Author Topic: Silversea?  (Read 2474 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Silversea?
« on: Jul 16, 2023, 11:38 AM »
Hi

I was wondering if anyone on the forum has any experience of silversea?

I hadn't really been aware of them until recently, but after our general disappointment with Cunard at Christmas, we have been looking at alternative lines that might fit us better and silversea look interesting.  Of particular interest is the fact that absolutely everything is included from the moment you step out of your front door, until your arrive back home... What appears on first glance to be very expensive, doesn't work out that way for some trips if you do your sums!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Re: Silversea?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2023, 09:36 PM »
While I don't know much about this line, I have a vague memory of reading that one of their vessels is staffed by a high proportion of former QE2, or at least Cunard, crew...?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline George C Griffiths

« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2023, 09:59 AM »
Hi Rob - On 16 August this year I go on Silversea for the first time. However - I've sailed with Regent twice and they're pretty much of the same standard. On both all is included - including tips and shore excursions in addition to there being no cost for alcohol. My travel agent invited me to a presentation by Regent 5 or so years ago when one of their vessels was in Leith. Part of the presentation was to compare "free" and paid for extras. If you accept the bottom line it is a fact that these all inclusives can work out cheaper. Many years ago I started to do river cruising - with Uniworld - and they too are all inclusive just like Regent and Silversea. It is for these reasons that I stopped doing Cunard. Another "plus" that these others lines offer is less formality - although this may not appeal to those who like dressing up! In terms of standards - I'd say that these vessels offer higher standards than does Cunard. Having sailed at Queens Grill standard on all 4 Cunard shps (which includes QE2) I'd say that even the food is of a higher standard - and I never thought I'd ever say that! I don't really see me going back on Cunard ships (unless QE2 comes back into service!) now that I've found many better. To the list of Regent, Silversea and Uniworld I'd also add Star Clippers on which I've sailed 3 times with a 4th booked for next January. These are so very different although not all inclusive - but worth doing for sure. If you or any others want any additional information to that above - just holler! So far this year I've done a Regent and 2 Uniworlds so my knowledge base is quite well stacked.

« Reply #3 on: Jul 27, 2023, 02:03 PM »
I omitted to say that Regent, Silversea and Uniworld all generally include flights. In addition - pre and post cruise overnight hotel stays are included if the flight arrival time does not reasonably match with embarkation. My upcoming Silversea cruise includes both pre and post hotel nights. In addition - Silversea includes private chauffeured cars from home to airport and pre-cruise and return post-cruise. (A maximum distance applies)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #4 on: Jul 27, 2023, 03:05 PM »
Thanks George, that's all very helpful.

I'd appreciate a short review when you get back from your cruise please!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #5 on: Jul 27, 2023, 09:17 PM »
I have 3 friends right now on one of their ships and all appear to be having a very nice time, all ex QE2 passengers and have tried QM2 , all rave about the food and are having a great time with it being all-inclusive. Another friend also sailed exclusively in QG on QE2 and has completed a number of Silversea cruises. However, he's a bit of a snob , and enjoys the attention and heaps praise about Silversea, but then knowing him , that is his style and more so with the free (some of us call it complimentary) bubbles. But then as with QE2 you do meet all types on cruises.     
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #6 on: Jul 27, 2023, 10:14 PM »
Going on a "luxury" holiday was part of the appeal of Cunard to me, but I don't find it luxurious to constantly be asked for more money on board, and the cost of drinks when we were on at Christmas was pretty much insane.  It's definitely appealing to not have to think about it while on board, and feels like luxury to me!

« Reply #7 on: Jul 28, 2023, 05:12 PM »
Yes I'll be happy to provide a review when I get back. Having sailed on these 6 star "boutique" ocean and river vessels I often hear on board guests saying how much more convenient it is not to be searching for the card to pay for drinks etc. It's true to say that having sailed on these vessels so often I'd find it hard to step back in time to Cunard. I realise that there is still a market for them and that's fine. But there are many more better out there I can assure you - which is what I found out simply by trying them. Don't forget or ignore river cruising as I have done all over Europe and China. Although I still do ocean cruising I actualy prefer river cruising now. Many guests I speak with on the rivers feel the same as I do. However I decide to sail I now choose the vessel more for the ports (ocean) or towns etc (rivers) or a particular theme. For example - when I did a Regent in January it was to look a bit more closely at the Mayan culture in the Caribbean. Then this Silversea one I'm doing next month is to Iceland to look closer at the Viking culture since Iceland is the most Viking place in the world now. So in summary - for me - it's more about the destinations than the vessel. That said - I prefer the luxury 6 star vessels and choose them to follow my interests.

