Poll

Choose 3 favourite photos

Cleaning almost completed
Fire doors outside the Caronia Restaurant.
Starboard lamp
Port Bridge Wing manoeuvring station or "Barbecue"
Whistle Control Panel
Her Denny Brown Stabilisers in action
Sailor Compact GMDSS Station
Pulley - the lifeboat's ups and downs
Control Panel
Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta...
"Hotel" - M.A.N-B&W four-stroke type 9L diesel unit
Large machine
Never enough time .. onboard!
Small parts matter!
Technically simple!
Incabin plumbing
Technically simple-- mechanically very simple what's not to like
2 technical & 1 mechanical devices share the moonlight, Biscay heading home
Port or is it stbd tender landing platform, answers please on a postcard
QE2 Wardroom RMS Mauritania Telegraph
Workshop
Queens Grill Galley
Lifeboat and technical gubbins. ......
Simple technology gets you to paradise !
One of QE2's 2 x 400-ton, 44 MW propulsion motors being assembled in the GEC factory
QE2's Emergency Boiler?
Black Water Pumps
Davit details

Voting closes: Feb 01, 2021, 02:21 PM

Author Topic: Poll November 2020 Competition: Technical and Mechanical instrument/machine part  (Read 195 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

The theme for the November  Competition, "Technical and Mechanical any instrument or machine part" was chosen by Frazscot, the winner of the July 2020 competition.

Thank you to everyone who submitted pictures, which we really appreciate. We hope that you enjoy choosing and voting for your 3 favourites.  This is the third competition of the new "calendar" year, with winning and runner-up photos going towards the 2022 QE2 Story Calendar.

The prize this month is the DVD "Southampton City of Ships" (photo below), donated by Isabelle Prondzynski.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Southampton-City-Ships-DVD/dp/B001C5NC5M/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=southampton+city+of+ships&qid=1604263956&s=dvd&sr=1-1

Alternatively, June Ingram is offering a jigsaw of the prizewinning picture . This option may not be available during periods of Covid restrictions.

The choice is yours -- which will it be?

Voting is easy, but you need to be registered as a Forum member and log into the Forum to vote.  Whether or not you have submitted photos, please support those who have participated, by choosing your 3 favourite ones, noting the details, then tick the relevant boxes on the poll.  If you have entered photos, please do not vote for your own pictures.

To make it easier for you, we have posted the pictures below. However, you can also view the photos by clicking the Gallery Album, "Technical and Mechanical instrument of machine part", where you can see them all at once, in thumbnail form, plus you can view larger versions of the pictures by clicking on the photos to see medium size, and clicking once more to see them in large size.

You will not see the results of the vote until the poll has closed on 1 February 2021, after all time zones have had a chance to catch up with the voting deadline.

Enjoy the variety in these photos and choose your favourites :) .

As always the choice is yours -- enjoy!

Cleaning almost completed

Fire doors
Outside the Caronia Restaurant

Starboard lamp

Port Bridge Wing manoeuvring station or "Barbecue"

Whistle Control Panel

Her Denny Brown Stabilisers in action

Sailor Compact GMDSS Station

Pulley - the lifeboat's ups and downs

Control Panel

Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta...

"Hotel" - M.A.N-B&W four-stroke type 9L diesel unit

Large machine
One of the two GEC propeller motors - 44MW each!

Never enough time .. onboard!

Small parts matter!

Technically simple!

Incabin plumbing

Technically simple-- mechanically very simple what's not to like

2 technical & 1 mechanical devices share the moonlight, Biscay heading home

Port or is it stbd tender landing platform, answers please on a postcard

QE2 Wardroom RMS Mauritania Telegraph

Workshop

Queens Grill Galley

Lifeboat and technical gubbins. ......

Simple technology gets you to paradise !

One of QE2's 2 x 400-ton, 44 MW propulsion motors being assembled in the GEC factory

QE2's Emergency Boiler?

Black Water Pumps

Davit details
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2021, 09:38 AM by Lynda Bradford »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

It never fails to amaze how many fabulous photos are uploaded to the Photo Competition as members interpret the theme and this month's poll does not disappoint.  However the task to choose just three favourites is getting harder and harder each month.

Enjoy viewing the photos and choosing what you think are the three best winning photos. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
Just voted! Interesting to see what looks like a bit of early concept art for QM2 in the photo of her GMDSS equipment.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Voted...

Another impossible choice to narrow down, though!
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Just voted ! Phew....difficult task !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Andy Holloway

How could i not vote for my old friend, and long time breakfast companion, Martin Harrison[QE2's Emergency Boiler?] I presume the 'Emergency Boiler' is the train and not Martin!

Martin for those who don't know him is a mad passionate steam railway enthusiast and buff. He's also an incredibly talented engineer who can turn his hand to making almost anything, the train is an example of his work.
I remember once in Cape Town when we were in for 3 days, he finished his watch - 4/8 - came in for a very quick breakfast and then rushed down to the gangway where he was collected by an old friend who lived in SA. They went off many, many miles to a railway scrap yard where they spent most of the day drooling over bits and pieces of old railway memorabilia and salvage. I can't remember what Martin bought but do remember that it was quite large, solid looking and certainly quite heavy. It caused quite a stir in the terminal when he put it through the X-Ray machine that's for sure. He got back onboard about 1530/35 and was back on watch in the ECR at 1600.

And my second choice, 'Simple technology gets you to paradise', i spent enough time on those gangways to develop a bit of affection for them!

Offline Waverley

Andy. I contacted my friend and he has viewed the photo of the loco in the QE2 engineroom. He has two of these model locos, the same as the one onboard. It is a South African 16 DA.
My friend used to work on the railways and he says
‘Ah, I know exactly where they went. The place would have been Tous River, about 100miles inland. It had a massive fleet of over 250 stored steam locos.‘

My friend also travelled on the QE2 on her last Atlantic crossing.

Online Lynda Bradford

Ten people have voted so far and already we have one photo in the lead.  Please vote to ensure your favourite photo is the winner.
www.qe2event.com

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Eleven voters now, and three photos in the lead.

This is an interesting contest, with such a great variety of entries! Enjoy the browse and the chance to vote :) .