Author Topic: Interesting Youtube channels  (Read 409 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Interesting Youtube channels
« on: Feb 06, 2022, 11:58 AM »
I've been getting absorbed in various shippy youtube channels the past few weeks as a distraction from the stresses of the daily grind.

This chap is a super yacht captain and does some interesting videos around the operation of his ship, and he clearly absolutely loves his job, which makes me very envious...   they recently relocated their Superyacht from the Med to the Caribbean on board a superyacht transporter, and he did a series of videos about how it works, and its fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/c/SuperYachtCaptain

And I also randomly found myself watching this chaps videos.  He seems to be a captain-for-hire and moves various ships around the Hudson river area.  In one of his videos he takes a fuel barge alongside a huge cruise ship at one of the New York piers, and the skill and co-ordination involved is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TimBatSea

I found myself also watching a Stephen Payne video about Titanic, which rekindled my interest in that ship after trying to avoid her for 20 years... the only problem now is my YouTube suggestions include hundreds of Titanic suggestions!  One interesting recent video was from Robert Ballard, the Oceanographer who found her originally.  He wants to paint Titanic with a coating to stop her rusting further, and he's furious at the later expeditions, including the commercial ones, that have been landing on the deck of Titanic and denting her badly.  His trips down used small ROVs that didn't do any damage at all.

Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
Re: Interesting Youtube channels
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2022, 11:39 PM »
I have been following SuperYachtCaptain too for a while now and the superyacht transporter videos were particularly interesting. I've picked up on things such as anchor alarms and anchoring procedures from him, and his more recent videos on shipping accidents are useful too for the job. The videos, including the vlogs showing what it's like day to day with no two days the same, make me even more eager to get out to sea and to get that OoW unlimited ticket if I needed anymore encouragement and inspiration!
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

interesting QE2 images from Japanese websites

Started by AvarielBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 4
Views: 2432
Last post Jul 09, 2009, 06:13 AM
by Malcolm
Interesting youtube on the Japanese Shipbuilding industry

Started by Greg RuddBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 0
Views: 933
Last post May 10, 2016, 06:05 AM
by Greg Rudd