Author Topic: Rich Drayson, QE2 Engineer, 1984-1988  (Read 5268 times)

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • Engineering Department 1984-1988
Rich Drayson, QE2 Engineer, 1984-1988
« on: Aug 27, 2009, 11:38 PM »
Hi, my name is Rich Drayson and I worked onboard QE2 from 1984 - 1988. Joined the ship in Cherbourg after flying from Bournemouth Airport. Initially was in the Hotel dept as Asst Steward (No Mans Land) then joined the Night Gang (remember the red boiler suits?). Myself and another Night Gang member changed departments (only crew members ever to do so I believe) and we both joined the Engineering Dept as Asst Mechanics. The work was usually hot and sweaty but I loved it... real mans work!
I eventually worked my way from there to being a Night Gang member within the Engineering Dept and also covered the job of 'Donkeyman' during crew leave. From there I ended up as a mechanic on both day work and shifts in the machinery spaces and thoroughly enjoyed that too. Did my spell over in Bremerhaven for the big refit and rejoined the 'new' QE2 after her sea trials. My last few weeks were not so good however. I was 'volunteered' to work in the Safety Control Room (SCR) and absolutely hated it. I didn't want to leave the ship but being put in this position forced my hand so to speak and it was with great sorrow that I had to say 'goodbye' to the ship that had been my home for 4 years. Happy memories though. Yes... the work WAS hard at times but still the best job I ever had.
Any other Engineering Dept members from the 1980s on here? I'd love to swap memories.

Rich Drayson, Charlwood, Surrey.
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2014, 07:30 PM by Alan Snelson »
Rich Drayson. Ex Snr Mechanic QE2 1984-1988.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Hello from Engineering Dept member
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2009, 12:03 AM »
Welcome, Rich (and your beard?)! Sounds like you have wonderful memories of our favourite lady.

Not an engineer, I'm ever more sorry to say, but ready to listen and enjoy your stories any day. I am sure you'll find plenty to enjoy here, and I am sure too that there'll be many of us who'll have questions for you. Make yourself at home and read your way round what we've been up to  :)

As someone who never managed to get into the Engine Room (even though I once made my home in the cabin right next to the entrance), it will be a huge pleasure for me to hear about your adventures around the ship.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2009, 12:05 AM »
Hello and welcome Rich!

Don't suppose you remember my Dad do you?  (David Lightbody) (nobody seems to).  He worked for John Browns but would fly out to the ship to help investigate turbine troubles.  This would only apply up until the big refit when he had nothing more to do with it.

Look forward to hearing some more of your memories!

- Rob.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Andy F

« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2009, 12:11 AM »
Welcome Rich and great to have you join us here.  Please do venture into the area dedicated to Crew & Worker Memories and feel free to post a message there also seeking former shipmates.

Andy
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2009, 07:14 AM »
Thanks for your kind welcome. I look forward to sharing many memories and hope to be able to contribute to this great forum.
Rob, yes... I remember the name 'Lightbody' but cannot remember any more than that I'm afraid. I can remember most of the names of the ships engineers though. Your Dad would have known John Tomlins, Dave Roberts, Robin Rodger and Richard? Kenworthy. Do these names mean anything to you?

Rich.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2009, 12:48 PM »

Hi and welcome onboard.Its nice to have another crew member join in.

Louis

Offline SaraSteiner

« Reply #6 on: Jul 14, 2010, 04:56 PM »
Rich. Was there a chap called Dave ????? working as deputy chief engineer in the early 80's. For the life of me I can't remember his surname. He would have been in his 30's. Smallish, has a beard and wore glasses.
Sara Steiner
Sallie AKA Sara

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
« Reply #7 on: Jul 14, 2010, 10:11 PM »
Sara, the only person I can think of would be Dave Roberts but I don't think he wore glasses.

Offline SaraSteiner

« Reply #8 on: Jul 15, 2010, 03:12 PM »
No Rich That wasn't him. One of these days his surname will suddenly pop back inti this old brain of mine :-)
Sallie AKA Sara

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Rich Drayson, QE2 Engineer, 1984-1988
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2014, 05:24 PM »
Hi Rich!

Good to have you back after one year... how have you been? I hope you are well and that the new year has begun well for you.

Lots has been happening here, and you will find quite a number of former crew members who have joined us in the Forum. Enjoy the reunion!