Author Topic: QE2 Final voyage  (Read 36600 times)

Offline singlemalt

QE2 Final voyage
« on: Feb 01, 2009, 01:56 PM »
Anyone?
Not me - but did manage to experience it vicariously through Jet Set Betty (mother dearest) and a highly embarrassing online diary of events she and her friend emailed to a local newspaper  :-[

I do know there's at least one person who was onboard (and had the dubious honour of meeting JSB) but sure there are more hidden out there in the creaky old teak woodwork.

Or else your own QE2 final voyage?

Do you care to share? I think we'd all like to hear about it :'(
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2018, 10:06 AM by Rob Lightbody »
Wearer of swishy skirts and fab heels; otherwise known as the Cruise Director

Offline Twynkle

Re: Final voyage?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2009, 03:10 PM »
Singlemalt - Did you actually want or even hope to go?
It could have been absolutely unbearably sad - and we might have had to just keep going for the Crew?
Think of the Final Baked Alaska...not to mention leaving the gangway and flying away...Need a hankie - again!!!

Sometime may we talk about our Final trip (Fire and Ice?)  Were you in the Mauritania - anywhere near the brilliant noisy table?
(Got an embarassing story for the other 'channel' - more later!

Offline singlemalt

« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2009, 04:23 PM »
Twynkle - would have loved to but no chance of time off from work. School holidays may be plentiful but they're not always when you want them  :(

i think I was really in two minds. Up until Nov 11th I was fully convinced I'd said my goodbyes and left her to go on for her few remaining voyages and it would all be too traumatic.
But then watching internet coverage of Southampton departure; I completely changed my mind. There seemed to be such an outpouring of love and affection for her that I REALLY wanted to be onboard.

Betty was of a similar opinion as she'd booked almost on a whim. She was onboard when it was announced that QE2 was being sold (somewher in Norway I think?) and wanted to try and book on the final voyage. She'd tried with her agent to get a booking but missed out in the rush / busy phone lines on the day when the original voyages went on sale. She was told (from Cunard via travel agent) she was on the waiting list but that it was highly unlikely she would be able to secure a place. She'd given up hope of getting on the voyage but got really lucky - she cruises lots and the regular agent gave her a call when a cancellation from another client came up; sometime in June; to take it before it was released back to Cunard. So a chance for first refusal but only 10 minutes to decide! I think it took her about 10 seconds..)
She did have lots of second thoughts after booking and came close to cancellling after our trip in the summer but ultimately, is very glad she went.

I'm very jealous  :'(

« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2009, 08:00 PM by singlemalt »

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2009, 07:39 PM »
I must admit l always said l wanted to be on QE2s final voyage, but as it happened l was booked on the two cruises that Cunard changed ,down the the Canaries and a med trip when the news broke, and they swopped me over on a  voyage per voyage basis with the news l had to fly home from NY. it took a few days but eventually got it sorted that l had early booking status for the final eastbound. l had suggested about trying for the Dubai voyage, but that would have required the cancellation of the uk and both crossings and there was no sure way l would get on the Dubai voyage. In view of the change of voyage Cunard did give me $300 for each of the two voyages, l actually ended up with an extra $300 for some reason, but l fear this was to do with the mix up which resulted in me packing up my cabin October 10th at 2am, not the most ideal time, and the Pursers office saying l had no choice even though it was their fault, but that is another story

My agent told me he had about 170 passengers requesting the voyage and only expected to get about 20-30 booked, turns out he  got everyone booked, the waitlist on all the farewell trips l gather was a joke, several months into the season it turns out like most l assumed that if you were waitlisted you woud take your place on the list and await the call from Cunard, a number of passengers semed to bypass this method with the help of a good agent and when a cabin showed as free they would jump in and book it,( fair or not??)
 As for doing the Dubai trip, the flight home put me off with the limited luggage, and knowing what l buy the excess would have been crazy,there was no sure way l could have a cabin and the expense, but in reality l couldnt have handled it emotionally and  when you start to think of the last this and that it does get a bit to much, also the looting from onboard. and could anybody really imagine walking down the gangway on the last cruise, A few friends were onboard and gave very mixed reports.

Im pleased that l was on for the round uk that was to be was a superb voyage, the ports Cobh,Liverpool,Greenock Newcastle gave QE2 a stunning welcome and farewell, Belfast lm afraid to say was a joke, to see us off only the 4 police who very kindly flashed their lights, was pathetic. South Queensferry, well why Cunard insist on using that place again what a joke, there is nothing there, combined with a train strike and the weather, perhaps they might do well for QM2, personally had they gone to Invergordon they would have been assured of an outstanding welcome and farewell

The farewell crossings were good, But not as good as l had expected, and NY didnt quite qive the send off that was expected
As it was l did venture down on the 11th, pleased that l did but it was to awfully sad :'(
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline singlemalt

« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2009, 07:54 PM »
Myles - edited original a bit because it wasn't clear about cancellations and waitlists ^^

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2009, 09:04 PM »
totally painless and l never felt a thing.. thankyou

Offline Andy F

« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2009, 02:05 AM »
I'm delighted for those who made that final journey and the memories they have will remain with them a lifetime but while there was never any doubt that I would be there to watch her depart these shores for the final time, it was never my desire to be among them. When I was last aboard in September 2008, it was hard to accept that just 2 months later she would be no more. It was difficult leaving her then but at least I did so in the knowledge that she would continue a while longer. To make that final journey and have to walk away from her in Dubai would have been unbearably sad.  Like many, my memories are of the happy times spent aboard.  Being in Southampton was important as it was my final opportunity to say Goodbye to a ship that has been part of my life for many more years than I care remember but to leave her in the knowledge that she would not be returning would be jjst too painful to imagine.

I do hope though that JSB and others had a great time and would certainly welcome hearing any personal accounts from those who were there.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2009, 02:15 PM »

Here here! Andy and Cunard Queen

I still wonder how the Crew managed too.  Whern we were onboard ( July - August) few of them were certain about their future plans - and it seemed inappropriate to ask.

Having not had access to  everyday 'news' about the Final voyage, I do wonder about the experiences of those who went - whether their first  voyage, or their Final one after many earlier ones.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2009, 03:10 PM »
On the train on the way down on the 11th l spoke to a german couple who had wanted to book the return trip, and couldnt understand why it was one way, l really thought they wre joking, But alas they were not...

Offline hollihedge

« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2009, 10:56 AM »
Thanks Ali - so sad :'(
Gill

Offline Chris

« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2009, 01:19 PM »
Mr B was aboard for the last voyage. His story is amazing - I'll let him tell it next time he logs in - it will also feature in our next QE2 book - it is very moving.
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2009, 01:23 PM by Chris »
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2009, 08:34 PM »

Mr B was aboard for the last voyage.

Mr B is One of QE2's most famous passenger's ever for he was the LAST ONE!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Andy F

« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2009, 09:08 PM »
Ah Ross, so it was you I've been reading about all this time!  Delighted for you and that you finally managed to make it aboard.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Mr B

« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2009, 11:02 PM »
Ah, I better come clean then...yes I boarded her at Valletta, Malta, on 16th November for the first time in my life.
..me cover is blown now...      ::) :D

Offline singlemalt

« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2009, 11:09 PM »
Now you've been outed....

Ears are ready and willing should you be happy to contribute. ???
We have a QE2 celebrity in our midst - hopefully without the Jimmy Saville trademark tracksuit or Carol Thatcher inappropriate comments?   :-\