Author Topic: 2003 World Cruise “Leave At Home” Directory  (Read 71 times)

Offline Chris Frame

2003 World Cruise “Leave At Home” Directory
« on: Apr 02, 2021, 08:22 AM »
Came across this little leaflet from 2003.
Internet still wasn’t as much of our lives in 2003 so they still had these little leave at home guides for family who weren’t cruising.

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: 2003 World Cruise “Leave At Home” Directory
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2021, 09:54 AM »
Thanks for posting Chris, I wonder why the leaflet was to be left at home?
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2021, 10:02 AM »
I wonder why the leaflet was to be left at home?
That's bizarre.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2021, 12:09 PM »
Thanks for posting Chris, I wonder why the leaflet was to be left at home?

For Family and Friends to keep track of their relative's/friend's world cruise if they didn't have the brochure perhaps - but perhaps more specifically how to maintain direct contact with the ship if they so wished to (like the very expensive ship to shore, and vice versa, calls that were possible from the cabin phone). I can't remember the exact charge for those sorts of calls but I remember it was obscene which is not surprising for satellite calls!

Onboard internet speeds in 2003 and in fact up to 2008 on QE2 were not great for email so I recall - chewing into one's allocation of internet time to the point one could've almost made a cup of tea while waiting for a web page to load or an email to send  ;) , and the same happened even on QM2 nearly a decade ago (when I was doing school/college work in her library). I gather the shipboard internet setup on QM2 has improved dramatically since as it has across the industry! Maybe some people with money to burn, such as those on the world cruise, preferred the satellite calls over the slow internet!
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2021, 12:15 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2021, 09:28 PM »
Came across this little leaflet from 2003.
Internet still wasn’t as much of our lives in 2003 so they still had these little leave-at-home guides for family who weren’t cruising.   

A marvelous bit of information, albeit a bit impractical if sending stuff via mail to overseas ports. They also told you how to address items of mail. l always left the information at home prior to any cruise , incase for whatever reason you had to be contacted urgently.

Ever since my very first cruise back in 1986 l had family send Bon Voyage cards to the ship, l was also forever sending Bon Voyage cards and small gifts to various friends (and sometimes crew) but this was usually for when QE2 was in Southampton , If im honest l rarely sent them via Cunard and their Southampton address, mainly for the fact that if the mail was late in getting there it could end up at the Head Office on a weekend and there would be no one there to take it to the ship, so l simply ensured it was addressed to the persons name , Passenger  on QE2 , sailing date and Southampton.  Knowing how good the staff are in Royal Mail, l always had complete faith it would be delivered to the ship in time. It always was . It was always a nice touch l thought to open the cabin door and find a Bon Voyage envelope there. Once a friend simply wrote on the Envelope Myles Devin, QE2, Southampton and it was delivered. (being a postman at the time , there was to my mind simply no reason whatsoever why it would not be delivered

The local Port Agent when l lived in Orkney and worked for the post office l would quite often see items of mail (usually cards) addressed to them via the port agent. Of course if there was no agents address marked then they were delivered to the Harbourmasters office and would be taken aboard pretty soon after arriving.    On a ship visit day the port agent would call at the sorting office to collect their general mail and any mail for the ship. The agent then came back with the Paquebot mail (Posted onboard) In the old days we applied the rubber  Paquebot stamp ,  This allowed mail with foreign stamps to be accepted into the system and processed as regular mail. Southampton Post Office at one stage would have a special all in one date stamp for ships postings.
The Pursers Office if you asked them, had a posted onboard QE2 rubber stamp for passengers to rubber stamp their own postcards, there were various designs of rubber stamps over the years .

Sometimes the leaflet would include the various Telex and fax numbers to contact QE2 , and in later years the email address. The emails at one stage were sent to the onboard business center, where they would print it off, staple it closed and then have it delivered to the cabin, You could also email Cunard and ask them to forward it.

I only ever received a handful of calls at sea , a satelite call was always very clear and expensive , indeed friends once called QE2 at sea, l wasn't expecting their call , and as there was no answer a typed note from the Radio Room was under my door saying who had called and what the message was .
Sadly Mobile phones and Facebook have put paid to the old fashioned practice of sending snail mail cards, and now that there is no QE2 sailing l haven't sent a Bon Voyage card since.               
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2021, 09:53 PM »
Thank you Myles! These are fascinating bits of information.

We never got a "Leave at Home" Directory, but maybe that was because we never did a complete World Cruise.

WaveyDavey, QE2 Engineering Officer, 2003-2008

Started by waveydaveyBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 4
Views: 1980
Last post Jul 04, 2010, 10:23 PM
by SaraSteiner
Captain I McNaught (17 April 2003)

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Captains of the QE2

Replies: 0
Views: 2491
Last post Aug 18, 2013, 11:25 AM
by Lynda Bradford
William Neugebauer, QE2 Printer/Chief Printer 1996-2003

Started by williamneugebauerBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 18
Views: 5507
Last post Feb 12, 2018, 01:28 AM
by cunardqueen
First QE2 trip (11th to the 17th August 2003)

Started by Thomas HypherBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 33
Views: 1813
Last post Jun 25, 2018, 07:41 PM
by Lynda Bradford
March 2003 : QE2 & Concorde - The last article about their tandem operation?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard The 2000s

Replies: 1
Views: 1096
Last post Jun 18, 2013, 12:33 AM
by Chris Frame