Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Could the QE2 ever go back into service as an ocean liner?  (Read 232 times)

Online Mona Robrish

Being a former QE2 passenger - from 1974 through 1979 -, I, for one, would love to see the QE2 return to service as the magnificent ocean liner of years ago. It would be wonderful to set sail again, to experience her old world charm and all she had to offer in those days. Think there is any chance??

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Re: Could the QE2 ever go back into service as an ocean liner?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2020, 11:06 PM »
Sadly not.  :(

Much as I, and every other forum member, would like this to happen...
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2020, 10:03 AM »
Being a former QE2 passenger - from 1974 through 1979 -, I, for one, would love to see the QE2 return to service as the magnificent ocean liner of years ago. It would be wonderful to set sail again, to experience her old world charm and all she had to offer in those days. Think there is any chance??

There really isn't, unfortunately.

Your best dream is that someone incredibly rich decides to build something very similar.  That's my dream anyway.

We just have to enjoy all the photos, videos and memories.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online Mona Robrish

« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2020, 06:46 PM »
Thanks for your input - so sad. I wish I was rich! :-[ :-[

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2020, 11:30 PM »
She has lost too much now...

Just one example, her propellers have been cut off. Also, the davits from which the lifeboats were suspended. Not to mention the damage done to her engines, both actively and passively.

I too would love her to return to the seas... her last chance was the planned voyage to Cape Town for the FIFA World Cup... but sadly, that fell through.

You will find a discussion we had at the time, here :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=686.0

And here is the timeline of events from 2008 to 2018 :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=5484.0

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2020, 08:51 AM »
Anything can is possible with money and a vision however the costs would be stratospheric.

The other question is Class - she was sailing with quite a few deferrals at the end I think?
She has now been out of Class for 11 years so she would be treated as a new ship in the eyes of the regulations.

As Rob said - more chance of some "money is no object" person coming along and building something similar.

Having said that you'd be as well offering Cunard a sum they couldnt refuse for QM2 in that case!!

Gav

Online Mona Robrish

« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2020, 07:27 PM »
Much thanks to all for your informative replies! When I win the lottery...

Offline Rod

« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2020, 12:03 AM »
Sadly Mona, thats going to have to be the biggest lottery in the world.
I wish I could go back on there as it was pre Bremmerhaven #1 refit.
I am not holding my breath.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2020, 10:37 PM »
Anything can is possible with money and a vision however the costs would be stratospheric.

The other question is Class - she was sailing with quite a few deferrals at the end I think?
She has now been out of Class for 11 years so she would be treated as a new ship in the eyes of the regulations.

As Rob said - more chance of some "money is no object" person coming along and building something similar.

Having said that you'd be as well offering Cunard a sum they couldnt refuse for QM2 in that case!!

Gav

Her double bottom tanks are/were another issue.

I seem to recall a screenshot of her Lloyds class status was posted here on the forum towards the latter half of her warm layup (November 2008 to late 2012/February 2013 depending on how one defines it) and more and more things were going red on the checklist over time including the economisers on the diesels. Her watertight door closing times were also mentioned to be wildly varying if I recall correctly in that same timeframe and/or topic. All things that were becoming, if not were already, nails in the coffin without very deep pockets and a lot of remedial work. That's notwithstanding equipment upgrades or changes she would've had to have, had she continued sailing much longer - her own sewage treatment plant being one that comes to mind and would've been major work.

Furthermore, as part of her ongoing hotel conversion she has been extensively rewired and repiped etc geared around shore based supplies (her electrical supply from shore being 6.6 kV) and a lot of old (formerly vital) auxiliary equipment has been removed etc etc. All things, plus what has already been mentioned above and some, that gear her to a static role only with towing being the only time she'll ever get underway and into open water. All in all, very bittersweet.

Of course, she was never sold to Dubai with the intention of sailing again with all the contract/legal stuff, and apart from the Capetown venture born out of a possible alternative use for her in the midst of that recession,  she was allowed to degrade in a seagoing sense as part of that with all that goes with the process - being further accelerated by the damaging cold layup (early 2013 to mid 2015) that should never have happened in anycase.

As Rob has said it would be easier and cheaper for a replica to be built or as Gav has suggested, see if Carnival UK would like a few 100 million dollars for QM2 (who knows? ;) ).
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2020, 03:04 AM by Thomas Hypher »
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008 - we had the better view!