know that all the charm and wit has paid off my powers of seduction have worked..... , well thats my story and lm sticking to it
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 02:08 PM »
He kindly took my book away and autographed it

My copy is autographed as well :( Because I bought it on eBay a few years ago I don't know when it was signed though :(

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: "C-SIX" by Nigel Roberts, 1988. ISBN 0-283-99672-2
« Reply #8 on: Sep 23, 2009, 04:04 PM »
E-mail received from Amazon this afternoon :

Greetings from Amazon.co.uk,

As someone who has purchased or rated "C-Six: Ten Years as the "Queen Elizabeth II" Doctor" by Nigel Roberts or other books in the British Heads of State > Elizabeth II category, you might like to know that "The Kings and Queens of England: A Royal History from Egbert to Elizabeth II" will be released on 30 September 2009. You can pre-order yours for just £6.99 (30% off the RRP) by following the link below.

The Kings and Queens of England: A Royal History from Egbert to Elizabeth II

Nigel Cawthorne

Their robots are right impressively often -- but not on this occasion  ;)  .

Offline Twynkle

Re: "C-SIX" by Nigel Roberts, 1988. ISBN 0-283-99672-2
« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2010, 08:54 AM »
C-Six - Ten years as the Doctor of the Qe2
by Nigel Roberts
For sale in Oxfam - £24.00
http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/second-hand-books/536731

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
QE2's Amazing Medical Man - Nigel Roberts
« Reply #10 on: Apr 24, 2013, 07:48 PM »
Here is a feature about Nigel Roberts from Cruise Travel magazine, March/April 1982

QE2's Amazing Medical Man

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=fjADAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA31&dq=qe2&pg=PA31#v=onepage&q=qe2&f=false
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.