« Reply #8 on: Jul 28, 2023, 05:15 PM »
Once more I forgot something - which is that on Regent and Silversea there is no charge (with a few exceptions) for speciality dining. Only booking is necessary.

« Reply #9 on: Jul 30, 2023, 08:26 AM »
I keep remembering things! Regent and Silversea vessels are not small - but not as large as these horrible floating tower blocks that are becoming more common. At the Regent presentation I attended in Leith I was told that the vessel I was on was of a size that could accomodate 1,500 guests - but they configure it to take only 450 (from memory) so nowhere is crowded as is often the case, even on Cunard. So the passenger to space ratio is way more than acceptable. In addition - all staterooms are actual suites and with balconies.
On my 2 Regent voyages, last October and this January, I was more than satisfied with my suite, balcony and space around the vessel. Silversea is more or less the same in these respects.
If I remember any more I'll keep adding!

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #10 on: Jul 30, 2023, 09:10 PM »
Thank you, George, for all this information.

I am also indirectly interested, as I know someone who is seriously considering an entire World Cruise on a Silverseas vessel. Not immediately, but perhaps next year.

« Reply #11 on: Aug 01, 2023, 02:42 PM »
Every Sunday on Regent is Champagne and Caviar breakfast!  :D

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #12 on: Aug 01, 2023, 08:15 PM »
Going on a "luxury" holiday was part of the appeal of Cunard to me, but I don't find it luxurious to constantly be asked for more money on board,   

Gosh in all my years and l traveled in steerage, l would have never said the Cunard product (QE2 in my case) was ever luxury . I cant speak for the service up top, but it surely must have been better. 

Its also interesting to define what makes "luxury" , and can you get luxury on these bigger ships.

The little Hebridean Princess that tootles around the west coast , always looked really nice, l had a tour of her once and shes very tartan and tweeds. Friends did a trip on her out to St Kilda and raved about the experience, but as the gentleman said, who could ever call a converted cal mac ferry luxury . But she has a very high repeat passenger count, and given the size and just how early people book does fill up and sell out. They do produce a lovely high glossy brochure and nice mailings.   

Going "all inclusive" can have different views, lm generally not a big drinker,  so why subsidise those that do drink, and if its all-inclusive is there a need to try to get your moneys worth. Adverts in the Sunday papers for trips to Blackpool "all inclusive" drinks show your bog standard vodka gin run and cider,  One dreads to think of the state of the rooms and guests if they are so minded to get their moneys worth. Again a simply no tipping policy on the all inclusive cruises, isn't there a pressure to reward the faithful butler  or waiter or room attendant with a small something? Or is there a view that its all inclusive and staff refuse such things? l was speaking to a butler on a recent trip and the tipping subject was raised , there are some guests who will ask very little of a butler and there are others who will have them running for everything and if its all inclusive , do the butlers feel cheated out of money ?         

I once went to a New Years party on the Medway in San Diego, a thousand other people were there, and a hosted (complimentary) bar was in operation . I can only imagine the scene if it was in Scotland , and  was very surprised at how well-behaved everyone was and how generally quiet the bars were. Im all too aware of how Scotland has a massive issue with drinking, l see it most weekends, we discourage free bars,  in the past when they were in operation you had people asking for doubles,  triples and double-doubles, in the end we posed the limits of single measure only, and now we simply refuse to operate a free bar. Of course cruise ships are another matter, and the higher end ones bring a better class of drunk.
We have a guest who stays every year, a complete pain with the drink, but he's generous with the loaded palm and we all turn a blind eye , it makes the suffering bearable.     

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #13 on: Aug 01, 2023, 09:53 PM »
The little Hebridean Princess that tootles around the west coast , always looked really nice, l had a tour of her once and shes very tartan and tweeds. Friends did a trip on her out to St Kilda and raved about the experience, but as the gentleman said, who could ever call a converted cal mac ferry luxury . But she has a very high repeat passenger count, and given the size and just how early people book does fill up and sell out. They do produce a lovely high glossy brochure and nice mailings.   

Given that this vessel was twice chartered by a personage who would really know quality of service and well arranged surroundings, it's a safe bet that the "converted Cal-Mac ferry", as the gentleman put it, is hitting the right spot.  :)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #14 on: Aug 02, 2023, 07:09 PM »
  Given that this vessel was twice chartered by a personage who would really know quality of service and well arranged surroundings, it's a safe bet that the "converted Cal-Mac ferry", as the gentleman put it, is hitting the right spot.  :)

Indeed she is. The brochure photos certainly speak a 1000 words.

Silversea Silver Whisper Japan review

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 2
Views: 411
Last post Oct 31, 2023, 09:38 AM
by Ben Zabulis