Author Topic: Would you go on a post-pandemic megacruise?  (Read 152 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Would you go on a post-pandemic megacruise?
« on: Feb 22, 2021, 11:21 AM »
I was just reading in the Sunday Times, that there is a new phenomenon of people deciding that life is too short, too much time has been wasted, and booking "megacruises" costing up to 6 figures.   It must be nice to have those sort of options to consider, but are you considering a more significant cruise than you would have done, if you've missed a few during lockdown?  There must be some people like this I'm sure.  I can understand the mentality behind it, I certainly feel like "letting rip" when I'm able to do so.

But what a huge challenge for the cruise lines -currently unable to earn a coin, losing money at a lick, but with the prospect of an explosive restart when it comes, but saddled with high debt levels.

I can't see prices coming down, thats for sure... quite the opposite.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Rod

Re: Would you go on a post-pandemic megacruise?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2021, 02:36 PM »
Deb and I have discussed our cruising future. It will certainly will not be a mega cruise because of money and time. Even a short cruise for me is out of the question because of health concerns. But as mentioned by Rob, my brother in law, who runs a small travel agency, tells us that he is seeing a HUGE (compared to 2 years ago)  amount of inquiries from people looking for, not mega, but longer cruises ie 2-6 weeks. Ages cover the whole gamut of 18-80's. Quite a few people are letting slip that they are going to pay for them from their gubmint handouts from the virus. Another $1400 should be coming in a few weeks! He is also getting a few inquiries from family, work groups etc. Ex Cunard staff are planning  on a cruise from , I think Newcastle?, in 2022. Think the amount of reservations (with deposit) is up to about 250 or more!!!

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2021, 05:09 PM »
Oh, thank you for the warning! I shall be glad to stay away... :).

I do sometimes think about what I would / shall do when it becomes safe to do so. My first priority would be to catch up with family and friends in their various countries. After that? Perhaps to expand on what we did when the lockdown eased for a while last year, exploring the more immediate environment -- but now expanding outwards. I think so many people enjoyed exploring their area, their towns, and even their own country -- I would be tempted to do some more exploring of that kind.

Offline Rod

« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2021, 10:50 PM »
Off topic. Just up the road from us, 7 miles is Lake Louisa State Park. We rent a cabin there for a couple of days and just chill! Monopoly, poker UNO wine and beer. My daughter and her boyfriend join us. Cabin is very roomy, will sleep 6, comfortable and well equipped. NO TV!!! Internet is sketchy.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2021, 10:57 PM »
A megacruise wouldn't appeal to me really; chews up too much time and money.

However...

...I'd certainly be interested in a high speed Transatlantic dash.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2021, 11:03 PM »
Quote from: Peter Mugridge

I think it's the opposite... The QM2 crossing advertised in the same Sunday times shows an 8 day crossing both ways
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2021, 11:06 PM »
I think it's the opposite... The QM2 crossing advertised in the same Sunday times shows an 8 day crossing both ways

Yes.... that's why I said I'd be interested in looking at a high speed dash... as opposed to the current offerings!  ;)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2021, 09:36 AM »

A380 for you?

Online Barumfox

« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2021, 03:18 PM »
I have seen reported that a 180 day world cruise offered by Oceania - for 2023 -  sold out very quickly although this is a relatively small ship.

For a period of time even if it is possible to go on a cruise the issue of which countries are going to accept cruise ship visits is going to be a problem and even more so for such ambitious itineraries. We have seen the return of cruises to nowhere out of Singapore because of this and this may spread to other parts of the world.

An alternative may be cruises restricted to ports in one country - e.g. round UK  and the rise of scenic ocean (coastal) cruising with no or very few chances of going ashore  as well as more expedition style cruising to remote locations .

in such a situation small ships would have the advantage of being able to access more areas whilst the self-propelled holiday resorts would be able to offer a larger number of onboard distractions that might make more sea time palatable for some. People will hopefully still have a wide choice of ships and itineraries.

Once / if  a return to more normal cruising is possible the pent up demand from those able to afford long voyages will probably increase prices. One long, small capacity, cruise run annually i expressed an interest in recently has already sold out for 2022 & 2023 - partly due to transfers of 2021 bookings following that years cancellation.

As far as i am concerned any time afloat is better than most days ashore and I enjoy longer trips as far as money / time allows.

Gary

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2021, 09:28 PM »
A380 for you?

Aviation wise, there's the Boom Overture on the horizon...

Ship wise, a 30+ knot dash would suit me, even on a cruise to nowhere.

« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2021, 09:43 PM »
Aviation wise, there's the Boom Overture on the horizon...

I had never heard of this plane, but it looks fantastic! Still about a decade away, but definitely something to look forward to.

As for a cruise, I shall wait and see. A container ship would be very tempting, but I would also be tempted by a small ship visiting several islands in close proximity to each other, such as the Scottish Hebrides or a similar configuration. For the time being, I am in no hurry.