Author Topic: "All the President's Men".  (Read 42 times)

Online Andy Holloway

"All the President's Men".
« on: Feb 21, 2021, 01:19 PM »
Those members of QE2 Forum who are 'of a certain age'[Thomas excepted], will no doubt remember the Watergate break-in from 1972, which led to the resignation of President Richard Nixon, criminal proceedings being taken against, and the subsequent imprisonment, of several of his top aids. One of these aids was John Ehrlichman, who was counsel and, Assistant to the President for Domestic Affairs, under President Richard Nixon. Ehrlichman was an important influence on Nixon's domestic policy, coaching him on issues and enlisting his support for environmental initiatives.
Recently my wife and i sat down to watch the film of the newspaper investigation that led to the exposure, 'All The President's Men', which although over 45 years old is still a good watch.
While we were watching the film i remembered that, when i was onboard Vistafjord in 1999 Ehrlichman had been on a cruise as a 'Guest Speaker'.
I looked him up on Wikipedia and, although it gave the date of his death, there was no mention of the events over the preceding weeks that led up to death, it just says; " Ehrlichman died of complications from diabetes in Atlanta in 1999, after discontinuing dialysis treatments. But the story goes back some weeks before to this to his time onboard Vistasfjord. Apologies if it's a bit long winded, but what else do you  have to do during lock-down? I've attached it as a file as it's from "my sea memories" folder.
Also i'll attach a few photos of where we carried out the medivac to explain what the lagoon entrance was/is like, that i took many years later when visiting onboard Seabourn. When we were there in 1999 it was dark and a moonless night!

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: "All the President's Men".
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2021, 09:35 PM »
That is a fascinating story, which you have included in the attachment preceding the photos!

It just shows what trouble it is sometimes necessary to take in the case of serious illness, what dangers are carefully prevented, and how much planning goes into all this. It is also interesting to see that the tender stayed in situ until it was clear that the evacuation by air was successfully underway.

I am glad that you later met the relatives to receive their well-earned thanks.

Thank you for giving us some real life insight into a complicated medivac.