Author Topic: QE2 arriving in Dubai  (Read 13262 times)

Offline skilly56

Re: QE2 arriving in Dubai
« Reply #30 on: Oct 09, 2014, 05:03 PM »
Just watched that video (again). Thanks June.
Thinking of what has happened since, it is an absolute waste of probably the most sleek and elegant-looking large ship afloat.

The bloke in the bow in whites, and standing in the cat's whiskers after they connected to the tug is my youngest.
After they had the changing of owners & flags ceremony that night, that red 'Golden Lion' Cunard house flag that was up the fwd jack staff just somehow ended up hanging over his shoulders after he lowered it, to later end up in a bedroom in my home, where it will stay until he hangs it in his own home.
Ian McNaught also gave him the NZ flag that QE2 was flying when she last departed Auckland in Feb 2008, after all the other navigating officers had signed it. He now has a couple of very good momentos of his time aboard, plus he will end up with all the items my wife & I bought when aboard as well. And the attached photo that I blew up for his bedroom wall - I snapped it in Malta in July 2008.

I doubt any of the current crop of ships will ever grow a following and attraction that QE2 had over so many years.

Oddly enough, my lad flew through Dubai on his way to Denmark 3 days ago. I wonder if he was on the correct side of the aircraft to get a good view.

In the offshore industry, being delayed, or swinging on the anchor for 2-3 weeks, while waiting for something to happen is becoming the norm.
The way QE2 operated was exactly the opposite - she waited for no one (normally).
I was on the QE back in 2011 and even she didn't wait (left Jeffrey Archer & wife fuming on the dockside in Oslo - cost him hundreds for a taxi to the pilot station, but he probably recovered the cost selling books outside the bookshop next day!).

Time to hit the bunk - should be dragging the anchor up some time before Monday and heading for Singapore, then home.
Skilly

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #31 on: Oct 09, 2014, 05:24 PM »
Thank you for your memories and reflections, Skilly. QE2 lives on, in so many of our hearts and lives... you have some really good mementos there, to treasure.

Great photo too -- you really should enter the photo competition with some of your pictures!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #32 on: Oct 09, 2014, 05:33 PM »
Hi Skilly -

Thank you very much for your message.

What has happened is truly, as you say, an absolute waste of our QE2.  There is no other ship with her beauty nor charisma !

Thank you for telling us your son is in the bow and how he has the Cunard House Flag and the NZ Flag.  Autographed even and presented by Capt. McNaught !  They are indeed awesome souvenirs of his time aboard our QE2 along with the ones you and your wife have.  The photo of QE2 in Malta in beautiful !

I do not believe any of the new ships will have the following of our QE2. 

Please let us know if your son did get a glimpse of QE2 when flying over. 

All the best for your voyage to Singapore and then home.

June   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #33 on: Oct 09, 2014, 05:56 PM »
'Morning Skilly
Very Good to hear from you, hoping all is well
and 'Safe way home'
Rosie

QE2 Hotel Dubai moves from PCFC to Emaar

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Archived Topics (QE2 Hotel)

Replies: 8
Views: 1282
Last post May 17, 2019, 03:01 AM
by June Ingram
QE2 in Dubai fine art print

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Models and Paintings

Replies: 0
Views: 1769
Last post Nov 19, 2014, 08:10 PM
by Rob Lightbody
QE2 Dubai - April 2022 update

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 9
Views: 662
Last post Apr 21, 2022, 07:53 AM
by Thomas Hypher
Original Dubai Plan or Now

Started by June IngramBoard Discussions about QE2 while laid up (2008 to 2018)

Replies: 2
Views: 1332
Last post Sep 08, 2015, 09:07 PM
by citrail
11.00 hours Dubai time - 18th June 2007 QE2 Sold to Dubai !

Started by ChrisBoard The 2000s

Replies: 61
Views: 26816
Last post Jun 23, 2022, 08:23 PM
by Lynda Bradford