Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Why Cunard ?  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Jem

Why Cunard ?
« on: Sep 02, 2009, 08:20 PM »
OK I know they have the only true transatlantic liner in the world, still doing the regular run.
I have a trip booked on her for next year. I choose QM2 rather than Vicky as I want the experience of being on a real liner rather than a cruise ship. I choose Cunard as I want to try and capture the way 'it used to be'.

Would love to hear your comments??

Cheers

Offline jdl

• Britannia Grill Diner
  • Sorry its not a picture of me and QE2!
Why Cunard ?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2009, 03:43 PM »
As the title suggests why do you sail with Cunard over other lines, when QE2 was still in the fleet this would no doubt be the main reason for the members of the forum but what are the reasons now?

Personally I've only ever travelled on Cunard and never really consider going with anyone else, although since my daughter was born 18 months ago P&O are looking a possibility these days as they are really geared up for kids on certain ships.

Do any of the following reasons strike a chord with anyone, or do you have your own reasons:

1. Only line offering regular Trans Atlantic sailings
2. Ships in the fleet
3. Love of the more formal aspect of Cunard
4. Previous experience

jdl
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2009, 05:21 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Why Cunard ?
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2009, 05:32 PM »
Yes, I've wondered that too. Why Cunard?

For me, it was because they had the two ships I loved -- QE2 and Caronia.

They sold them off. They no longer have them.

So, this post-Cunard phase has become an interesting learning phase for me. There are other shipping lines! That was a revelation I would not have had if QE2 and Caronia had stayed in Cunard service.

This year, I had an extremely good (and very different!) experience with Fred.Olsen. And I have friends who warmly recommend Saga, so I shall no doubt catch up with Caronia again under her new owners.

And my friends recommend other ships too -- some belonging to owners I had never even heard of before.

The shipping world is big! And Cunard is just one player in it.

There are two reasons now why I would go back to Cunard (but not exclusively again) :

• they have many crew members who used to work on QE2 and Caronia, and it would be a pleasure to see them again,
  • they have QM2, which is quite an exceptional ship for this day and age, and I shall want to try her.

After they sold both my favourite ships, I have been liberated to have a look at the broader shipping picture -- and that, perhaps, is something to enjoy!

But QE2 will remain my favourite ship. She is unique -- there will never be another to take her place.
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2009, 05:37 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2009, 08:24 AM »
About Cunard
British Travel Awards are announced on 11.11.2008

Cunard was also honoured at the British Travel Awards and was voted as the cruise line of the year. The President of the cruise line, Peter Shanks, said of the award “It’s the big one,” and added that “It’s a great achievement.” Shanks also noted that he was excited to inform his staff on board both the Queen Victoria and the Queen Mary 2 that their passengers had offered such praise for the cruise line.

The irony of it!
QE2 was also working for Cunard during the same year....

http://www.bestcruisedeal.co.uk/news_detail.asp?newsid=371/British-Travel-Awards-are-announced

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2009, 09:16 PM »
Why Cunard indeed......

After they sold both my favourite ships, I have been liberated to have a look at the broader shipping picture -- and that, perhaps, is something to enjoy!

Im with Isabelle, having sailed with QE2 since 1986 it wasnt the brand CUNARD that attracted me, it was purely for the ship, she was a brand unto herself.
 In the early years of my cruising we never had such things as discounts or onboard credit, everyone knew the price you paid with the cabin you had, the dress code was very clearly understood (Formal or Informal, simple eh !!)) and you knew exactly what you were getting, a very good product, and perhaps a very good type of passenger.Granted QE2 wasnt as full back then as to what she was in her later years.

Now look at the brand Cunard..... what is it? well in my experience as the new breed of guests arrive you book a voyage many many months in advance and really are now screwed by the very same brand, how often have we met first timers who are upgraded, the menu choices are pretty much less than what they were, even the type of guests seem to have changed. Now is that down to the company  making increased profits, hence the crazy prices and discounts you see on voyages these days, and perhaps the wrong bums on beds?

Granted Carnival/Cunard are in the business to make a profit. Perhaps the brand Cunard is not what it used to be for some folks, However the brand is now not what it used to be for a great many more new breed of guests or whatever they call them these days, and that can only be a good thing?

As one of the old timers, lm happy to admit l took my first non cruise holiday earlier this year, the closest l got to cunard was a few nights on the Queen Mary (The proper one ;) ).  And so as one of the newly liberated passengers (never a guest) lm happy to admit if l never set foot on a Cunard ship ever again, l doubt l would miss it.
In time l may be tempted to try, dare l say another cruise line :-X, or even revist Cunard to top up the diamond card But when youve had the best of the best ;D really the only way you can go is downwards , and as a loyal passenger with Cunard l never dreamed l would utter such words.

As for dear old QE2 ,She  provided me with all l really needed, she knew my needs, l understood her and all she ment, and of course lm still sad she was taken from us.
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2009, 02:34 PM by Rob Lightbody »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2009, 02:21 PM »
QE2 is the only reason I am interested in Cunard.  QM2 is now a reason, but I'm only interested in QM2 because of QE2!

With QE2 gone, and only having a bit of interest in QM2, and not really interested in cruising as such, I would look at any cruise line that suited me, I feel no particular loyalty to Cunard now at all.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline andyh

« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2009, 05:37 PM »
As the title suggests why do you sail with Cunard over other lines, when QE2 was still in the fleet this would no doubt be the main reason for the members of the forum but what are the reasons now?

Personally I've only ever travelled on Cunard and never really consider going with anyone else, although since my daughter was born 18 months ago P&O are looking a possibility these days as they are really geared up for kids on certain ships.

Do any of the following reasons strike a chord with anyone, or do you have your own reasons:

1. Only line offering regular Trans Atlantic sailings
2. Ships in the fleet
3. Love of the more formal aspect of Cunard
4. Previous experience

jdl

For me it is the more formal aspect, and the lack of children running around, makes it a more pleasurable experience

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2019, 09:12 PM »
Throwback Topic....

I choose Cunard as I want to try and capture the way 'it used to be'.

Would love to hear your comments??

Cheers   
Can the same still be said today...
As the great Alan Whicker said on one of his travels (not realting to QE2) , Its not as good as it used to be, but its not as good for many more people as it used to be.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Cunard in Southampton

Started by Michael GallagherBoard Cunard

Replies: 8
Views: 2591
CUNARD announce new non smoking policy for 2014

Started by tdicksonBoard Cunard

Replies: 4
Views: 2394
Cunard Wedding Package

Started by tdicksonBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 1
Views: 765
MV Cunard Princess (currently Golden Iris)

Started by BorisBoard Ships

Replies: 11
Views: 1192
Cunard better or worse

Started by cunardqueenBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 3
Views: 1233
Bought the cunard scale model from an antiquarian

Started by Piet NijsBoard QE2 Models and Paintings

Replies: 11
Views: 1009