Author Topic: Forum members at QE2 Hotel Dubai - Nov / Dec 2023  (Read 4183 times)

Online Cunarder Man

Re: Forum members at QE2 Hotel Dubai - Nov / Dec 2023
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2023, 07:26 AM »
Heading from Deck 1 to the C stairway lift heading down to deck 7 I was struck that this was the only original passenger lift operational. I can understand why all others had been replaced. I enjoyed my swim in the pool, it was very warm and the two adjacent gymnasiums were being used. The original wooden steps into the water had gone but replaced by a similar aluminium set. It was all very clean and tidy. As for an outdoor pool, a dockside spa facility has been planned but I suspect a pool on deck will come. All the decks are being replaced with a modern decking material. She will look good.

Online Cunarder Man

« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2023, 07:36 AM »
I must commend the team for their displays of memorabilia both on board in the new Travellers Cove Museum and on shore in the Reception space. It is tastefully and respectfully displayed. The History & Heritage Curator is working hard to develop the story of QE2: I was very impressed and left feeling very reassured. It is too easy to be critical from afar; one must see it to appreciate the work involved.

Online Cunarder Man

« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2023, 07:42 AM »
Some other ‘gems’ on display and many others being prepared for various displays. I was most impressed!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2023, 02:31 AM »
Wonderful photos !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Cunarder Man

« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2023, 07:33 PM »
Great to meet up with other Forum members on QE2. Alan & Shona Connor, Brendan Clarke (History & Heritage Curator QE2) & Alex Tarry.

Online Cunarder Man

« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2023, 07:43 PM »
Funnel Studies!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #21 on: Dec 04, 2023, 11:47 AM »
Superb photos John !!

Love the way the funnel is lit up inside at night, thats nice.  I keep wondering if there's an environmentally sensitive way in which they could, from time to time, put a wispy bit of smoke up her funnel to make her look alive - maybe for special occasions.

Great to have a meetup of you all on board.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2023, 06:37 PM »
Awesome photos ! Many thanks !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2023, 10:09 PM »
I keep wondering if there's an environmentally sensitive way in which they could, from time to time, put a wispy bit of smoke up her funnel to make her look alive - maybe for special occasions.

That shouldn't be too difficult - steam, generated by solar powered electricity from the local area...?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Rod

« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2023, 11:16 PM »
I think that you had better wait until that climate change party is over?

Online Cunarder Man

« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2023, 05:59 PM »
My cabin on QE2 on the Signal Deck - 8018. Just couldn’t have asked for better! All cabins have been renovated to a high standard. There was no walk-in wardrobe or bath which probably allowed the bed space to be larger.  The service was excellent too.

Online Cunarder Man

« Reply #26 on: Dec 09, 2023, 10:53 AM »
The decks - obviously the sun has taken its toll on the mahogany decking as is evident on Deck One aft. I’m sure this will be renovated soon. As illustrated, other decks are in the process of being replaced and are looking really good.

Online Cunarder Man

« Reply #27 on: Dec 09, 2023, 10:57 AM »
A knock at the door and a surprise to welcome me on board!

Online Cunarder Man

« Reply #28 on: Dec 09, 2023, 11:23 AM »
QE2 Conference Centre located on Deck Two aft. Multifunction rooms finished to a high standard. Notice the detail on the glass door which is reflective of a carpet design found on board.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #29 on: Dec 09, 2023, 11:34 AM »
Fantastic photos so far John.

Would the teak on 1-deck aft have stood up better if it had been oiled regularly?  Or would that have made it cook worse?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.