Author Topic: QE2 documentary from after the Falklands War but before her re-engining  (Read 532 times)

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
Hi everyone,

A wonderful documentary I've just stumbled on, particularly on the technical detail side, with plenty of machinery footage that I've not seen before:

John's (the uploader's) channel has several other QE2 videos and if I recall correctly he has uploaded excerpts of the 1980s World Cruises he filmed onto some of the QE2 groups on Facebook in recent times.

His upload of one of her final season official onboard Cunard "Your Voyage" videos gives a good comparison with the above documentary, including on the technical side with some of the behind the scenes footage from the bridge being filmed on the January 2008 tandem with Queen Victoria. I have set the YouTube link to play from that point given that the rest of the ship at the end of her service with Cunard is very familiar to many of us:

First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Online Andy Holloway

A very interesting video, but sad to see so many 'old friends' who are no longer with us, Capt Arnott, John Duffy & Bob Haines to mention but a few.

My brain tells me it was only yesterday, but my 'aching joints' and every time i see my 2nd  daughter, born May 1982, remind me that it was over 38 years ago!

« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2020, 05:07 PM by Andy Holloway »

Online cunardqueen

Hi everyone,

A wonderful documentary I've just stumbled on, particularly on the technical detail side, with plenty of machinery footage that I've not seen before:   

Well thats a blast from the distant past Thomas. This was the very first video l bought. Away back in 1986 Ocean Pictures who ran the onboard photography concession had produced this video and it played in the shop and was proudly available for sale, at a price ! .

Onboard l remember thinking it was a hellish price, but having already bought every photo (which l did every trip) l knew l had to have this video. when l came home it must have been watched by the world and his wife. How i never wore it out watching it l dont know.  I remember thinking back then it was an amazing video with quirky music. But what really grabbed me all those years ago was the very last bit of footage and the last few words spoken by Bob Haines, it really summed up any voyage on QE2. l would urge all of you if you havent seen it go back and listen to the last words spoken as QE2 sails into her home port. Alas it stops short of his very last few words, But what he says on tape is so very true.

Iv attached a photo of the video label so proper credit can be given to Ocean Pictures

As a little footnote. After my first trip l wrote Ocean Pictures about some photos. I had already booked for the trip in 1987  and back came a lovely lovely letter from l think Stuart ? Hunter-Cox and he had attached a with compliments slip which l had to show to the shop next time l was onboard . All it said was " Please ensure Mr Devin is "looked after "" and a signature . well l had no idea what it could mean  So on my next trip l was busy buying the photos and went to the display and was ready to charge it and showed the guy the slip . Next thing l knew l was being told there was no charge . I couldnt figure out why or what he ment  until he said that note was from the big boss and there would be no charge for the photos . Sure enough on that trip l never paid for any of the offical photos .They were supplied With Compliments.
 As a 19 year old l was really bowled over. The QE2 kindness, as l call it, worked at such odd moments.

Having watched the video online , it must be at least 20 or so years before l last saw it, and l can remember it like yesterday .

I was always amazed with the photos how people would have paid so much for a cruise, yet moaned about the price of these photos and simply wouldnt buy them. l hate to think how much l spent over the years on the photos, and then when the Photographer would say Oh and just one more FLASH l knew that was another purchase. 
What i do kick myself for is having done the Farewell UK trip and back to back crossings l dont have the Welcome Aboard pic from either crossing.   

From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
“As QE2 slowly manoeuvres into her homeport of Southampton, England, passengers will arrive richer than when they left, for riches shouldn’t be measured in money and possessions but rather in experiences and memories”.

It’s a shame the very last few words are cut off but as you say Myles this was so very true about QE2. Hearing those words, particularly the first time around last night, brought back the happy memories, heaps of nostalgia, and one almost shed a tear too in the process, much like seeing the ship in person again back in January when driving up to her in the taxi.

The preceding bit about a successor to QE2, really came true in QM2 particularly regarding the technological advances. The saying: “never say never” comes to mind.

QE2 had a family sort of feel if that's the correct word, including a kindness as you mention, that I've not experienced on any other ship in the same way since nor to anywhere like the same extent since either for different reasons that haven't really facilitated it in the first place. It was definitely part of her appeal, the "QE2 bug" as such. The passenger/crew interaction played a key part in this just as much as the ship herself did by design (quirks and all).

Talking about passenger/crew interaction, some personal examples being:

Papa the Lido waiter going the extra mile out of kindness when he wasn't obliged to even as part of his job.

Captain Rynd walking around the ship and taking an active interest in what went on including a certain person reading one of the shipping books from the library and coming to chat with us when he didn't have to.

David Hamilton and his wife in the Lido being very kind when we/I approached them at the end of their meal to ask what sort of officer he was (Hotel Manager) and that leading into a conversation with them that was both interesting and inspiring to this child passenger. The modesty shown by, and how the senior officer's treated their crew in such circumstances also left a lasting good impression from the nights we witnessed this - again feeding into the strong impression, from my passenger's viewpoint, that QE2 was a happy ship.
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2020, 12:09 AM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Online Andy Holloway

Lovely words spoken by a lovely man, taken from us far, far too early.

I served, and worked, with Bob Haines when he was Cruise Director on RVS, where he was always referred to as 'BOB' and later when he returned to his 'alma mata' , QE2.

Sadly he lert us In tragic circumstances many years ago, I'm guessing possibly 2003, suffering an pulmary embolism as he was about to leave his house to go out for dinner with his wife.

Online cunardqueen

As QE2 slowly manoeuvres into her homeport of Southampton, England, passengers will arrive richer than when they left, for riches shouldn’t be measured in money and possessions but rather in experiences and memories”. 
"Something QE2 passengers will hold in abundance for the rest of their lives."...l believe is the complete version.

Bob seemed to have the right voice for the voiceover 
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
"Something QE2 passengers will hold in abundance for the rest of their lives."...l believe is the complete version.

Bob seemed to have the right voice for the voiceover

So very true, and indeed he did.

Online Andy Holloway

Bob did have an excellant 'Broadcast' voice which he used to great effect when on RVS, as that ship had in cabin TV network to which the Cruise Director was a regular anchor man/contributor for a 'Breakfast' type show each morning when at sea. They also made a few programmes during the long periods at sea, ie Cape Town to Buenos Aires, loosely based on US & UK TV shows, such as Murder Mysteries spread over 4 or 5 days.

I wonder if anyone has In thier collection of memorabilia an old QE2 or maybe even an old RVS daily programme with Bob's biography in it!

QE2 and the Falklands War

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard The 1980s

Replies: 151
Views: 63421
Last post Jul 14, 2020, 09:31 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Argentine port bans entry to cruise ship en route from Falklands

Started by Louis De SousaBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 4
Views: 1894
Last post Mar 02, 2012, 02:09 PM
by Louis De Sousa