Author Topic: QE2 arriving in Dubai  (Read 13263 times)

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

QE2 arriving in Dubai
« on: May 11, 2009, 06:51 PM »
I know it has been 6 months now QE2 has been retired but I found this newsreel of QE2 arriving in Dubai. She did recieve quite a welcome didn't she.

Quite a lot of British ships was there aswell.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 07:49 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Avariel

Re: QE2 arriving in Dubai
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 06:54 PM »
Thanks for the link.

That's one video I don't recall watching.

Though, I was watching from the bridgecam as she docked. Very heart-breaking.

mksmith

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 09:36 PM »
Watching the Utube video tears in my eyes build up even after 6 nonths and now knowing she
in a coma far, far away from home.

Offline Waverley

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 08:44 PM »
Nice photo

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/aircraft-pictures/2008/11/emirates-a380-welcomes-the-qe2.html

Click picture for larger image but you may need to change the zoom level.
Robert

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 08:47 PM »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 08:03 AM »

Thank You, Robert

It's a great photo - until clicking to enlarge,
then a massive aeroplane, sky and no sign of QE2!!

Hmm!

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 10:29 AM »

Thank You, Robert

It's a great photo - until clicking to enlarge,
then a massive aeroplane, sky and no sign of QE2!!

Hmm!

Lucky you :) If I click the image all I get is a bit of the sky in the top, left hand, corner :( There are no scroll bars and I've tried to scroll using the mouse and nothing happens. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Offline eyrebrush

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 04:14 PM »
Down in the extreme bottom right hand corner of the enlargement you can see a little box marking 100% - with a drop down menu. try reducing it.

Offline Waverley

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 05:25 PM »
Twinkle and mrkpnh. Did you manage to change to change the zoom level as instructed by eyrebrush?
Robert

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 05:44 PM »

Thank you, both Waverley and Eyrebrush!

Unfortunately there's nothing that I can do to see the Bigger Picture with QE2 in the frame -
and in some ways... 
it's not that I don't care - it's just that like many others I feel so, so sad when something really beautiful is there for us to see -
That was such a sad day for QE2 too.

I s'pose that no news could be good news - but it is now 6 months less 4 days since she was left there - and I wish she was here.

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 09:44 PM »
Twinkle and mrkpnh. Did you manage to change to change the zoom level as instructed by eyrebrush?

Yes :) and no :(

When I look at the image in my usual browser there is no zoom box at the bottom right hand corner. However if I use Internet Explorer the zoom box is there and, by using it, I can see the full picture. I prefer to use Chrome which I find far faster then IE except there are some sites that it does not work with. This appears to be one such site.

Offline Chris

« Reply #11 on: Jul 29, 2009, 05:19 AM »
Found this on You Tube - it states official Nakheel video - very nice collection of images of our grand ship:

« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2009, 05:24 AM by Chris »
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #12 on: Jul 29, 2009, 07:30 AM »
WOW!  Thanks Chris.  Beautiful shots, but hard to forget just how sad that day was.   :'(
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #13 on: Jul 29, 2009, 09:35 PM »
Oh My Goodness!  Well done Nakheel, thats rather good!! 
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Andy F

« Reply #14 on: Jul 30, 2009, 02:29 AM »
Great find Chris and thanks.  On the down side, the clip rushes through and would benefit from being slowed down to enable the viewer to savour the images but certainly impressive and good on Nakheel - one wonders what other material they might have?  
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2009, 12:04 AM by Andy F »
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #15 on: Jul 30, 2009, 08:01 AM »

Great find,Chris :)

Louis

Online Alex Tarry

« Reply #16 on: Jul 30, 2009, 04:52 PM »
Super Stuff, especially the bit form the A380 - shows a certain amount of pride and dare I say understanding and affection for their new acquistion I would say?

We have given these guys a bit of a bashing on here for good reason (mainly their poor communication) but looked at another way all they have done is buy our favourite ship, possibly saving it from Alang, looked after it in serviceable condition until now, ridden the recession as best they could and now coming up with a contingency plan which keeps their dream alive....

I am not saying all is perfect but things could be a whole lot worse with QE2 in my eyes....

Alex.

