Author Topic: Final transatlantic menus (and choices)  (Read 1957 times)

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Final transatlantic menu choices
« Reply #15 on: Sep 03, 2021, 06:07 PM »
And here are today's menus (18 October 2008) :

Enjoy the French dinner!

« Reply #16 on: Sep 03, 2021, 06:11 PM »
My choice will be :

-- the French onion soup
-- the grilled seabass
-- the crêpes Suzette (yumm!)

and the lovely after dinner treats with an espresso.

« Reply #17 on: Sep 03, 2021, 06:14 PM »
The "printers" will not be working tomorrow, so here already is the menu for tomorrow (19 October 2008). You will have a bit more time to make a choice :) .

Offline Rod

« Reply #18 on: Sep 04, 2021, 02:20 PM »
As a nearly 20 year crew member, I can complain about many things, but the quality of meat was incredible. All the kinds of meat and fish.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #19 on: Sep 04, 2021, 06:05 PM »
Excellent to be back at our Chief Engineer's dinner table enjoying the chat and excellent wine  :)

Starter: Pea Soup
Main: Special vegetarian stir fry with tofu, but the orange roughy sounds rather nice
Dessert: Granola Pavlova with vanilla ice cream and passion sauce

A glass of the red wine that Rod has ordered for the table.

Coffee and sweet treats
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

« Reply #20 on: Sep 05, 2021, 08:17 PM »
I also ordered...

-- the pea soup
-- the orange roughy
-- the granola Pavlova

Thank you, Rod, for the red wine -- you always make a good choice!

The sweet treats with coffee and the lingering conversation was just right. QE2 creates such great companionships!

« Reply #21 on: Sep 05, 2021, 08:19 PM »
The printers actually seems to have lost a menu! 20 October is not to be found...

Here is 21 October 2008 :

Enjoy some British fine dining!
« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2021, 08:39 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

« Reply #22 on: Sep 05, 2021, 08:43 PM »
I'll go for the pan seared brook trout and the Hot Golden Syrup pudding.

Never had any Golden Syrup pudding at any temperature. Looking forward to giving it a try!

As a starter, I requested a salad containing both avocados and bananas -- the other ingredients left to the creators. Olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing, with a hint of mustard please.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #23 on: Sep 06, 2021, 12:41 AM »
Here is 21 October 2008 : 
My last Dinner on QE2
The beautiful Menus had greeted us each night as they were upright on the tables , But tonight they punched us in the face and for all the times we had listened to that awful screeching of Time to say Goodbye,tonight was the night l was saying Goodbye . I hadn't really imagined it would be over a curry and a foaming dessert, Naturally our table had agreed we would push the boat out and have from all the choices on the menu

Our table the Chief Engineers had been mine for both crossings, Our final guests were two easyjet cabin crew , Margaret a lady l was travelling with, met her onboard in 1988, she suffered terrily with MS and over the years we met up and l stayed over with her in Guildford the night before our cruises and drove down to QE2 . Her daughter was never sure of what exactly the set up was, untill Margaret explained we were Travelling Companions, l added in jest different cabins and different decks, which l dont think did anything to help the situation. But we all got on very well.
  A well built guy who was doing the trip to Dubai and really enjoyed his food and another older guy, l cant even recall what he did, Our waiters were there to guide us and l was guided to where the host would normally sit, and as a matter of personal choice l was taking care of the wine, it was the least l could do, and indeed proposed a toast to our dear old QE2  and reminding the table of dear Erma Klindt , she had sailed out westbound on our table, as we chinked glasses and went again once more round the table with feeling

It was a funny old dinner and at times l really struggled with the emotions of it all and that my memories of 22 years were reminding me just what a great time l had enjoyed onboard . Margaret and l went for a final final nightcap and toasted QE2 in style with decent champagne and reminisced about our memories and from that cruise in October 1988, where our friendship started, and l took her back to her cabin to close her suitcase up and get her bags out of the cabin , l always hated the last night of any cruise for the reason of packing the cases, but ld been more prepared this trip and only had one suitcase left to throw things into, the rest were all packed before l went out for a walk .

It was quite eerie walking round QE2 late at night with hardly anybody there, Cabin 4028 where my adventures started upto the giddy heights of one deck which was the highest deck l ever occupied, l didn't venture to the Penhouses where l  have fun memories of a Preist, he later ended up being exposed by The Sun ,But thats one of those stories that really shouldn't be written anywhere  l saw all my old cabin doors l took time to walk through  the lounges and public rooms and staircases and in my mind the memories of some of the great times on board were flooding back and out on deck for a final turn as was usually my custom to take some air realise just how close we were to docking and thinking l really need a couple of hours

I had already had to change my hire car reservation owing to the sheer volume of luggage and ended up a White Van man with a fort Transit, which l already knew l would have to drive to London and all the trouble that entails but l would cross that bridge later
But that was my last Dinner on QE2         
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #24 on: Sep 06, 2021, 09:29 AM »
I have requested melon as a starter and when I saw that Myles had a curry, I requested a vegetarian curry with Naan bread, which was delicious.  Syrup pudding with vanilla ice cream for dessert and coffee.

Enjoying the chat and choice of excellent wine this evening and thanks to Myles for inviting us to join him for Champagne in the bar after dinner to toast QE2 on her final transatlantic crossing. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #25 on: Sep 06, 2021, 02:51 PM »
18 October -

The menu cover is fabulous !

