Author Topic: First Memories Of Being At Sea  (Read 2827 times)

Offline Jem

First Memories Of Being At Sea
« on: Aug 22, 2009, 10:23 PM »
My first memory was in 1965 when our family emigrated to Canada aboard the USSR Alexandra Pushkin. In those days liners still plied the Atlantic route.
I remember waking up and looking out of our port hole and wondering where the land had gone! I was only five. I remember watching the ships wake trailing off into the distance and being transfixed by it. The smell of the sea and the wind in your face it all had that 'something'.
I remember the night a storm blew up and the steward visiting the cabins to screw the port hole covers shut. I fell asleep in my bunk with the curtain pulled and me side light on listening to the storm outside, yet I felt safe.
My Dad taught me to swim while onboard and I also had my 5th birthday with a special cake made!
Ever since that time now 44 years ago I've adored ships and the sea.
If I'd been fit enough I'd have loved to have sailed on the QE2, it was not to be.
However next year in Nov, with my brothers help, we're off on the QM2. First time since 1965 I'll be on a liner again. I could have chosen a cruise ship but it wouldn't feel right. I like real ships.

What are your first memories?

Cheers.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: First Memories Of Being At Sea
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2009, 12:27 PM »
Great post, thanks!

It is a shame you weren't able to travel on QE2, I think she'd have reminded you of your first liner experience more than QM2 will.... but yes, QM2 is indeed the last one to be more than a cruise ship!

I think you're saying you're 49?  (Apologies if I've got that wrong).  You really must try Saga Ruby if you get a chance - she's lovely, and would remind you even more of Pushkin I think.  In fact you could try her right now if you can find a 50 year old pal to go with!

My first proper trip to sea was on QE2 in April 87 when I was 14 and she'd just been rebuilt.  I also remember the wake as a big memory of that trip, especially when it had an endless stream of plastic deck chairs floating on top of it... I loved walking on deck, loved being outside.  This is something that I still find true even if I'm on a ferry - I end up sun-burned and sticky with salt from spending far too long outside!  I remember looking DOWN at tall ships below, that was amazing... lots of memories.

- R
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Jem

« Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2009, 02:54 PM »
Two other things that spring to mind. I found it amazing that a vessel could push its way through the water pushing the sea apart.
We took our Golden Retriever with us and my parents used to say every evening when he was fed a steward delivered the dogs food on a silver salver!!
I forgot to mention the Alexandra Pushkin is still in service as the Marco Polo.
Here are 2 pics of her then and now:

Offline Jem

« Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2009, 02:58 PM »
Oooops! Here they are

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2009, 12:24 AM »
My first memories are all of ferries. Passenger ferries to the German North Sea islands (and never getting seasick when other people did...  :D  ), then later, car ferries on the English Channel (Calais-Dover) and the Irish Sea (Dún Laoghaire-Holyhead and Roslare-Fishguard).

Perhaps the most memorable of those crossings was when I emigrated to Kenya in early 1992. With my car filled with my belongings, I left Dún Laoghaire to take it to Antwerp for its sea journey to Mombasa... and I remember looking out at Ireland as it disappeared in the distance, the lighthouses on the rocks that were the last sign of Ireland, and finally just the cold, and the lights disappearing in the distance. I remembered how so many emigrants had left the Irish shores by sea and how I was catching a tiny glimpse of a big piece of history. Taking the car to Antwerp was another adventure, as the port is so HUGE and it took quite a while to find the right place. It was strange picking it up again, a few weeks later, in Nairobi... so far inland... it had been brought up all the way from Mombasa in its container. I did think at the time that I would have loved to have done the sea journey with the container (which, apart from the car, also contained my four trunks and my washing machine!!), and now perhaps I regret it even more... but at the time, there was never any question of taking the ship.

So, when I first boarded QE2 in the year 2000, that was my very first time to be on a big ship. And what an experience it was!

Offline Avariel

« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2009, 08:11 PM »
I've been playing along the sea shore for as long as I can remember. So I have been on boats - mainly small ones - since a very young age.

When I was younger, I was terrified of the motion of the sea and getting me onto a boat, or a ship, would result in me putting up a fight. And that is one of the things no one believes when I tell them that.

My first ship was the Langkapuri Star Aquarius - now sold and sailing as the Pearl of Scandinavia. That was after I had fallen in love with ships.

Then there was the SuperStar Virgo, the SuperStar Leo - sold and now sailing as the Norwegian Spirit, and of course the QE2.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2009, 11:31 PM »
Hi Jem - thanks for starting this!

First ever memory - aged about 3,
watching the Fyffes' ships bringing the first bananas up the  River Mersey into Liverpool after WW11,
(from the window in the bathroom!)
Aboard the New Brighton ferries
Ferries over sea lochs on the West Coast of Scotland
Then the rowing boats in Sefton Park - all before the age of 4

Eventually..... Queen Elizabeth 2 - Simply the best.
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2009, 08:36 AM by Twynkle »

Offline Chris

« Reply #7 on: Sep 01, 2009, 05:35 AM »
My first memory of being at sea was aboard the one and only - QE2.

I was 11 years old and in my element as I stepped foot aboard the most magnificent ship in the world for the first time. I was totally captivated by every part of being at sea and everything about QE2. I was an instant fan, hooked for life.

QE2 has and always will be my favourite ship and I hope to one day step aboard her again in the future.
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Memories of a 175 Three Queens Sailaway

Started by shipnshoreBoard QE2's Successors

Replies: 0
Views: 743
Last post Apr 23, 2018, 05:08 PM
by shipnshore
Shipyard memories

Started by Gillian AyresBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 3
Views: 493
Last post Nov 18, 2022, 10:42 AM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Share your memories here - one at a time !

Started by singlemaltBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 9
Views: 3998
Last post Feb 03, 2009, 08:52 PM
by cunardqueen
Memories of QE2 final westbound Atlantic crossing

Started by southfielddaneBoard Final Departures & Final Season Memories

Replies: 22
Views: 8192
Last post Dec 01, 2022, 02:53 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
QE2 memories of the "Noughties"