Offline Chris

« Reply #17 on: Jul 30, 2009, 04:54 PM »
Alex,

Agreed - Nakheel have saved QE2 from a fate which could have seen her end up like Canberra, or Norway.

It is exciting to think that after 40 years of service, QE2 still has a future, and by the sounds of it, a bright one at that.

Chris.
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2014, 02:57 PM »
This is perhaps not the correct thread on which to pose my question, but not sure where to ask it.  Do we have here a list of the deck officers on board QE2 when she arrived in Dubai ?  Thanks !  June
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline skilly56

« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2014, 11:14 PM »
Hi June,

My son Blair will compile the list. I'm flying out to Fremantle at 0400 tomorrow to join a seismic research ship, so will be a couple of days before I post it.

Skilly

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2014, 12:23 PM »
It will be good to see a copy of the list of deck officers onboard QE2 when she arrived in Dubai. 

You may also be interested in looking at The Crew Group photos topic, which  has a good photo of the crew on deck in September 2008 - see reply 36

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1958.0.html
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2014, 12:25 PM by Lynda Bradford »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2014, 02:11 PM »
Thanks, Skilly !  I shall look forward to seeing the list when you can post it.  Thanks, Lynda, for the link to the picture.  It is indeed a very clear and impressive photo.  June

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2014, 05:05 PM »
Hi June,

My son Blair will compile the list. I'm flying out to Fremantle at 0400 tomorrow to join a seismic research ship, so will be a couple of days before I post it.

Skilly

Hi Skilly - Where will your voyage be taking you ?  June

Offline skilly56

« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2014, 10:52 AM »
Hi June,

Joined in Fremantle, currently bunkering in Albany, South West Australia - sail tonight for an area south of Australia for 5 weeks of seismic research, towing 12 x 8km long acoustic streamers for mapping the strata under the seabed. It takes 18,000 bhp to tow this little lot at 5 knots, so we consume around 55-60 cu metres of fuel/day. 55 POB, of which 30 approx. are on the scientific side. First job will take 6 months in total, doing 5 weeks on/5 weeks off.
I've just had a message from Blair saying he has found the photo & crew list from the last voyage to Dubai in 2008. Hopefully he will send it to me this week.
Cheers
Skilly

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2014, 03:13 PM »
Hi Skilly - Thank you very much for your post and info about your seismic research voyage.  It sounds to be quite a job and all best wishes for it.  I would be interested in hearing more about it as you have time to post.  And glad to hear that Blair found the picture and has names from the last voyage to Dubai.  All the best !  June

Offline skilly56

« Reply #25 on: Jan 17, 2014, 08:57 AM »
OK, QE2 arrived in Dubai with the following navigating officers on board,

Master - Captain Ian McNaught - ashore
Staff Captain - Hamish Sunter - still on Queen Elizabeth as far as I know
Chief Officer - Alex Davies
1st Officer - Donal Keaney - last contact I had with Donal he was on superyachts
2nd Officer - Ashley Allen - I have seen Ash on this forum from time to time in the past, incognito.
2nd Officer - Catriona Dowling
3rd Officer - Zac Brockman - I last saw Zac on the Ocean Village in Barbados in 2010
3rd Officer - Catherine Wood
3rd Officer - Blair Skilton - I still see this fella from time to time!

The Chief Engineer on the last trip was John Hanvey.

I cannot post the photo - file size is too large for the satcom system.

Cheers
Skilly

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #26 on: Jan 21, 2014, 05:33 PM »
Hi Skilly - Thank you very much for obtaining and posting these officers for QE2's voyage to Dubai.  It is very valuable information to have here and I, as I am sure others do, appreciate very much you adding this to our continuing archive about QE2. 

Offline Bruce Nicholls

« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:27 AM »
I know it has been 6 months now QE2 has been retired but I found this newsreel of QE2 arriving in Dubai. She did recieve quite a welcome didn't she.

Quite a lot of British ships was there aswell.

Will she get a similar farewell?
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2014, 11:03 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #28 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:06 PM »
If only they would recognize her worth !.......

