Author Topic: For those of you who are missing your trips to Southampton to board a big ship.  (Read 1370 times)

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
I've been finding the Solent Ships Youtube account rather enjoyable as a background thing, from here in land-locked suburbia.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAupQASEG4kt6oXHe0Xwd9Q

They make a point of doing special broadcasts when a cruise ship is leaving which can be fun.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
Likewise! Some of their videos popped up in my recommended and I've watched some of the livestreams since. The (4K) quality is excellent too. How I wish consumer level drones, and livestreaming were a thing 13 + years ago for you know who!
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
I enjoyed watching big Mary depart a bit earlier, including hearing her mighty whistle, it was a lovely treat.  She's looking very rusty in places though.
Virtuosa came out next and it just highlighted now Mary is looking better and better with age.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
I enjoyed watching big Mary depart a bit earlier, including hearing her mighty whistle, it was a lovely treat.  She's looking very rusty in places though.
Virtuosa came out next and it just highlighted now Mary is looking better and better with age.

I would debate with Solent Ships that the distinction between QM2 and the cruise ships isn't just semantics though and it is something to talk about and is a shame to overlook! I did comment on a previous QM2 departure video, linking to Chris Frame's video on the differences, as he was wondering what the differences were at the time. Maybe I'm too pedantic and passionate regarding ocean liners though. Most of the livestream audience and Solent Ships seem to be quite new shipping fans and specifically cruise ship fans, and particularly cruise ship fans of the latest block of flats to be rolled off the production lines to the point of sometimes doing down the older cruise ships for lack of one thing or another or being too small compared to the latest massive floating resorts (it reminds me of our consumer culture in always having to have the next best, new and flashy thing instead of what one already has that is perfectly good)… There have been many comments about how "beautiful" Iona and Virtuosa are on these livestreams and on Facebook :o ::) . I have to keep telling myself that times change and frames of reference change, otherwise I'd go mad! Anyway rant over!!!

Regarding QM2 it was unusual to see her sailing with several of her lifeboats and tenders on her port side missing. They're not strictly needed currently and I suspect it's as good a time as any for them to be serviced on land. I am surprised, however, that they're not doing this as part of the refit she is apparently imminently due to have before resuming service in November.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 10:00 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
Sadly "Solent Ships" were told to remove their webcams by Associated British Ports (ABP) following an investigation. They have since migrated to another YouTube Channel called "Ahoy Shipmate" which has a live webcam from Netley, further down Southampton Water, that also has a good view of arriving and departing ships as well as the wonderful sunsets we get here in Southampton!

Solent Ship's video explaining their situation:

And the Netley live webcam on their new channel "Ahoy Shipmate" (best viewed on YouTube proper and not in this embedded player):

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Talk about coincidences.

I just read this post, clicked on it to see the new live stream, and there's Big Mary smoking past the camera!

What are the chances??

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
Just watched her sail from City Cruise Terminal from the vantage point of Mayflower Park.

Got deafened by her two foredeck mounted foghorns (one on each faux crane post these days) and her signal mast horn as she was directly bow on to me and the ground was shaking underfoot! My DSLR's built in microphone understandably had it's brains blown out too, completely missing the low frequencies in my video footage.

QM2 is definitely worth turning out for despite nursing the second cold/flu in as many months (not COVID as I have been testing).

It was interesting to see what looks like a large whiteboard sized electronic chart display (probably part of the ECDIS system she has) at the back of her bridge on the extreme starboard side of the main/central section most likely used to brief the bridge team on departures and arrivals from what I've seen happen on cruise ships.

Here are some of my photos:
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2021, 10:23 PM by Thomas Hypher »

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Great photos Thomas, lucky you getting to see her so close!

Am i the only one who thinks the downlighters along her side look odd?