Author Topic: So Just WHAT was QE2 christened with?  (Read 16183 times)

Cruise_Princess

So Just WHAT was QE2 christened with?
« on: Apr 24, 2010, 10:36 AM »
Couldn't get too sleep last night ...ended up reading a back copy of World of Cruising ...2008 issue all about the retirement of QE2...and included various articles...one I was  reading..( don't  know how I didn't pick this up before)...all about the launch of our dear old QE2 at Clydebank...  the feature continued to tell us that this magnificent Queen was christened with a bottle of AUSTRALIAN WINE!!!!!!!!
Someone please  tell me this is not true........SURELY it was Champagne,,,,,,,,,

I'm hoping it was a misprint....as never heard this before....

Do you know????

Offline Michael Gallagher

Re: So Just WHAT was QE2 christened with?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2010, 01:17 PM »
Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth and QE2 were launched with Australian or Empire wine. Not using champagne was a sort of snub to the French. So QE2 was old fashioned wine I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2014, 11:34 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2010, 05:16 PM »
Thanks Michael...you live and learn thats something I never ever knew....

So what are the new babes christened with?

Lambrini???   hee hee

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2010, 08:19 PM »
It's the Veuves Cliquot as the champagne bars onboard isn't it?

Hope the new Lizzies ' breaks this time!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #4 on: Apr 24, 2010, 10:39 PM »
There's another champagne - very much better than Veuve Cliquot!
Perrier Jouet was delivered to our cabin, complete with steward with white gloves and broad smile ;)
A very generous gift.  We loved it - it was perfect!

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #5 on: Apr 24, 2010, 11:45 PM »
I am tempted to suppose that the Vista Sisters are christened with plonk (very cheap and nasty wine).

Offline Chris

« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2010, 08:14 AM »
Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth and QE2 were launched with Australian or Empire wine.

Aussie Aussie Aussie ;)
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Offline Chris

« Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 2010, 08:16 AM »
I am tempted to suppose that the Vista Sisters are christened with plonk (very cheap and nasty wine).

I doubt it, Cunard are proud of their Vista Queens and would christen them accordingly. After all, the cost of a decent bottle of Champagne pales in comparison to the expense of the elaborate naming ceremonies complete with Royals, fireworks and light shows.
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #8 on: Apr 25, 2010, 10:13 AM »
Hey Everyone!
Am I the only one that really finds it a bit difficult to agree with the use of the term 'christen' in relation to ships?
Historically, it would be really interesting to know when it was very first used - and where!

Remembering ships with 'slopey' hulls and tankers with almost flat ones that used to be launched with such style on the Mersey and other places too - champagne, big parties - both before and after the event, working men's night out, day off work, waving hats  (bowlers, worn by the 'toffs') women in their posh fur coats - all watching in awe, and almost deafened as the new ship pulled against the mountains of chain, couldn't wait to get sailing;  and the massive loud cheers, reports in the newspapers - and now, because the industry has shrunk in the UK, there's not much about launching now, naming or christening.
It seems Very Sad.

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2010, 10:50 AM by Twynkle »

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #9 on: Apr 25, 2010, 11:11 AM »

Am I the only one that really finds it a bit difficult to agree with the use of the term 'christen' in relation to ships?

I take the blame  ( at the moment) for even saying christening!  Should have know better,,,I'd have been the first to correct someone saying such a thing,,,LAUNCH LAUNCH LAUNCH!!!  But of course the ships are not launched now..no slipway ...its just not the same I agree,,,but when ships are built from lego now we can't expect the proper launch either.....they are too fat to go down the slipway aren't they???

Yes ships should STILL be launched,,,but again its a thing of the past isn't it?

The recent Naval type 42 destroyers were all 'launched' in the old fashioned way despite being built lego like....but it looked good!  Wonder what champers they used?

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #10 on: Apr 25, 2010, 11:31 AM »
Hey Cruise Princess -
The comment about the use of 'christening' wasn't meant to be rude about you!
It's an everyday expression that's become ship-related -
and maybe it's been around for longer than I have!

By the way - did the RN use the expression 'christen' for their destroyers?

(Off topic here, and thought it might cheer you up!!
 - there's a magnificent photograph of the Ark Royal, taken in 1950,
by one of the best photographers of his time, Edward Chambre Hardman.
http://www.ntprints.com/image.php?id=346044&idx=0&fromsearch=true
If ever you are in Liverpool, go and see his studio in Rodney St - National Trust!)
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2010, 11:53 AM by Twynkle »

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #11 on: Apr 25, 2010, 12:33 PM »
Correct me But why if ships are launched in Scotland do they use french champagne or Aussie Wine..
Look at the Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Elizabeth 2. All well built Clyde scottish ships and yet they tarnish the hull with this imported stuff,(and please no offence to you Chris) Why dont they use the drink of Scotland... Malt Whisky.. Heck Scotlands other national drink Iron Bru could be a second choice....

and now, because the industry has shrunk in the UK, there's not much about launching now, naming or christening.
It seems Very Sad.

Isnt that because of the very tight time schedules between naming (l much prefer that word) and the first of the Maiden Voyages. Lets not forget they need to get the travel agents onboard so they can see these new products and anyone who has attended a preview tour of the QM2 or QV will agree that Cunard do put on a good show. So that initself must eat up a chunk of the budget. Who couldnt fail to be moved by the lone piper on the deck of QM2 when she was named.
 At least Cunard do get a great name to name their ships, Wouldnt it be just so fitting and a source of national pride if Her Majesty the Queen could do this honour.
When you look at some of the other cruise liners and their naming, Cunard at least cannot  be described as tacky on that.     
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #12 on: Apr 25, 2010, 12:49 PM »
Myles
Didn't all ships used to be named at the time of the launch of the hull and before fitting out?
The naming was done always by a woman, often by a wife of one of the Directors or Chairman - or a VIP, no matter how small, or 'un-famous' the ship, I think?
Wasn't it a shame that wives and girlfriends of the shipbuilders, welders, etc couldn't be included as a 'launching' person!
I wonder who launched the older Cunarders?
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2010, 12:51 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #13 on: Apr 25, 2010, 12:50 PM »
John Rannie (boss of the yard) did want to use whisky to name Q4 but was overruled by Cunard. But then Cunard wanted the Beatles to perform at the launch and the yard vetoed that. Give and take I suppose.

Offline Chris

Re: So Jusst WHAT was QE2 christened with?
« Reply #14 on: Apr 25, 2010, 01:09 PM »
Personally I like the Australian connection re: the Wine.

Michael, do you have any idea what vineyard it came from?

The Beatles, for a ship that was a 60's icon, would have been superb.