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #29 on: Oct 09, 2014, 02:46 PM »
Found this on You Tube - it states official Nakheel video - very nice collection of images of our grand ship:

I watched again this official Nakheel video of QE2's arrival in Dubai this morning.  It is spectacular !  If you have not seen it, please do, and if you have seen it before, please watch again.  After all these years, it pulls more than ever at the heart strings. 

It is evident our beloved QE2 was welcomed with open arms and much celebration.  How could things have changed so much that our girl is now held hostage and in isolation ?

June   :'(
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2014, 11:04 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline skilly56

« Reply #30 on: Oct 09, 2014, 05:03 PM »
Just watched that video (again). Thanks June.
Thinking of what has happened since, it is an absolute waste of probably the most sleek and elegant-looking large ship afloat.

The bloke in the bow in whites, and standing in the cat's whiskers after they connected to the tug is my youngest.
After they had the changing of owners & flags ceremony that night, that red 'Golden Lion' Cunard house flag that was up the fwd jack staff just somehow ended up hanging over his shoulders after he lowered it, to later end up in a bedroom in my home, where it will stay until he hangs it in his own home.
Ian McNaught also gave him the NZ flag that QE2 was flying when she last departed Auckland in Feb 2008, after all the other navigating officers had signed it. He now has a couple of very good momentos of his time aboard, plus he will end up with all the items my wife & I bought when aboard as well. And the attached photo that I blew up for his bedroom wall - I snapped it in Malta in July 2008.

I doubt any of the current crop of ships will ever grow a following and attraction that QE2 had over so many years.

Oddly enough, my lad flew through Dubai on his way to Denmark 3 days ago. I wonder if he was on the correct side of the aircraft to get a good view.

In the offshore industry, being delayed, or swinging on the anchor for 2-3 weeks, while waiting for something to happen is becoming the norm.
The way QE2 operated was exactly the opposite - she waited for no one (normally).
I was on the QE back in 2011 and even she didn't wait (left Jeffrey Archer & wife fuming on the dockside in Oslo - cost him hundreds for a taxi to the pilot station, but he probably recovered the cost selling books outside the bookshop next day!).

Time to hit the bunk - should be dragging the anchor up some time before Monday and heading for Singapore, then home.
Skilly

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #31 on: Oct 09, 2014, 05:24 PM »
Thank you for your memories and reflections, Skilly. QE2 lives on, in so many of our hearts and lives... you have some really good mementos there, to treasure.

Great photo too -- you really should enter the photo competition with some of your pictures!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #32 on: Oct 09, 2014, 05:33 PM »
Hi Skilly -

Thank you very much for your message.

What has happened is truly, as you say, an absolute waste of our QE2.  There is no other ship with her beauty nor charisma !

Thank you for telling us your son is in the bow and how he has the Cunard House Flag and the NZ Flag.  Autographed even and presented by Capt. McNaught !  They are indeed awesome souvenirs of his time aboard our QE2 along with the ones you and your wife have.  The photo of QE2 in Malta in beautiful !

I do not believe any of the new ships will have the following of our QE2. 

Please let us know if your son did get a glimpse of QE2 when flying over. 

All the best for your voyage to Singapore and then home.

June   :)

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #33 on: Oct 09, 2014, 05:56 PM »
'Morning Skilly
Very Good to hear from you, hoping all is well
and 'Safe way home'
Rosie

QE2 Hotel Dubai moves from PCFC to Emaar

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Archived Topics (QE2 Hotel)

Replies: 8
Views: 1282
Last post May 17, 2019, 03:01 AM
by June Ingram
QE2 in Dubai fine art print

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Models and Paintings

Replies: 0
Views: 1769
Last post Nov 19, 2014, 08:10 PM
by Rob Lightbody
QE2 Dubai - April 2022 update

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 9
Views: 662
Last post Apr 21, 2022, 07:53 AM
by Thomas Hypher
Original Dubai Plan or Now

Started by June IngramBoard Discussions about QE2 while laid up (2008 to 2018)

Replies: 2
Views: 1332
Last post Sep 08, 2015, 09:07 PM
by citrail
11.00 hours Dubai time - 18th June 2007 QE2 Sold to Dubai !

Started by ChrisBoard The 2000s

Replies: 61
Views: 26816
Last post Jun 23, 2022, 08:23 PM
by Lynda Bradford