Author Topic: Lusitania Anniversary events 2009 - 2015  (Read 3561 times)

KEV

« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2015, 10:11 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Lusitania Anniversary events 2009 --
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2009, 12:52 PM »
Thank you for the link, Kev.

An Irish Flickr contact of mine, Margaret Keogh, has just been to the ceremony and has posted her photos here :

https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=lusitania&w=36095498%40N02

One of these days, I shall get to Cobh too and shall visit those graves...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 11:01 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Twynkle

Re: Lusitania Anniversary events 2009 --
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 03:28 PM »
Thank you, Isabelle
There is still 'water to go under the bridge' regarding theories, possibilities and facts regarding the cause / reasons for her sinking...

Queen Victoria is sailing to Cobh next year as Cunard commemorate the 100 years of the loss of life as well as the ship.
Personally, I believe this could be one of the most poignant of all Cunard's events - she was a beautiful ship, one full of promise; it was her sinking that caused significant change in the political thinking on both sides of the Atlantic at that time.
http://www.cunard.co.uk/campaigns/anniversary-cruises/175-celebration/lusitania/

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 05:36 PM »
There is also an annual ceremony in Cobh on 7 May, about which we have written towards the top of this thread.

Cobh seems to be the trustee of the Lusitania heritage much like Halifax looks after that of Titanic. I am ashamed to say that I have been to Halifax (on board QE2), but not yet to Cobh in my own country...

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 06:28 PM »
Next time Isabelle -  when and if you have time...
http://www.heritagetowns.com/cobhlarge1.shtml
Cobh harbour is a lovely small town....maybe you could hitch a lift on QV on her next roundabout UK and Ireland!   
(I'm being serious here, 'don't you know' ( :) ) - QV on the inside is the nearest possible ship to having the lovely warm, friendly  feeling that QE2 gave us - promise!  Otherwise, it's tempting to offer to drive you down, however sailing in to Cobh would be so much better!)
Rosie

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2015, 10:27 AM »
Visit Cobh have posted details of some of this year's events to commemorate the sinking of the Lusitania
http://visitcobh.com/index.php/2014/11/17/cobh-to-mark-lusitania-sinking/
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
100 YEARS ON, NEW MEMORIALS UNVEILED AT THE OLD CHURCH IN COBH, IRELAND, GIVE RECOGNITION FOR THOSE OF LUSITANIA’S DEAD WHO LIE BURIED THERE IN MASS GRAVES

100 YEARS ON, NEW MEMORIAL WALLS UNVEILED AT THE OLD CHURCH CEMETERY IN COBH, IRELAND, GIVE RECOGNITION BY NAME FOR THOSE OF LUSITANIA’S DEAD WHO LIE BURIED THERE IN MASS GRAVES

Four glass memorial walls were unveiled today in the churchyard above the town of Cobh, Ireland, where many of those who lost their lives in the Lusitania disaster exactly 100 years ago lie buried in mass graves.

The ceremony to name all of Lusitania's victims buried at the site, including those lying unrecognised in the mass graves, took place as Cunard’s Queen Victoria called at Cobh today to mark the sinking of the line’s flagship Lusitania in a tragedy that changed the rules of engagement at sea. The ceremony took place prior to a larger service of remembrance on the seafront of Cobh.

At the Old Church Cemetery, wreaths were laid John Mullins, Chairman of the Port of Cork; David Dingle, Chairman of Cunard; and Councillor Alan Coleman, Mayor of County Cork. Commodore of the Cunard fleet and master of Cunard's Queen Victoria, Christopher Rynd, welcomed the addition of the memorial walls .

Of the nearly 1,200 people who lost their lives on 7 May 1915, 289 bodies were recovered and 170 are buried in Cobh’s Churchyard.

David Dingle:

“100 years on since so many people lost their lives when Lusitania was sunk, it is fitting that the souls buried here without recognition are now named on this memorial wall and their sacrifice is remembered.”
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Irish President Michael D Higgins arrived in the port of Cobh today with a full naval service guard of honour to lead a service to mark the loss of the Lusitania exactly 100 years ago.

British Ambassador Dominick Chilcott, US Ambassador Kevin O’Malley and German embassy Charge d’Affaires Wolfram von Heynitz also attended the service

Blasts on Queen Victoria’s ship’s whistle marked the time exactly 100 year before when Lusitania was hit (2.10pm) and when the ship sank just 18 minutes later (2.28pm).

Music interspersed readings given by John Mullins, Chairman of the Port of Cork, and David Dingle, Chairman of Cunard.

A moving survivors account of the disaster was read by Commodore of the Cunard Fleet Christopher Rynd, before wreaths were laid at the poignant Lusitania Peace Monument in the town square.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 05:24 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
A most fitting recognition.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Chris

Lusitania Anniversary events 2009 - 2015
« Reply #9 on: Jul 24, 2015, 01:58 PM »
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2015, 02:11 PM by Chris »
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Lusitania

Started by Dr. Edmund CarusBoard Ships

Replies: 32
Views: 18688
Last post May 09, 2021, 07:51 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Rebuilding the Lusitania

Started by jamesatmaisonverreBoard Ships

Replies: 6
Views: 5050
Last post Jun 22, 2012, 09:28 AM
by jamesatmaisonverre
New book by our friend Bruce Peter- Lusitania to QE2–The Great Clyde-Built Ships

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Books, Videos and DVDs about QE2

Replies: 0
Views: 426
Last post Feb 13, 2023, 08:39 PM
by Rob Lightbody
Lusitania remembered -- Cunard pays tribute during commemorative cruise aboard QV

Started by Michael GallagherBoard The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA)

Replies: 8
Views: 3467
Last post May 26, 2015, 12:06 AM
by Chris
Lusitania Centenary Conference - 13.5.2015

Started by TwynkleBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 29
Views: 11968
Last post Jul 02, 2015, 05:35 PM
by June Ingram