Author Topic: Who was youngest ever crew member on QE2.?  (Read 372 times)

Offline John D Hobley FinstR

Who was youngest ever crew member on QE2.?
« on: Jan 25, 2021, 01:36 PM »
Hi Everyone, I discussed this topic of who was the youngest ever crew member on the QE2 with Lynda some while ago but haven’t up to now raised it on this forum as Lynda suggested.

However, with all of us having a little more time to ourselves at present then this is as good a time as ever..

My name is John D Hobley MinstR.
I joined Cunard aged 16 while at a boys sea training school in Dover called The Prince of Wales Sea Training School. ( sadly a great military style run seamanship school no longer around ) Following this I joined the QE2 for the first time by being flown out of Gatwick with other crew to join her New York in November 1970 having just turned 17 as an Engine Room Boy.
I have previously when I first joined the forum posted more information and pictures of my experience on board should anyone be interested.

Lynda noted that we know through the forum there are a few who have mentioned how young they where when joining the QE2.

However, we thought it would be really interesting to have a forum topic on the subject for future reference and for many on the forum, we are sure a fascinating insight to know the ages of some of the youngest crew to ever join the QE2.

What year and how at a young age did you come to even join the QE2?

To start the ball rolling as a young crew member I have added my details below.

John D Hobley
I joined Cunard at 16yrs old while at Prince of Wales Sea Training School in Dover.
I then joined the crew of the QE2 for the first time in New York in November 1970 at 17yrs 4 months.

I hope you enjoy the subject... and thank you for reading...

John.

PS Lynda .. Of course you may have a better format to collate and use as reference depending on replies so I am sure you keep an eye on the subject.
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2021, 03:22 PM by Lynda Bradford »

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Who was youngest ever crew member on QE2.?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2021, 01:04 PM »
Thanks for starting this topic John.  I hope lots of QE2 crew post their information so we can compile a list.  So starting with you we have:

John D Hobley - Age when joined QE2: 17;  Date: November 1970; Engine Room Boy

Rod Fair - Age when joined QE2: 19 1/2;  Date: 1971 Engineer Cadet

John Chillingworth - Age 17? Date: November 1971 Engineer Cadet

Alan Snelson - Age when joined QE2: 23; Date: August 1978. Photographer

Louis de Sousa - Age when joined QE2 19 and 35 days ; Date: July 1990

Paul Tumilty - Age 20 years and 2 months; Date: January 1971

Dave Lowing - Age 17 years and 4 months. Date:  joined QE2 June 15th, 1973, Commis Waiter
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2021, 07:53 PM by Lynda Bradford »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Rod

« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2021, 02:44 PM »
Well I was 19 1/2 when I joined, so wont get a look in. But I suspect that John is going to be pretty close to being the youngest ever.
The only others would be Deck Boys and Commis Waiters.
For some reason I think that Commis' could join at 16.
Don't quote me on that though.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2021, 02:54 PM »
Thanks Rod, I think you are right, John may well be one of the youngest, but it will be interesting to compile a list to see what the ages were for crew members joining QE2.  When you joined were there many crew who were a similar age as you? 

PS: What year did you join QE2?
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2021, 04:04 PM »
As a solo passenger , l was 2 months away from being 17 when  took my first crossing in June 86 . Alas not crew .
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Rod

« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2021, 05:31 PM »
Thanks Rod, I think you are right, John may well be one of the youngest, but it will be interesting to compile a list to see what the ages were for crew members joining QE2.  When you joined were there many crew who were a similar age as you? 

PS: What year did you join QE2?
Trying to find out my age Lynda? Kidding!!
I joined for the first time as a Cadet/Apprentice (I believe Chillingworth and I were the last 2 Cunard Steamship Apprentices) that was 1971. October? Would have to look up my Discharge Book which isnt close at hand at the moment.

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2021, 07:44 PM »
When Vistafjord was in St Petersburg once, i had my family onboard, and because they hadn't got Visitor Visas the Purser placed them on the 'Crew List' so they could go ashore without any problems. Crew were given a little slip of paper in place of a visa.
My wife who was 45 was a Cabin Stewardess, my son, who was 11 was a 'Waiter' and my daughter, who was 15 was also a 'Cabin Stewardess'.

Does that count?  :)

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2021, 10:25 PM »
Trying to find out my age Lynda? Kidding!!
I joined for the first time as a Cadet/Apprentice (I believe Chillingworth and I were the last 2 Cunard Steamship Apprentices) that was 1971. October? Would have to look up my Discharge Book which isnt close at hand at the moment.

Rod I definitely do not want to find my age - Scary!

