Author Topic: QE2's last visit to the Clyde  (Read 7415 times)

Offline Alistair

QE2's last visit to the Clyde
« on: Oct 05, 2013, 12:45 PM »
Hard to believe it was 5 years ago I and thousands of others were heading to Greenock to wait expectantly for the arrival of something wonderful. I had travelled back from Dubai just for that moment and I was not disappointed as the weather, on that October day, was better than could have been wished for.
I wasn't a forum member back then so I wonder how many of you I walked passed! :)

My day consisted of a trip down in the morning to see QE2 arrive then another trip down at sunset with dinner, champagne (in the car!) and watch the firework display. With her horn sounding long and sad (to me) she sailed off into the night speeding down the river that conceived her to the open sea (wipe tear from eye)  :'(

This is my favourite picture of that day. My little camera performed some magic and focussed perfectly on a very large object being lit by the autumn sun!

« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2014, 10:12 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
Re: QE2's last visit to the Clyde
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2013, 01:51 PM »
Great picture Alistair and what bitter sweet memories. Oh to see her put to sea again :(
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2014, 10:12 AM by Lynda Bradford »
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Offline Alistair

« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2013, 11:38 AM »
Thanks Alan.
I've just realised my big oops. I couldn't have been a forum member back then as the forum didn't start until 2009! I of course meant future forum members  ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2014, 10:13 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2013, 11:09 PM »
It was in every way a most amazing day, for those of us onboard the welcome and departure and for those on shore the most amazing view as QE2 came into sight, My parents and sister had travelled down to be in Greenock that day and they called me when QE2 came into view and couldnt the believe the view and how majestic QE2 looked.
 They had sailed on QE2 on a party cruise the year before and were enthralled not only with the ship but all that went with it and they had been fortunate to meet during the 2 day cruise some characters of passengers who only added to fun, having their anniversary onboard the singing waiters and two close friends of mine, we were all on the same table it was a dream for me to have them onboard, Dad still speaks glowingly of his first Afternoon tea onboard after embarkation and how QE2 was a real ship, not like todays objects.
 For me to be able to have them onboard for the day in Greenock was simply the best gift ever (Thanks :-X) and they enjoyed each and every minute of their day, a chance to reunite in a Pavillion lunch, Afternoon tea, a cabin party and a very hurried Dinner, the waiting staff pulled out all the stops to ensure we had a very quick Dinner onboard. And when QE2 sailed that night lm sure l speak for a lot of QE2 diehards who were onboard,when l say a small part of us died that night when QE2 sailed away.
 The Round UK cruise did QE2 proud, with the exception of one port, and for whats its worth l still feel the round trip transatlantics were a bit of an anti climax.
Five years, where has the time gone.....     
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2013, 11:22 PM »
Two of the ladies in the photo l met onboard in 1988, fast forward to 2007 lm with my parents in the lido having breakfast and the ladies on the table next door keep looking over and there is a spark of recognition that we know each other, it was the same ladies from all those years ago, l couldnt believe it, they were simply amazed, but as we know thats how it is with QE2.
They had a small farewell cabin party on the Round UK voyage as were prepared to part company the next day. They still sail with Cunard, and in their postcards always add "Its not the same..." 

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2013, 02:42 PM »
After QE2 was retired, nothing is the same on the sea.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #6 on: Oct 02, 2014, 06:19 PM »
Sunday will mark our QE2's last visit to the Clyde.  Thoughts six years later ?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #7 on: Oct 02, 2014, 07:45 PM »
Sunday will mark our QE2's last visit to the Clyde.  Thoughts six years later ?

Probably, if I went back to speak to myself (standing shivering on board MV Balmoral alongside QE2) and told young-me that QE2 would still be intact in Dubai, but no development had taken place, I would probably have been happy but surprised...   back then we thought glass funnel... ship chopped up, we were sure she'd be unrecognisable.

Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #8 on: Oct 02, 2014, 08:07 PM »
Manually downloading Qe2 webcam shots at every possible opportunity during her visit (phoning the kids to do it on my behalf whislt shopping in Tesco) before  my son found a programme to do it automatically!!!!. However all those shots are mine as it were, because I put the time in. (did 99% of the round britain trip this way, dashing up at regular intervals to do a shot, my wife was beside herself), would offer the shots to rob but bet he has them all. Thanks for this post, I'd forgotten all this, & would so wish to be doing it now whilst she was still alive

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #9 on: Oct 02, 2014, 10:13 PM »
Thoughts six years later ?   

Plenty of thoughts, but the memories are enough..and the fact we were there.. :'(

Iv always said that Cork really set the tone for that voyage, and sailing into the harbour with the bells ringing and the fact we overnighted was and always will be special. Every port had its memories. South Queensferry was and always will be place that holds no emotion they couldnt do enough for QE2 for her final visit in Scottish waters, and simply didnt bother ! But you all know my thoughts on that anyway.

The top photo was taken my a reporter friend, who ironically took QE2 photos away back in 1989 for a photo feature in the Daily Record
and the bottom one taken by the same reporter for the Daily Mail for a story they ran..

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #10 on: Oct 02, 2014, 11:23 PM »
and the bottom one taken by the same reporter for the Daily Mail for a story they ran..

Well now, Myles -- what did they say in the story? Do you still have it (no doubt you have!)?

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #11 on: Oct 03, 2014, 02:56 PM »
Great photos, Myles !  Our QE2 looks so grand, as we know she is !   :)

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #12 on: Oct 03, 2019, 02:02 PM »
An amazing shot of QE2 preparing to depart Greenock Ocean Terminal for the final time in Oct 2008.

Taken by John Huggins with whom copyright resides.

Gav

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 03, 2019, 11:30 PM »
Wonderful long exposure shot! Always liked night photos of ships, particularly QE2 :)
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #14 on: Oct 04, 2019, 09:06 AM »
Fabulous photo showing QE2 shining bright against the darkness.

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

QE2s Captain Chair for sale...

Started by cunardqueenBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 1471
Last post Sep 24, 2016, 10:45 PM
by Pete Hamill
Were QE2s propellers the most powerful in the world?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Technical Matters

Replies: 8
Views: 2722
Last post Oct 13, 2018, 10:57 AM
by Rob Lightbody