Author Topic: Cunard's new ship: Queen Anne  (Read 12008 times)

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Cunard's new ship: Queen Anne
« Reply #45 on: Mar 09, 2022, 09:40 PM »
Note link not active:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/26971-cunard-reveals-queen-anne-s-design-and-first-public-areas.html

Quite an elaborate article, listing the various designers of the ship, and a couple of images too.

I somehow missed who is building it, is it Fincantieri again?
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2023, 09:47 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #46 on: Mar 09, 2022, 10:43 PM »
Fun thought, how about a slight alteration of the new ships name to 'Queen Anne's Revenge'?
Named for Blackbeard's ship.
Pirate themed cruises far and wide! :D :D
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2022, 09:55 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #47 on: Mar 10, 2022, 10:26 AM »
https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/26971-cunard-reveals-queen-anne-s-design-and-first-public-areas.html

Quite an elaborate article, listing the various designers of the ship, and a couple of images too.

I somehow missed who is building it, is it Fincantieri again?

Hi Isabelle,

Yes its Fincantieri - the ship is based on the Pinnacle class of vessels which I believe are in service with HAL which in turn to me look like they take their roots from the Vista ships on which QV & QE are based.
I think she looks top heavy above the bridge if I am honest and I am not taken with the name either but this is marketing in overdrive at Carnival no doubt!!
Of all the (soon to be) three Cunard cruise ships my favourite is QV - even after they ruined her aft end by adding those cabins!

Gav
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2022, 09:55 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #48 on: Mar 11, 2022, 10:09 AM »
This topic started off in the Cunard section of the forum because at that time it was Cunard news.  However now that we are getting details of the name, captain and design of the ship I have renamed the topic and moved to the QE2's successors section within The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA) board. and renamed Cunard's new ship: Queen Anne.

Looking forward to more discussions as and when we get more details about the ship. The interior design looks particularly interesting.  There is talk about a contemporary look but the designers are looking at the Liverpool archives for ideas on incorporating the Cunard image from previous ships.  This weeks's video featured a designer speaking about the atrium and the use of light, bright during the day and dimming as the day goes into the evening.  This was a feature of the original design of QE2.  I seem to remember we have discussed this before on the forum and if I find the post I will link to it. 

Note:  as there was some good information on female crew I have cut from this topic and moved to the female crew topic so that the information is not lost.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2022, 10:01 PM »
Today being the booking day for Queen Ann, already a couple of friends have been successful for The Maiden Voyage. Round trip with an overnight stay in Lisbon. I thought at first they were joking, But no that's her Maiden Voyage .
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2022, 10:10 PM »
Today being the booking day for Queen Ann, already a couple of friends have been successful for The Maiden Voyage. Round trip with an overnight stay in Lisbon. I thought at first they were joking, But no that's her Maiden Voyage .

What?  Just Southampton - Lisbon - Southampton?  Straight out and back, no "long way round" extra days at sea or anything like that?!
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2022, 11:12 PM »
Maiden voyages used to be such monumental occasions and a chance for everyone to celebrate, but it seems as if its another one of those things considered to be "old fashioned" and lost to time. What a pity.
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2022, 09:48 PM »
  What?  Just Southampton - Lisbon - Southampton?  Straight out and back, no "long way round" extra days at sea or anything like that?! 

Yip thats what l thought, it does seem pretty lame ,Given shes a new ship and it's a Maiden Voyage , isn't an overnighter a bit of a waste of time, like how many will trot ashore for dinner  . Two days to get there, overnight and two days back. No mention yet of any Four Queens Meeting .....
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Rod

Online Barumfox

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2022, 02:05 PM »
Looking at the deck plan details there are some interesting changes from QV/QE - the spa is forward on Deck 1 meaning that the theatre will be only two decks high not three. The library is a room on the port side between the Commodore Club and The (Kids?) Zone - not the grand two deck affair on the other two.

QA is 1058 foot long - compared to 964 for QV/QE but it is not clear if the hull width has been increased - it appears not from the deck plans which means she will have a length/breadth ration higher (ie be 'thinner') than most transatlantic liners of the past let alone cruise ships. Combine this with her increased height / weight forward section and this could be an interesting combination in heavy weather - this could be why the spa is much lower in the ship to reduce the weight on the higher decks.

This may be why they have not be as ambitious with her early schedule than with Qv/QE - no World Cruise / Winter North Atlantic crossing to New York out of the box - the weather experienced by the other two in 2008/2011 would be another reason. Her first excursion across the Atlantic is on the less challenging Caribbean route but a return trip from Bermuda to Southampton in just 6 days at that time of year seems problematical unless she has a hidden turn of speed as an average of over 23kts would be needed by my estimate   - unlikely that even QM2 would be asked to do that these days with fuel costs.

The extra length helps with providing for the 44% increase in cabins over QE but am not sure if it will provide sufficient space on the public decks - 2 and 3 - if the weather is inclement for the extra passengers.

It will be in interesting to see how QA meets these challenges!

Gary

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #55 on: Sep 05, 2022, 12:15 PM »
We were delighted to arrive on board QM2 at the same time as the Design Team for the new Cunarder, Queen Anne!

We have had a week of lectures, images and Q and A sessions regarding the new ship. Plans are well advanced and to learn that each of the the stairways had been allocated to a different University Arts Department for their contributions was extra good!
As well as Adam Tihany - in overall charge, Giancarlo Imiglia was there - he designed and painted the Friezes for outside the Lido on board QE2 as well as a couple of Murals on QM2's B Stairway deck 2.
Dr Stephen Payne gave 3 excellent lectures on Queen Mary 2 (Design), Titanic (dispelling the assumptions)  and, importantly too -  the possibility of a new ship to replace HMY Britannia.

MV Queen Anne will be different to the each /any of the older ships...with more "amazing" designs, particularly of the "Wellness Centre"!
Some of these are published in the new Cunarder too.

It was sad as well as very disappointing though to have no answer to the question "what might be recognisable as handed down to Queen Anne in the DNA of previous successful Cunard ships" I was thinking here od QE2 and the Queen Anne suite on board - a replica would have been extremely wise.
Early on I had heard a couple speaking of the 'hotels and shops... It soon became ship and vessels!
It was  good too, to meet the Cunard / Carnival (Southampton)  representatives.
« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2022, 12:30 PM by Twynkle »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #56 on: Sep 05, 2022, 02:57 PM »
I noticed from the deck plans in the latest brochure, that she seems to be another slightly tweaked Vista class ship, is that correct?  The line of vista ships seems to be going on forever... Shows it must be a sound cost effective choice.

Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #57 on: Oct 24, 2022, 10:51 AM »
Rob,

I think she is termed as a Pinnacle Class - another Holland America design of vessel - which as you say looks like a derivative of the Vista design.

I'm not a fan of the decks above the bridge - it makes her look very front and top heavy. Maybe the reality will look better than the artist impressions!

Gav

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #58 on: Nov 10, 2022, 09:45 AM »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #59 on: Dec 03, 2022, 01:08 PM »
Interesting video about Queen Anne's interior design.

Maybe the less said about the exterior, the better!