Author Topic: Ships being sold, orders cancelled, ships scrapped due to COVID-19  (Read 21551 times)

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Yes, BA has just announced the premature retirement of their 747s; originally scheduled for 2023 / 2024, it's now with immediate effect.  The BA A380s are all stored, but are being rotated back to Heathrow regularly for maintenance so they probably do anticipate re-instating them.

Emirates has just returned A380s to service and they are now running them to Heathrow and Paris CDG again.

Those of you who prefer to cross the Atlantic with four engines, Lufthansa still have some passenger 747s and these are the latest model, the 747-8.

...and we all seem to have gone a bit off topic on this thread haven't we?  :-[
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
 :) ;D
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

I wonder will many of us be inclined to stay closer to home? This might mean increasing business for the Hebridean ships for example, and perhaps even for day trips, which could benefit ships like Waverley (Glasgow), Bohuslän (Götheborg) and possibly even Cap San Diego (which normally does not venture out of Hamburg for more than a few days each year).

Will we develop a taste for the enlarged "staycation"?

Travel restrictions may make us look for these opportunities in future.

Online cunardqueen

I always loved the 747s, they felt so big and safe and Comfy.   I think every trip I've made to America was on a 747.

Since we are off topic, l might add this
My first few Longhaul flights were in 747s and l really loved them and still do. The bubble is quite a unique space, its quiet and the service is just that bit more personal. Upstairs in BBC (Bubble Business Class) the crew are usually quick to tell you a maximum sized cabin bag doesnt fit in the locker and they hide them somewhere, and again there are 2 seats that are prized for privacy and direct isle access. 64A 64K They are held for passengers flying with babies and released -72 hours before departure, and you need to be quick to secure them. Untill the new club suites appeared these were generally known as the best seats for Club World in the BA fleet.

But then when you fly the A380 you need to get used to the size of the beasts, and when your sitting down there is still another deck below, full of passengers . What i could never get used with is the take off, you seem to gently trundle down the runway and then lift off in no time. and your not aware that your going as fast as you are, not to mention just how quiet they are, and theres the mood lighting.  One of the Business class toilets is simply just to big with wasted space.  On a night flight when all is quiet it was quite nice to have  a little walk about and see the spiral stairs, l always likened it to the Double Down room stairs. And if you get a really good cabin crew, you can always talk travel in the galley.

My Flight on the 747 last year for my 50th in Vegas took me over on the 747 in the Landor colour scheme , a marvellous flight with one of the good seats in Economy and the highlight of a Flight deck visit on landing in Vegas. When you see cockpits you tend to see amaze of screens and modern gizmos, the 747 l was quite surprised just how antiquated  all the equipment was and not a lot of the screens etc and probably not the biggest of views out the windows.  The flight home . by choice l was at the furtherest  seat back, right in the tail. As opposed to the 3 abreast this was only 2 so again you had plenty of space and no one behind . Theres nothing worse than having someone messing about with their tray table. We did hit a rough weather , and at times you felt you were on a roller coaster ride, but it was fun. When the nose lifted at takeoff you certainly knew you were at the back.  The crew were very good at slipping out extras from the galley which was right beside you .   
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2020, 09:13 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Some sad footage here of Pullmantur Sovereign  beaching alongside her sister Pullmantur Monarch at Aliaga recently.

She sounded her horn all the way until she finally came to rest on the beach which brought to mind the description of Canberra beaching in '97 with bagpipe music playing at "foo bung" from her PA.

These ships dont look anywhere near ready for this fate but sadly the current climate has dictated it.
On the flip side lets hope that the equipment on board can be sold on the keep other vessels in service a wee bitty longer!

At least this one didnt go without making her voice heard!

Pullmantur Sovereign

Gav
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2020, 11:08 AM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Some sad footage here of Pullmantur Sovereign  beaching alongside her sister Pullmantur Monarch at Aliaga recently.

She sounded her horn all the way until she finally came to rest on the beach which brought to mind the description of Canberra beaching in '97 with bagpipe music playing at "foo bung" from her PA.

These ships dont look anywhere near ready for this fate but sadly the current climate has dictated it.
On the flip side lets hope that the equipment on board can be sold on the keep other vessels in service a wee bitty longer!

