Author Topic: Queen Mary 2 - Greenock - September 16th  (Read 4257 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Queen Mary 2 - Greenock - September 16th
« on: Sep 07, 2011, 06:10 PM »
I heard today, while visiting QE in Greenock (more on that in another topic!), that QM2 will depart next Friday evening late, to allow for fireworks.

I'm going to be there to watch her sail (unless the weather is truly dreadful) and to take photos.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Cunarder Man

Re: Queen Mary 2 - Greenock - September 16th
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2011, 08:40 PM »
If we're sure it's a late departure I'll certainly be there.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2011, 07:29 PM »
I heard today, while visiting QE in Greenock (more on that in another topic!), that QM2 will depart next Friday evening late, to allow for fireworks.

I'm going to be there to watch her sail (unless the weather is truly dreadful) and to take photos.

Very much hope you'll get to see her, Rob.
A guest going with her to Greenock said today that Clydeports are still scheduling her to depart at 18.00 hrs
Might it be worth you double checking the sail-away time?
Clydeport Operations Ltd
Greenock Ocean Terminal
Patrick Street
Greenock
Scotland
PA16 8UU

Tel: +44 (0) 1475 726 171

Email: andrew.hemphill@clydeport.co.uk

http://www.clydeport.co.uk/index.php?site_id=1&page_id=662

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2011, 08:48 AM »
Greetings to everyone in Greenock

Have a Great Day!
Like others who are really sad that we can't be there with you and Mighty Mary
we're looking forward to reading all about it!
Rosie

PS - Don't forget cameras (please!!!)

Offline Alistair

« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2011, 01:03 PM »
Wish I was there to see QM2 today too. Hope you all have a great time in Greenock, those sailing and those visiting  :)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2011, 02:12 PM »
Its a couple of years since I was on board or even saw QM2, and in that time I've been aboard QV, QE, QE2 and SS Rotterdam.

As I travelled down from Glasgow, and saw her sitting at 'QE2's Berth' (to me it will always be that!) I felt that wee shiver that I used to get when I saw QE2 there.  She just looks so impressive.  Once I walked down from the train station and did battle with the port security people, she just towers over you. Going aboard, and she immediately feels different to the other two, in a way that is hard to describe.  She has totally her own atmosphere and style - and I really like it.  Her Art-deco look with modern and classical touches is far more appealing to me than the Victoriana of the other two.

Britannia Restaurant is still absolutely stunning, as is the Queens Room.  The size of the Royal Court Theatre surprises as you go through the door.  The length of the passenger corridors amazes.  The teak deck looks as if it was laid last week.  

The one thing I don't like, which i remember from before, is that it can seem like the sea is quite remote from the massive interior.  Many of the windows require you to duck down or sit down to see out.  

Outside, she just looks awesome - far better than i remember.  She has enormously more presence than any other modern ship, people can just tell she's different.  The crowds on the esplanade to watch the awesome fireworks (thanks Cunard!!) also seemed very impressed by her, and almost to take pride in her - she has taken over from QE2 in this way I feel.

I feel that Cunard have a classic on their hands.  A ship that draws the crowds and impresses, even though it is now 7 years old.  They need to simply look after her, fine tune her, and let history take its course!

And finally, my very good friends Bob and Lorraine arrived to see the ship that will take them across the Atlantic in a few weeks time.  It is a dream-come-true trip for them, for her 30th birthday.  They were totally excited and awe-inspired at the sight of her.  They've never done anything before like this, and the next time they'll see her is in New York.  In this respect as well, QM2 takes over from QE2's "dream trip".

Going to do my damndest to travel on her in 2012.#

Here are my photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightbody/sets/72157627688656116/
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2011, 05:36 PM »
More views and comments from Greenock
http://forargyll.com/2011/09/42520/comment-page-1/

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2011, 10:49 PM »
Video showing the QM2's departure, the sound of her whistles, and the fireworks

« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2011, 10:58 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #8 on: Sep 19, 2011, 02:28 AM »
Outside, she just looks awesome - far better than i remember.  She has enormously more presence than any other modern ship, people can just tell she's different.  The crowds on the esplanade to watch the awesome fireworks (thanks Cunard!!) also seemed very impressed by her, and almost to take pride in her - she has taken over from QE2 in this way I feel.

I feel that Cunard have a classic on their hands.  A ship that draws the crowds and impresses, even though it is now 7 years old.  They need to simply look after her, fine tune her, and let history take its course!
Going to do my damndest to travel on her in 2012.#

Rob, this is exactly how I felt toward the end of my first cruise on her.  I have to agree totally about her presence.  Everywhere we went in the Caribbean, there were other ships in port at the same time, but none gained the crowds and attention that QM2 did, which is exactly the same draw that QE2 had.has.  It really hit me as I was standing in line in the photo area and they were running  video of the Queen launching the ship, as she had done for QE2.  History will take its course!
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Andy F

« Reply #9 on: Sep 19, 2011, 10:25 PM »
Glad you enjoyed her Rob and some great shots from your all too brief time aboard but it's an interesting point you make.  QM2 lived in QE2's shadow in the same way the original Queen Elizabeth did with Queen Mary but since taking on the mantle as the sole remaining transatlantic liner then she will continue to gain in popularity among the travelling masses and especially with those who never got to experience her venerable sister.

She's not everyone's cup of tea accepted and that's a matter of personal choice but then again dare I say it, not everyone was as enamoured as us with QE2. I've certainly enjoyed the times I've spent on board and I'm sure your friends will have a great time on board but would certainly recommend you try her when able. 
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Live from Queen Victoria, World Cruise 2014

Started by TwynkleBoard The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA)

Replies: 8
Views: 5082
Last post Sep 01, 2014, 04:13 PM
by Twynkle
Queen Victoria Suite

Started by Michael GallagherBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 6
Views: 533
Last post Oct 25, 2020, 04:47 PM
by Andy Holloway
Steven Adler, QE2 Waiter, Queen's Grill 1981-1985

Started by adlerscBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 44
Views: 19770
Last post Jul 05, 2020, 04:05 PM
by Vincent Scriven
Queen Victoria - Iberian Serenade 11/11/12

Started by CAPBoard Past Events

Replies: 2
Views: 1828
Last post Oct 22, 2012, 08:00 PM
by LegendOfTheSeas
The Queen at the Naming of Queen Elizabeth

Started by Michael GallagherBoard The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA)

Replies: 0
Views: 615
Last post Jun 13, 2018, 02:19 PM
by Michael Gallagher