Author Topic: Ask the Barkeeper!  (Read 66711 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Ask the Barkeeper!
« Reply #75 on: Sep 02, 2016, 08:09 PM »
Just a note this is the Topic of Month for September so open for any questions

I occasionally like a Manhattan cocktail. 

When I order this when cruising with Cunard, the waiter gives a list of American "Whisky"such as Jack Daniels and asks which one I would like used for the cocktail.  They never offer Scots Whisky, so I do not know which one is the best.  I usually ask what is the most popular and choose that one. 

What would be the best choice for a good Manhattan cocktail?
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #76 on: Sep 02, 2016, 09:10 PM »
I occasionally like a Manhattan cocktail. 

When I order this when cruising with Cunard, the waiter gives a list of American "Whisky"such as Jack Daniels and asks which one I would like used for the cocktail.  They never offer Scots Whisky, so I do not know which one is the best.  I usually ask what is the most popular and choose that one. 

What would be the best choice for a good Manhattan cocktail?

Canadian Rye or Bourbon is the best choice

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #77 on: Sep 30, 2016, 02:32 PM »
Another question, Louis.

Have you ever come across a cocktail called Yukiguni (??, meaning Snow Country)? I saw this on a Japanese menu the other day, which added that it was "Vodka based". I wondered whether I might try it if ever I get the chance...

« Reply #78 on: Oct 08, 2016, 01:15 AM »
Another question, Louis.

Have you ever come across a cocktail called Yukiguni (??, meaning Snow Country)? I saw this on a Japanese menu the other day, which added that it was "Vodka based". I wondered whether I might try it if ever I get the chance...

I have meanwhile tried it and liked it. It resembles Kamikaze, my favourite cocktail, but on this occasion at least was more bitter than I remember Kamikaze to be (the last time I had it was on QE2...).

http://iwamoto-hiroyoshi.com/cocktail/131018/

It was presented very nicely. The frosted glass with the sugared rim, into which the green cherry was popped, and then the drink was slowly poured in, all the way to the top.

Oh! And the drink was definitely standing up! No idea why the photo upload has made it lie down... :o
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2016, 01:18 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #79 on: Oct 09, 2016, 11:50 PM »
If the drink tasted as good as it appears welcoming to look at, it must have been very good !  :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #80 on: Mar 01, 2018, 11:12 AM »
Thought id bring this back up for new members :)

« Reply #81 on: Mar 02, 2018, 08:48 PM »
Good thing you brought this back up, Louis!

A question for you. I have developed a liking for Port (for reasons that are irrelevant to this Forum), but know very little about it. Let me narrow it down to red Port.

When buying it, what should I be watching out for? What makes for a good Port, particularly if one wants a good Port that is not too expensive? Are the vintages important? What other characteristics are useful to know about?

Thank you in advance for your advice :) .

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #82 on: Mar 04, 2018, 08:08 PM »
Louis last year you created the QE2 50 cocktail that many of us enjoyed in Glasgow last year. 

Have you created other cocktails? ... and are there competitions for Barkeepers' to compete creating new cocktail recipes?
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #83 on: Mar 04, 2018, 08:41 PM »
Good thing you brought this back up, Louis!

A question for you. I have developed a liking for Port (for reasons that are irrelevant to this Forum), but know very little about it. Let me narrow it down to red Port.

When buying it, what should I be watching out for? What makes for a good Port, particularly if one wants a good Port that is not too expensive? Are the vintages important? What other characteristics are useful to know about?

Thank you in advance for your advice :) .

The best port for a normal household is the Tawny Port go for at least the 20 year old
Late Bottle Vintage are good but very expensive

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #84 on: Mar 04, 2018, 08:45 PM »
Louis last year you created the QE2 50 cocktail that many of us enjoyed in Glasgow last year. 

Have you created other cocktails? ... and are there competitions for Barkeepers' to compete creating new cocktail recipes?

Yes

Competitions are very famous check this link for example https://www.britishbartendersassociation.com/competitions

On QE2 on early years competitions were done too amogst the Barkeepers

« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2018, 03:00 PM by Davina »

« Reply #85 on: Mar 04, 2018, 08:53 PM »
The best port for a normal household is the Tawny Port go for at least the 20 year old
Late Bottle Vintage are good but very expensive

Thank you very much, Louis! I shall keep this in mind.

Are there any particular names that are better than others?

As for the QE2 50 cocktail, if I knew a place that served it, I would definitely go for it again. One of the pleasures of last year's Conference :) .

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #86 on: Mar 05, 2018, 09:48 AM »
Thank you very much, Louis! I shall keep this in mind.

Are there any particular names that are better than others?

As for the QE2 50 cocktail, if I knew a place that served it, I would definitely go for it again. One of the pleasures of last year's Conference :) .

Take the recipe with you next time you go to a bar or hotel and ask them if they can do it

« Reply #87 on: Mar 05, 2018, 09:51 AM »
Take the recipe with you next time you go to a bar or hotel and ask them if they can do it

Good idea! I'll try it and report back -- but it might take some months until I get the chance.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #88 on: Mar 05, 2018, 09:57 AM »
Good idea! I'll try it and report back -- but it might take some months until I get the chance.

Any good Bartender will be happy to do it

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #89 on: Mar 05, 2018, 05:47 PM »
Very good idea !  I will do that !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !