Author Topic: Float Dubai  (Read 1268 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Float Dubai
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2021, 03:51 PM »
Very limited information on the press releases as to what this means for the whole ship. The night club will be situation on the highest deck with a lounge on a lower deck.  I am trying to imagine where this will be and what it will mean for the ship as a whole. 

Does this mean that the ship will no longer operate as a hotel?  I cannot imagine anyone wanting to stay on the ship when there is loud music playing into the early hours of the morning. 

Does anyone have any more information?
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2021, 08:04 PM »
As far as I can tell this outdoor nightclub will be at Sun Deck aft, just behind the funnel and where the Funnel Bar was. This deck area was used for filming in the recent drama and various bits of equipment and screening have remained in place as if they're reusing/repurposing it. Some of the lifts have been extended up to Sun and Signal Decks apparently which would make sense for something like this (besides the former engineers cabins on Sun Deck midships being converted into more rooms for the hotel and needing better access).

My guess is the lounge in question may be created out of some of the old Boat Deck shops (not all used in Dubai) aft of the Grand Lounge as I can't think of anywhere else suitable with the space unless they are referring to using the Yacht Club in conjunction with this new nightclub.

QE2 will continue to operate as a hotel and this is just another way of her trying to earn her keep. I can imagine this nightclub setup will be very similar to her 2011 New Years event that was also held on Sun Deck aft, just behind the funnel, with this area being reasonably isolated from the rest of the ship. Having said this she now has hotel rooms in former crew cabins that are nearer to Sun Deck aft so it will be interesting to see how that works out.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2021, 08:55 PM »
Thanks Thomas - it is possible that the shop area could be used for a lounge, just need to wait for more information to be released. 

When I visited the Hotel Queen Elizabeth 2 in 2019 I had booked for the show, which was excellent.  There were a lot of people coming onto the ship for the show and drinks in the bar, so there could be a lot of interest in the nightclub. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2021, 01:44 AM »
QE2 will continue to operate as a hotel and this is just another way of her trying to earn her keep 
A nightclub with free entry...Hmmm

Some of the Vegas hotels have these nightclubs with fancy DJs and bottle service. To be fair, late at night when your passing  you see the punters lined up ready to shell out some big bucks for the"named"  DJs . The nightclub can literally be 30 ft away and you wont hear a thing, which surprised me . Tickets to such a thing can be free or $30 upto $2000 and more . Then you have the drinks on top, and while some of us older ones who remember a DJ spinning some actual records and having a  G&T  , The new generation are required to order a bottle for every 6 guests, and a bottle can be anything from $200 plus the mixers. Of course, each venue has its own set of complex rules. Walk past the same locations at breakfast and you would never know such a place existed.

It might be interesting to see exactly how they operate this nightclub. 
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2021, 10:12 AM »
Doors will open on the 14th of October 2021

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2021, 10:23 AM »
Here is the latest Google Earth capture of Float Dubai
Look like the Sun Deck is one area now (the bit that used to divide the area is gone)
A new staircase has been build from Boat Deck to Sun Deck. The Lounge they mention one deck below is the deck aft of the shops.
Shops stay as in.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2021, 11:13 AM »
Thanks Louis, hope we get more photos before the opening and reviews once the nightclub is in operation.

Trying to visualise the deck as we knew it I am attaching this photos from the Gallery album

www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2021, 11:30 AM »
I noticed on "What on AE" that Float Dubai will have  a new entrance, which is being built to bring guests onto QE2 in style:

Float Dubai is located 15 minutes from The Dubai Mall, and will have complimentary valet parking. To ensure easy access to the venue, a new entrance is being built to bring guests onto the QE2 in style.

www.qe2event.com

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #9 on: Oct 06, 2021, 01:32 PM »
Location of Float Dubai
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2021, 01:34 PM by Michael Gallagher »

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #10 on: Oct 06, 2021, 05:07 PM »
My photos of Sun Deck aft and Boat Deck aft from during my visit in late January 2020.

Sun Deck aft was a building site at the time, but I spent quite a bit of time at Boat Deck aft at what was the Sports Deck in her latter years and I did some of my bit of filming for the documentary here too.

Some parts of the old Sports Deck area still remained such as the places for the shuffleboard poles (not sure of their actual names) and the back part of the basketball hoop. I wonder if these bits will remain in the area's new role.

I am interested to see what "Float Dubai" looks like in operation and how successful it is given that the forward cargo hold nightclub venture has gone quiet, although that might be because of COVID and it being a tightly packed, enclosed space in operation. I wonder if this prompted a switch to this "Float Dubai" venture as an alternative?
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2021, 05:11 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #11 on: Oct 08, 2021, 01:52 AM »
What are the evenly spaced squares which look welded in the second picture from the bottom ?
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #12 on: Oct 08, 2021, 10:16 PM »
What are the evenly spaced squares which look welded in the second picture from the bottom ?

They look like mounting points for something bolted on underneath - the floor structure maybe; was this space originally under a wooden deck?  In which case they've probably always been there but only ever seen during refits...?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #13 on: Oct 09, 2021, 01:10 AM »
They look like mounting points for something bolted on underneath - the floor structure maybe; was this space originally under a wooden deck?  In which case they've probably always been there but only ever seen during refits...?

I think these are the base plates squares for the pins that used to secure the teak deck in place along with the caulking between each plank.

Photos from the "bit beneath the bridge" and from her bridge wings a few years ago show these areas looking like this but with the pins sticking up from the middle of the base plate squares.

These pins have since been ground/cut off on Sun Deck aft (as per my photos above), on Boat Deck, and at the "bit beneath the bridge" and the red smooth deck surface put down over the top on Boat Deck and at the "bit beneath the bridge". New wood (not necessarily Teak due to Teak not coping with intense Sun very well in the long term) has been put down on her bridge wings since too, likely using the same securing pins.
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2021, 01:16 AM by Thomas Hypher »

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #14 on: Oct 09, 2021, 01:36 AM »
Certainly some interesting developments!
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Can a ship float upside down / turned turtle?

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 5
Views: 1002
Last post Mar 27, 2022, 09:47 AM
by Trevor Harris