At least this one didnt go without making her voice heard!

Pullmantur Sovereign

Gav

Incredibly sad. Significant ships, still looking good in 2020, in fact better than many modern ships.  The crew must have been gutted.  That control room looks pristine.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Chris Thompson

And another one up on the beach, I would imagine that employment opportunities at Aliaga shipyard
are pretty good right now.....

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Absolutely gut-wrenching...
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Clydebuilt1971

And another one up on the beach, I would imagine that employment opportunities at Aliaga shipyard
are pretty good right now.....

Carnival Fantasy (Kværner Masa-Yards, Helsinki 1988) - her sister Carnival Inspiration (Kværner Masa-Yard, Helsinki 1996) is en-route to the same destination by all accounts.
They seem to all be Turkey bound at the moment - I wonder if Alang and its very environmental record and shockingly poor working conditions is following out of favour?

Sadly I heard that there are other Carnival vessels possibly heading for the same fate.

G
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2020, 09:05 AM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
They seem to all be Turkey bound at the moment - I wonder if Alang and its very environmental record and shockingly poor working conditions is following out of favour?

Sadly I heard that there are other Carnival vessels possibly heading for the same fate.

G

I wonder if Alang is in the depths of this pandemic? It has all gone very quiet regarding ship breaking there after all and India has a large number of virus cases. I know our MOD has exclusively used Aliaga for scrapping our decommissioned warships and auxiliaries for quite some time now, perhaps influenced by the FNS Clemenceau/Alang debacle.

This could be a shift in preference in general too given that Taiwan was the place that scrapped a lot of ships in the early 1970s (before Alang became the place from the early 1980s onwards alongside Chittagong and Gadani sometime in that period too), and before that La Spezia along with Japan were popular post WW2 into the early 1960s alongside our native scrapping centres at the time. Changing times perhaps?
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2020, 09:12 AM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

I wonder if Alang is in the depths of this pandemic? It has all gone very quiet regarding ship breaking there after all and India has a large number of virus cases. I know our MOD has exclusively used Aliaga for scrapping our decommissioned warships and auxiliaries for quite some time now, perhaps influenced by the FNS Clemenceau/Alang debacle. This could be a shift in preference in general too given that Taiwan was the place that scrapped a lot of ships in the early 1970s (before Alang became the place from the early 1980s onwards alongside Chittagong and Gadani sometime in that period too), and before that La Spezia along with Japan were popular post WW2 into the early 1960s alongside our native scrapping centres at the time. Changing times perhaps?

True Thomas - we have an order for Lube Oil Systems with a company based in Pune, India and their factory has been in and out of lockdown over the last couple of months.

G

Online Lynda Bradford

USA Today, listed on 26 July ships being dropped from fleets, including Carnival Cruise line, Holland America, P&O, Costa Cruises, Royal Caribbean, Pullmantur.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/07/25/carnival-other-cruise-lines-cutting-ships-fleets-amid-covid-19/5449857002/

It is going to take a long time for cruise lines to recover from the pandemic.  Sad time for the cruise industry. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
It is going to take a long time for cruise lines to recover from the pandemic.  Sad time for the cruise industry.

If at all, at the current rate. I don't really want to think about what we'll be seeing/left with this time next year and with the repeated spikes of the virus in various parts of the world. Very sad all round.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
TUI closing 166 high street shops in the UK and Ireland. Marella Cruises' parent company is TUI group.

https://a.msn.com/r/2/BB17mPg7?m=en-gb&ocid=News

Online Chris Thompson

This may seem a little morbid from a ship lovers point of view, but I wonder if anyone is planning a documentary of the scrapping of the three ships currently at Aliaga?
Would be very interesting to see the actual process, plus they could do some very cool time-lapse shots......

QE2 - Lifespan Compared Other Cunard Ships.

Started by CAPBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 6
Views: 2433
Last post Feb 03, 2014, 09:34 PM
by June Ingram
TheQE2Story.com at The Tall Ships Race, Greenock, July 2011

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 37
Views: 21659
Last post Jul 07, 2011, 09:32 PM
by Lynda Bradford
The Beirut explosion and the ships affected by it