Author Topic: Cruise ships scrapped due to Covid etc  (Read 865 times)

Offline Mauretania1907

Cruise ships scrapped due to Covid etc
« on: Aug 30, 2022, 05:07 AM »
Some years ago, I started a list of cruise ships. Now I find a lot of the older ones could be gone because of the huge downturn of business due to Covid. For example I found a photo of three Carnival ships and two other ships lined up for demolition somewhere in Turkey. I believe one was Carnival Fantasy. Can anyone tell me which ships have gone, their company and if known their previous history. Or can someone tell me where to look for ships recently gone (say in last four years or so. :(

Offline Mauretania1907

Re: Cruise ships scrapped due to Covid etc
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2022, 05:30 AM »
For instance, this is what i have gleaned so far, but I would like confirmation of whether I have the info right or not.
KARNIKA built 1990 as Crown Princess aka Pacific Jewel
COLUMBUS built 1989 as Star Princess
MARKO POLO b965 as Alexandr Pushkin
MAGELLAN b. 1985 as Holiday
GRAND CELEBRATION b. 1987  as ? (Carnival ?)
OCEAN DREAM 1982 as Tropicale?
ALBATROSS b 1973 as Royal Viking Sea
LEISURE WORLD built 1969 as Skyward   Scrapped July 2021?
AMUSEMENT WORLD built 1967 as a Swedish ferry?
CARNIVAL FASCINATION built 1994, subsequent names Century Harmony - Y Harmony
COSTA neo ROMANTICA built ? possibly sold on to Louis Group but did not enter service for them
COSTA VICTORIA built 1996 poss scrapped June 2020 :(

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2022, 05:46 AM »
Some more!!!
MONARCH built as Monarch of the Seas  Scrapped july 2020
SOVEREIGN aka Pullmantur Sovereign Scrapped July 2020
CARNIVAL FANTASY, also C Imagination, Inspiration and Fascination, all built during 1990's, and I think they initially did not have 'Carnival' before their names. possibly these are the ships I saw in that horrible scrapyard photo
SUN PRINCESS built 1988, aka pacific World, Sea princess and possibly other names.
EMPRESS x Majesty of the Seas
COSTA VICTORIA
P@O OCEANA built 2000 - possibly sold for further trading. (hopefully)
ROYAL VIKING SKY (or Star) subsequently Black watch and Boudiccia built 1972.
I will leave off for now and await your corrections. There are apparently 25 ships which have met their fates on the beaches of scrap, are there more - and who are they, please. My thanks in advance for all your kind help. Ellen.

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2022, 05:57 PM »
In September 2020, Sun Princess was sold to Peace Boat.[5] The Sun Princess was renamed Pacific World.[6]
This is the 1995 Sun Princess, not to be confused with the earlier Sun Princess MS Sun Princess (1974) a cruise ship launched in 1972, she served under this name from 1974 until 1988 when he was sold. However her end was not quite what her 'notability' followed!
https://maritime-executive.com/article/abandoned-cruise-ship-capsizes

I spent 2 years as SSO on Sun Princess [1995] after the Cunard 'ethnic cleansing' of 2005, 7 day cruising Alaska out of Seattle in the summer months and, the 10 day cruising the Caribbean out of Ft Lauderdale the rest of the year.

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2022, 06:37 AM »
Thank you Andy, you have answered two questions. And shown me the very sad end of SEAWARD. Poor little Love Boat got no love at the end. :o

Offline skilly56

« Reply #5 on: Sep 01, 2022, 11:59 AM »
Columbus was actually built as the Sitmar Fairmajesty, but was then taken over by P&O before launching.
I travelled the Caribbean on her in 2010 - I have never put so many wheelchairs together, ever.
But, that shows that more disabled people are taking up cruising (or were, before Covid arrived!).

From Mauretania 1907 post:
For instance, this is what i have gleaned so far, but I would like confirmation of whether I have the info right or not.
KARNIKA built 1990 as Crown Princess aka Pacific Jewel
COLUMBUS built 1989 as Star Princess
MARKO POLO b965 as Alexandr Pushkin
MAGELLAN b. 1985 as Holiday

Skilly
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2022, 12:01 PM by skilly56 »

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 2022, 12:36 AM »
tHANK YOU sKILLY I have been to wikipedia but found some of its info incorrect.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2022, 03:51 PM »
Hi Mauritania

How good it is to see you here!!!
Hoping all is well with you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/shipbreaking/
I noticed that there are pages on Facebook where the guys doing it, have posted ships being scrapped.

And Peter Knego (USA) follows ships which go to the breakers Yards too.
Here is his video on YuoTube

Last but not least perhaps?
https://shipbreakingplatform.org/resources/annual-lists/
Scroll right down!

Hoping these links may be of use - Although there' are only a few  passenger ships, and Covid isn't referenced
All the best
Rosie

« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2022, 04:03 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2022, 06:20 PM »
It's interesting that the video highlights the old SS Norway as, in 2001 i think it was, she was alongside in Bremerhaven at the same time that QE2 was in for a 'wash and brush up'!
Talking to the Lloyd Werft managers often about the fact that QE2 crew were split between the Europeans in local hotels in Bremerhaven and the Filipinos at 'holiday camp' at Cuxhaven, 1hr 30 minutes away, on a good day.

They told us that Lloyd Werft had approached NCL with a proposition to buy the SS Norway and use it as an accommodation ship for cruise ships crew while in refit. They had offered a fair price, as opposed to 'scrap price' and would have funded all the work needed to make it usable as an accommodation ship. The proposition was fully backed by all the major cruise companies who use Lloyd Werft if for no other reason than they would have their crews 'on site' so to speak.
However NCL would budge in their valuation of SS Norway and eventually Lloyd Werft withdrew their offer and as such SS Norway went for scrap. Had NCL not been so belligerent then she would probably still be 'alive today and earning her keep, albeit in a slightly different role than she was originally built for.   

QE2 World Cruise Souvenir Books - for sale

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Misc QE2 Archive

Replies: 6
Views: 2281
Last post Dec 31, 2017, 10:46 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Elizabeth - Meet fellow members on board a future cruise

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA)

Replies: 7
Views: 3078
Last post Oct 09, 2010, 01:14 AM
by highlander0108
QE2 Pages 34 - 41 in Cruise Travel Magazine 1980's (deck plan -life onboard)

Started by backinthehatchBoard Books, Videos and DVDs about QE2

Replies: 4
Views: 3066
Last post Apr 24, 2013, 09:02 PM
by Alan Snelson
2003 World Cruise “Leave At Home” Directory

Started by ChrisBoard The 2000s

Replies: 5
Views: 718
Last post Apr 02, 2021, 09:53 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
1974 Cruise schedule from Soton