Author Topic: Queen Mary operator files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy  (Read 548 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Queen Mary operator files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
« on: Jan 20, 2021, 04:52 PM »
The entity that operates the Queen Mary in Long Beach filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy this week, throwing the ship’s fate into limbo yet again after several other operators met similar financial troubles over the past five decades.

https://lbpost.com/news/breaking-queen-mary-operator-files-for-chapter-11-bankruptcy
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
Re: Queen Mary operator files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2021, 04:59 PM »
Sad but not unexpected given the track record, let alone the current world situation. Maybe the City of Long Beach could operate her directly (taking on existing employees etc) or would that be too much to ask? The third party operator route clearly isn't working for the ship and she needs some stability in order to survive in my opinion. It would be a great shame to say the least if mismanagement and politics led to the demise of yet another historic ship in a static role, in particular Queen Mary.
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2021, 05:05 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2021, 05:30 PM »
Sad but not unexpected given the track record, let alone the current world situation. Maybe the City of Long Beach could operate her directly (taking on existing employees etc) or would that be too much to ask? The third party operator route clearly isn't working for the ship and she needs some stability in order to survive in my opinion. It would be a great shame to say the least if mismanagement and politics led to the demise of yet another historic ship in a static role, in particular Queen Mary.

If she was some magnificent world-famous historic building in the center of downtown Long Beach, I wonder if they'd hand it over to a 3rd party to maintain etc.... maybe they do that, I don't know, but its not a good way to go.  Something like this can't just be seen as a simple "does it make money or not" - its more complicated than that.  She's a world-class tourist attraction in the centre of their city, and she needs proper care and attention.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2021, 09:28 PM »
Now is not alas a good time for any business.  And if it involves guests and travel, well its pretty much screwed anyway just now.
However let it be said Chapter 11 isn't the end of the word, AA did it, It does, however, give some breathing space .
Now as a business, would anyone take Queen Mary on in her present state. If the various surveys are to be believed she could break up and sink at any time.

Look at QE2, for all that money that has been spent, is she losing money or making a handsome profit ? 

She's a world-class tourist attraction in the centre of their city, and she needs proper care and attention. 
Not sure id say shes in the center of the City, l always found her to be out on a limb in no mans land , you only going there to get to Queen Mary, theres nothing else there. other than what passes as a cruise terminal terminal which only sees one ship a week. There's been road construction on the way there for as along as l can remember. 
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2021, 01:25 PM »
Historic Queen Mary Is In Dire Straits As Operator Collapses

By Jason Cochran
02/15/2021, 2:00 PM
January 2021 kept people occupied with a few other news headlines, so you're forgiven if you missed this one: The company that operates the famous and irreplaceable Queen Mary filed for bankruptcy.

https://www.frommers.com/blogs/passportable/blog_posts/historic-queen-mary-is-in-dire-straits-as-operator-collapses

Offline Rod

« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2021, 04:26 PM »
I love Bill Cwiklo's comment about "The Mary"

"The city council and various leaseholders have spent a fortune ruining her,"

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2021, 06:30 PM »
Shall we group together, and lease the Queen Mary ?

Queen Mary operator to auction lease for ship after filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

https://lbpost.com/news/breaking-queen-mary-operator-to-auction-lease-for-ship-after-filing-for-chapter-11-bankruptcy

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2021, 09:42 PM »
Shall we group together, and lease the Queen Mary ? 

YES , The Hotel side seems to be running pretty well with very good occupancy rates  But given the Self service Sunday Brunch/buffet, Even in Vegas they have virtually stopped the buffets, Imagine Vegas with no Buffets   im not sure how that would work. It again was a great source of revenue . The buffet area is quite compact , and to have staff serving you, while ideal for portion control does vastly increase the wages bill . Its very easy to remove tables for social distancing, heck if they reduced the tops up of the sparkling wine champagne  :D that would vastly reduce expenses, the top ups really are constant.   

I always felt after the day trippers have gone there really isn't much that brings in revenue other than the bar and the eating locations . Granted its lovely and quiet but at this time, Quietness isn't what you need.
Long Beach could do more to promote the Free bus into town which is generally very quiet But promote it more and bring visitors from Long Beach out to Queen Mary.

The three deck Conference area is laying unused, a vast area at that. I couldn't help but think one New years eve it was a vast space crying out to bring in revenue.
Other than Queen Mary sitting there majestically, there's nothing in the area, other than the old Spruce Goose dome which Carnival use for their party cruises embarkation. The Catalina ferry l believe leaves from the other side.
Queen Mary is a beautiful attraction, l know a great many who live in LA who have yet to visit her , the ones i have convinced to make the trek down to her have returned with glowings of praise .
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2021, 03:53 PM »
Here is Jonathan Boonzaier's article from Tradewinds :

https://www.tradewindsnews.com/cruise-and-ferry/legendary-ocean-liner-queen-mary-available-for-charter-until-2082/2-1-979211

Its a good article.  In my 25 years career, the one thing I've never come to terms with, is outsourcing.  I've seen it work, but its very unusual.  If an organisation wants something done properly, they should do it themselves in my view!  Wouldn't it be lovely if Long Beach just adopted and ran the Queen Mary themselves, for the good of the city, rather than just purely to try to turn a fast buck while neglecting the basic maintenance...

Things like the "haunted" stuff just continue to drag her down, and someone needs to accept that a 90 year old ship isn't going to easily make money - but it does serve as a huge attraction to the city - IF they marketed her properly, and maintained her properly.  Or is it all just too late...

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2021, 10:31 PM »
In my 25 years career, the one thing I've never come to terms with, is outsourcing.  I've seen it work, but its very unusual.  If an organisation wants something done properly, they should do it themselves in my view!

I can echo that.  The main issue with outsourcing is that more often than not, the subcontractor - especially if they are an administrative subcontractor - is often working to a budget rather than to a standard.

When they are working to a budget, that's usually when things start to go wrong, and quite spectacularly although very few of the failings will be be known beyond those in-house staff who have the misfortune of dealing with the subcontractor on a daily basis.

Working to a standard tends to work very well, but it is not done very often simply because it means the actual price is not known up front, and can vary constantly.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Queen Victoria's new cruise 17 Oct 2012

Started by tdicksonBoard Past Events

Replies: 1
Views: 1389
Last post Sep 13, 2012, 07:43 PM
by Barrie Evans
The last six months aboard the Queen Elizabeth

Started by Bryce FoundlingBoard RMS Queen Elizabeth (1940)

Replies: 5
Views: 2257
Last post Feb 01, 2015, 11:28 PM
by cunardqueen
The Queen at the Naming of Queen Elizabeth

Started by Michael GallagherBoard The Cruise Sisters (QV & QE)

Replies: 0
Views: 240
Last post Jun 13, 2018, 02:19 PM
by Michael Gallagher
Queen Victoria - Berthed in Trieste 19-21-Nov-2011

Started by CAPBoard The Cruise Sisters (QV & QE)

Replies: 8
Views: 2213
Last post Nov 22, 2011, 06:59 PM
by Lynda Bradford
Steven Adler, QE2 Waiter, Queen's Grill 1981-1985

Started by adlerscBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 44
Views: 14303
Last post Jul 05, 2020, 04:05 PM
by Vincent Scriven