I had -

French Onion Soup
Grilled Seabass
Crepes Suzettes

19 October -

Cream of Fresh Garden Peas
Pan Fried Fillet of New Zealand Orange Roughy
Granola Pavlova

The wine was delicious, the Espresso robust, and the conversation delightful !  :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #26 on: Sep 06, 2021, 04:33 PM »
The 19th October menu in situ.
The eagle eyed will notice the host marker, a little thing i have been blessed with many times over the years, from the Staff Captain as host in 1987 on the trip over to New York to The Captains Table in 2006 and it started with John Duffy in 1988. ironically we would be at the same table exactly 20 years later, he checked his diary after l had mentioned the little bit of info

Having worked now in hospitality for over 20 years l still marvel at a table setting how its set, whats around and about , the butter dishes with a lump of ice to keep them from melting, a butter pat can melt very quickly, l wonder if these were bought in or did some poor sod have to make them.  Its also irksome when your sitting down and things that you notice are not quite right be it a badly polished wine glass with remains of lipstick or blemishes on the cutlery or a tide mark on the cup or chipped cruet sets or a water glass that has passed its use and is cloudy with scratches and the almighty no no having a plate with a logo placed before you and the logo is not sitting at 12 but rather 10 or 1.30 Not that any of the above happened on QE2, but do we remain quiet or make a comment and be thought of a moaning old git on table 4.

Good old BA l had the great pleasure to have the pre flight First dining in the lounge at Chicago a few years ago. The atmosphere was very relaxed the server must have ironed his shirt over some rocks , the lounge hosts to be fair l knew and felt l could joke with them about the relaxed service afterwards, but for starters my table wobbled, l glanced my eye over the settings in the very small dining area only 16 settings. my second table was clearly set in a hurry To be fair l had been bantering with the server so l felt l could give my views of the relaxed service in a fun way, The soup was minus a bread roll and no butter the champagne lovely as it was bubbled over the glass for the refill ( a chilled glass would have been so much nicer) The Food presentation was as expected, great. Im not outwardly a fussy person but you can comment constructively without being a knobend , l do wish more people would try it but if your paying £4k for a First Class Flight then some people want you to know that . I was paying a lot less , but again its the standard of service you expect when flying First.
 Onboard it was the typical BA experience with crew who knew what they were doing and were able to suss out the regular from the novice. there were after all only Five in First, the other Diner was having dinner now and going right to bed, he was connecting onto a long haul to Hong Kong so as he said he needed his sleep, his breakfast was simply orange juice and toast ,  But the serving of dinner as the table was laid in front of you, the napkin business was very interesting to observe as was the 4.20 setting for the start of my First Breakfast

A complete difference to that of the Concorde room, the holy grail for some , the onboard CSM who was up for the banter imparted some tips one of which was for the only time travelling First we ask you to turn right is after security,  there's a door on the right with a member of staff there and  podium, its called The Million Pound Door, why Because BA pays Heathrow a million pounds to have that door there ,somethingto do with the fact its to make up for the loss of revenue from the shops that passengers would have spent their money in en route to the lounge.  it affords those in First rather than having to trudge through T5 you can show your boarding pass and the door magically opens and your first dilemma is to accept the LPGS or not. Personally, l found it to be on the stuffy side with in the main a load of DYKWIA passengers , l had greater enjoyment interacting with the staff and when they know you on their side so to speak it does lower the barrier, but also its where i had my worst burger . l wished I had now made use of the Concorde dining room , but where i had the burger afforded me a great runway view and it was a very quiet area for a Sunday Morning, and again the tea came out at the 4.20 setting.
 The other place that was a let down was Gleneagles in terms of the table settings, imagine a chipped salt pot and the blue water glass that was so cloudy with use it was positively dull, l could go on about the water on the table or the fact the staff member had no idea of the menu prices or cutlery on the floor but l won't.
 Before Covid there was nothing nicer than seeing a  table well set with everything in its place, l fear the good old days have put paid to that. 

« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2021, 09:17 PM by cunardqueen »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

« Reply #27 on: Sep 06, 2021, 07:25 PM »
Thank you, Myles, for both your stories. Particularly that about your last dinner on board QE2, what a wrench that must have been, after all those years!

I also agree with you about all that makes for a good table setting, and what is expected but not always fulfilled.

We had very few such disappointing experiences on QE2, if any... with one exception. That was when the waiter handed our mother her dinner plate across my sister... a no-no! Our mother later regretted that she did not simply drop it...

I have been watching out for this gesture since then and found that it looks so professional, so polite, so elegant, when the waiter, having presented a first plate to one diner, then walks around the table to present the second plate to the companion.

I have a little bit of experience with table settings and how to present and clear away plates -- but I never learnt to carry them effortlessly on my arm! It makes a huge difference to have a beautifully set table, even at home, with a proper tablecloth and linen napkins. An effort worth making, once or twice a year for a special occasion -- it brightens up everyone's mood.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #28 on: Sep 07, 2021, 02:31 AM »
21 October -

Cock-a-Leekie Soup
Pan Seared Brook Trout
Hot Golden Syrup Pudding

Espresso and some of Maurice's peppermint chocolates  :)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #29 on: Sep 07, 2021, 08:20 PM »
We will be dining in The Lido for a couple of days.  :)

QE2 Final Westbound

Started by Vero 45Board Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 34
Views: 14367
Last post Oct 12, 2015, 05:41 PM
by cunardqueen
My final trip

Started by RodBoard Officers, Crew & Worker memories

Replies: 3
Views: 1882
Last post Aug 19, 2011, 07:17 AM
by Isabelle Prondzynski