Author Topic: QE2 and the Olympic Games  (Read 669 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
QE2 and the Olympic Games
« on: Jul 23, 2021, 11:07 AM »
Cunard did investigate whether QE2 could be used as an accommodation ship in Sydney during the 2000 Olympics but decided that it did not make commercial sense to do so with  the time in Sydney and the time for the two re-positioning voyages taking too much time from the Atlantic season.

I found this post from Michael, while looking for postings that linked QE2 to the Olympics, but I can't really find anything solid, but there must have been things going on on board at the times of the olympics?  At the very least, people must have watched some of the events on board where possible?  Anyone got any memories?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
Re: QE2 and the Olympic Games
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2021, 11:42 AM »
Rob, a quick Google shows that the 2008 Beijing Olympics were on during your August 2008 trip - maybe the Golden Lion broadcast parts of that Olympics instead of the usual football during your trip?
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2021, 11:40 PM »
Although not the QE2, Cunard did have ships involved in both the Barcelona (Cunard Countess?) & Sydney (RVS) Olympics. RVS was, I think, alongside in Darling Harbour and was regularly 'in shot' during some of the sailing events held in the harbour area. Also, of course, QM2 was chartered by ATHOC( Athens Olympic Committee) for the 2004 games and as such was classified as an Olympic Venue, falling in need the laws governing such venues. My wife still has her 'Official'  2004 Olympic volunteer/helper/ officials Polo shirt,  I managed to ' liberate' two from one of our liaison people, the other was framed and - hopefully still - hangs in the crew mess onboard QM2 I also acquired one of the banners, about 10m X 3m with the Athens Olympic logos on, from the security fences that surrounded QM2 while we were in Piraeus, what I'll ever do with it is another matter!

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2021, 05:51 PM »
On completion of the 'Willand tennis Club Wednesday morning ladies open tennis tournament' the aforementioned shirt was washed and, as a result, was fit to be photographed.

To add to my wife's nautical flavoured tennis garb, in damp weather, she also wears a Vistafjord, 'Deck Department' baseball cap, much to the amusement of the other ladies!

The chess set - and other games on deck!

Started by TwynkleBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 14
Views: 4026
Last post Nov 10, 2019, 03:08 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Cruise ships as Olympic accommodation in Tokyo 2020?

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 12
Views: 2483
Last post Jul 23, 2021, 11:03 AM
by Rob Lightbody
SS Nomadic built as a tender to the RMS Olympic and RMS Titanic

Started by richc1977Board Ships

Replies: 3
Views: 2169
Last post Mar 19, 2012, 12:06 AM
by luzparis
RMS Olympic