Author Topic: Any Photoshop experts here? (QE2/Normandie hybrid)  (Read 7284 times)

Offline jdl

• Britannia Grill Diner
  • Sorry its not a picture of me and QE2!
Re: Any Photoshop experts here? (QE2/Normandie hybrid)
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2010, 10:56 PM »
I didn't like the first two concept drawings as I felt the proportions of the upper superstructure just didn't look right - it also made me fully appreicate how right the QE2's designers got it first time.

But the second two concepts are much better in my opinion, my money would be on the latter of the two as the QE2 style bridge/front end has the best overall fit.

I'm only prepared to invest £1.00 at the moment though!!

john

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2010, 11:13 PM »
Well, we had to do the drawings in stages - that way it's easier to see how it can be "tweaked" to get it right.  Trying to do everything at once would more than likely have taken longer in the end.

There is actually a third drawing with a very interesting modification to the funnels; hopefully Clydebuilt will be able to post it up soon.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline jdl

• Britannia Grill Diner
  • Sorry its not a picture of me and QE2!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2010, 11:21 PM »
Peter,

Sorry, wasn't trying to be critical just my view on it  :)  My views are only worth a few pence at the best of times ;D

john

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2010, 05:18 PM »
I thought this might modernise the whole theme a bit and lend some lineage to it as well. I've only modified the QE front end version tho.

I do intend to redo the drawing with balanced colours etc at some point.

I think Peter thought I was getting a bit carried away at points!!!

Ach well - in for a penny in for a pound.

I hope you all enjoy looking and commenting as much as I enjoyed working with Peter to create this hybrid!!  ;)

Gav
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2010, 05:20 PM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2010, 10:08 PM »
Jdl, say what you like; it's a free country and in this particular discussion I would think that opinions on which drawing looks best are extremely valid.  :)

Gavin - thank you for putting up that one with the modified funnels. :)  And yeah, while I may be getting a bit carried away ( I have enough on my plate with my hovercraft project without taking on new True Queens as well! ) it is at least getting the idea out there into the public domain - and who knows...? :)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #20 on: Apr 20, 2010, 10:31 AM »
In the light of recent events, perhaps we should start seriously looking at this idea of mine!

Maybe not so far fetched after all?  Especially since Thompson ( I think it was ) have used a cruise ship this week to get people home from the Canaries or somewhere like that...

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #21 on: Apr 20, 2010, 11:52 PM »
 ;D Three QE2 style funnels made me laugh. I can just see Scary Mary going yellow all over with a bad case of jealousy.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 12:09 PM »
I still can't make up my mind which funnels I prefer; I think I favour the older style funnels rather than the QE2 style funnels, but what do you think?

Offline Chris

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 01:22 PM »
QE2's funnel was never designed to be duplicated more than once on a ship, so on a dual funnelled ship, I prefer a older style stack.
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 02:09 PM »
QE2's funnel was never designed to be duplicated more than once on a ship, so on a dual funnelled ship, I prefer a older style stack.
I detest QE2's funnel being duplicate anywhere - even on QM2.  It was meant to be unique, a 1-off, extremely modern etc. etc.  Other ships should have their own functional funnels, even QM2!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 02:17 PM »
Good point both of you.  It seems my favouring the older design of funnel is the right way to go about it, then?  Though you have to admit, surely, that the QE2 styled version is rather striking in appearance?

( And Rob, note one which of the three designs I did not put into the document I sent you 90 minutes ago! :)  )

Queen Victoria: Onno Heesbeen's Vista/QM2 Hybrid Design

Started by kevinhBoard The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA)

Replies: 0
Views: 760
Last post Jan 18, 2018, 11:49 PM
by kevinh
The new Hybrid powered Hurtigruten expedition cruise ships

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 1
Views: 436
Last post Jul 07, 2019, 02:23 AM
by June Ingram