Author Topic: QE2's Final Voyage : Final call to Civitavecchia  (Read 1201 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
QE2's Final Voyage : Final call to Civitavecchia
« on: Nov 16, 2021, 10:15 AM »
I have an enormous library of webcam images from QE2's final years, and this morning the "on this day" feature of my library showed me QE2 arriving into Civitavecchia on-this-day in 2008.  There are a nice series of images showing daylight breaking over the bow, then the bow swinging around to her berth.  I decided to stitch these together into a sort of panorama which I've attached.

I wonder what the ship was she's docked next to... looks like it could be the Concordia, or one of her sisters.
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2021, 10:17 AM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Michael Gallagher

Re: QE2's Final Voyage : Final call to Civitavecchia
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2021, 05:44 PM »
Rob

You are correct - it was Costa Concordia.

These are the other cruise ships that had to honour to share the port with QE2 on her Final Voyage:

LISBON – Thursday 13 November

Ocean Monarch (Princess Danae)
   MSC Sinfonia

GIBRALTAR – Friday 14 November

Zenith
   Empress (in DryDock)

CIVITAVECCHIA – Sunday 16 November

Costa Concordia
   Brilliance of the Seas
   Norwegian Jade

NAPLES – Monday 17 November

Brilliance of the Seas
   Insignia

MALTA – Tuesday 18 November

MSC Opera (in DryDock)

ALEXANDRIA – Thursday 20 November

Azamara Quest

DUBAI – Thursday 27 November

Legend of the Seas

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2021, 06:12 PM »
Thank you Michael!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2021, 07:14 PM »
Brilliance of the Seas was docked directly aft of us on our final visit to Civitavecchia on QE2 on Friday 25th July 2008. We were docked furthest forward of all the ships on the breakwater (also including Ocean Village Two and Island Escape). Brilliance of the Seas and Ocean Village Two departed before us, sailing past within cheering and waving distance as my Dad's video footage captures. Sadly this bit of my Dad's footage isn't public as he also went way into the port in order to capture the hustle and bustle, and to look back at and capture the line of cruise ships we were at the head of!

A shipping friend of mine was working on Ocean Village Two at the time, having also worked on QE2 and other Cunard ships back then, and took a photo as they sailed past us. This was only something that came to light in the last couple of years, and where they were working on Ocean Village Two meant they were looking down on QE2 as they sailed past us!

Bleu De France (formerly one of the Europas - IV I think, and more recently Saga Sapphire before starting her new life as a Turkish cruise ship very recently) and Ocean Dream (originally Carnival's first newbuild Tropicale and scrapped at Alang earlier this year) were docked opposite us within the port proper.

I have attached some of my photos of the above mentioned departures, and of Bleu De France and Ocean Dream at their berths.
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2021, 11:28 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

QE2s Captain Chair for sale...

Started by cunardqueenBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 1468
Last post Sep 24, 2016, 10:45 PM
by Pete Hamill
Were QE2s propellers the most powerful in the world?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Technical Matters

Replies: 8
Views: 2720
Last post Oct 13, 2018, 10:57 AM
by Rob Lightbody