Good to know that John Chillingworth joined at the same time, I can add him to the list, if he wants to give more details that would be good. 
www.qe2event.com

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2021, 05:45 PM »
I was 19 years old and 35 days when I joined the ship in July 1990

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2021, 08:23 PM »
Brilliant to see how many young people joined QE2 for a career on the ship. Not only are we compiling information on the age but also listing by the year. 

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far and looking forward to seeing more posts from QE2 crew.
www.qe2event.com

Offline Paul Tumilty

« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2021, 12:06 PM »
I was, as far as I can remember, the second Deck Officer Cadet Cunard took on with their 'Mature Student Entry' programme. I was 20yrs and two months when I joined QE2 in Barbados January 1971 the morning after QE2 had rescued the passengers of the 'Antillies'.

I joined together with another Cadet, ( the first under the Mature Student Programme) whose name I just can't recall! David ??? We were supposed to join QE2 in New York however the crew flight was overbooked and we were sent to Lauderdale in Florida to join the Carmania, then tranship in Barbados.

I remember entering the shell doors, my bags being thrown in a corner and being sent straight up to the bridge where I had to keep a log of all launches arriving and leaving the ship that were disembarking the rescued passengers.

I was also told off, in no uncertain terms, by Commodore Warwick, for not placing the straps of the binoculars I was using, over my head!

Definitely a memorable day!

Paul Tumilty

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2021, 12:16 PM »
I was, as far as I can remember, the second Deck Officer Cadet Cunard took on with their 'Mature Student Entry' programme. I was 20yrs and two months when I joined QE2 in Barbados January 1971 the morning after QE2 had rescued the passengers of the 'Antillies'.........

Talk about a baptism of fire!  No wonder you remember it!  Thanks for a great post of a great memory.  Was day 1 also your most memorable day ever on board?

Link to our topic about the event :-

QE2 rescued survivors from the burning French liner 'Antilles' off the Island of Mustique

Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Dave Lowing

« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2021, 07:39 PM »
I was 17 years and 4 months. Just 2 weeks after leaving Gravesend Sea School joined QE2 June 15th, 1973.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2021, 09:55 AM »
I was 17 years and 4 months. Just 2 weeks after leaving Gravesend Sea School joined QE2 June 15th, 1973.

Thanks Dave the information to be added to the list. Did you join as one of the restaurant waiters?
www.qe2event.com

Offline Dave Lowing

« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2021, 07:11 PM »
Lynda, I joined as a Commis Waiter. We helped waiters in the restaurant, all three restaurants in the 70's.
Several had to work as runners for room service. A Head Waiter would sit at a small table, between the galley and the restaurant, and receive phone calls from the bedroom stewards and stewardesses in the various deck pantries. We were handed the list of required food items and we would grab a tray and go to the necessary stations in the galley. We collected the items and walked the loaded tray down to the specific deck pantry. Occasionally we got an order wrong and got a rollicking from the bedroom steward. Then it was back for more orders. Two or three were required to work as runners in the Pursers office.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2021, 07:54 PM »
Thanks Dave for this interesting insight into your work as a Commis Waiter.
www.qe2event.com

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2021, 06:48 AM »
That was fascinating, Dave! It sounds well organised, and it must have meant that you got to know many parts of the ship and many crew members here and there. I would love to hear more of your stories, of which there must be several  :) .

Offline John D Hobley FinstR

« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2021, 11:30 PM »
Hi Everyone.! I am delighted that this topic seems to have triggered a few memories many had when joining.at whatever age.

Obviously a time for us all we will remember for ever... So far it seems Dave was around the same age as myself and I expect he too had just as much an amazing experience at such a young age.

I often wonder how many young people would get the chance to be at sea these days at such an age.

I note that Paul mentions the Antillies which is also something I also remember of the time. In fact I wrote about this in my first letter of what life at sea was like back to the PWSTS school which was then published in the school magazine "The Healm" (copy of which along with some of my photos of my time on board in the photo gallery under 1970's for those interested.)
I look forward to reading more of your experiences that very likely helped to shape our futures..

Offline Vincent Scriven

• The Good Times
  • QE2 Crew member
  • Lido Diner
  • My Dear Brother Tony Spec Cook
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2021, 01:00 PM »
Hi I often heard Story's of the Escalator that went from the Main Galley to the Columbia Restraint? and was a work up for the Waiters and Engineers? :) but no mention  off them?

Crew cinema

Started by Beardy RichBoard Officers, Crew & Worker memories

Replies: 4
Views: 3113
Last post May 27, 2016, 04:46 PM
by Chris Shaftoe
New Member (Jeff Boardman)

Started by Jeff BoardmanBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 10
Views: 2094
Last post Nov 05, 2014, 12:32 PM
by holynougat