Author Topic: Ships being sold, orders cancelled, ships scrapped due to COVID-19  (Read 21764 times)

Online Chris Thompson

Costa Victoria Scrapping

Just saw this from Cruise Harbor News, Costa Victoria a 24 year old ship going to the scrappers.
At least this is going to happen in a small port in Italy which will boost the local economy, I wonder who's next?
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2020, 01:08 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Chris Thompson

Re: Ships being sold and/or scrapped due to COVID-19
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2020, 01:23 PM »
Pullmantur Cruises

Here is anther tidbit about Pullmantur Cruises, apparently items of value are being removed from their ships....

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 24, 2020, 04:12 PM »
Costa Victoria Scrapping

Just saw this from Cruise Harbor News, Costa Victoria a 24 year old ship going to the scrappers.
At least this is going to happen in a small port in Italy which will boost the local economy, I wonder who's next?

She's the last cruise ship Bremer Vulkan ever built, her sister being completed by Lloyd Werft for NCL (Norwegian Sky) to quite an altered design. I suspect she's the first in an unprecedented phase for Carnival group alone, likely being followed by Carnival Ecstasy and her Fantasy class sisters if I had to guess given they seem to be the Carnival Cruises fleet units for sale and are that brand's oldest ships.

As for the other cruise companies and their brands, things don't look good for CMV in particular so it would seem the likes of Astoria and Marco Polo are on even more borrowed time compared to before the pandemic. A very sad state of affairs given they're classic ships who are in a niche of their own and have a special appeal of their own.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 2020, 04:58 PM »
Having sailed on the Carnival Ecstacy a couple of years ago I would say that a very major refit or a one way trip to the scrappers is definitely in order!  ;D

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2020, 01:55 AM »
I am fearful that some older ships and some who might have been up for a refit will be scrapped instead.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Olivia

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #8 on: Jul 08, 2020, 06:43 PM »
Actually Oceana is lucky to have stayed a P&O ship for as long as she has, others of her class with other lines within Carnival, have already been sent 'down under' to while away their time, in their dotage, in Australia, before heading off to China for palliative care, before Alang beckons them!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #9 on: Jul 16, 2020, 05:47 AM »
Unexpected in a time like this and perhaps in normal times too, and a very bold move from Fred Olsen. Unfortunately this will likely spell the end of Black Watch and Boudicca in the next couple of months from reading in between the lines as they are the oldest in the current fleet by a wide margin, not being much younger than QE2. One also wonders what Phoenix Reisen could have in mind in this regard given they operate the remaining sister (Albatros) of the Royal Viking Line trio. At least the three ships have had a good innings, probably beyond what was thought they'd get when they were built, but very sad nevertheless and given the circumstances.

Will there be any smaller ships (let alone classic ships) left besides the luxury ones (such as Seabourn) when this is all said and done?

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23248-fred-olsen-buys-amsterdam-and-rotterdam.html
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2020, 05:55 AM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #10 on: Jul 16, 2020, 01:34 PM »
Shrewd move by Olsen I think.
Those two HAL boats would probably be going at a decent price and decent payment terms I would think so probably a good move for them.

They'd have paid a lot more for them in pre-COVID times.

Boudicca used to be regular visitor to Greenock but its been Black Watch the last few years. Before those it was Black Prince who used to call - she was a combined ferry / cruise ship initially before being devoted to cruising. She left the Olsen fleet in 2009.

Agree with you Thomas - I think this spells the end for those two veterans.

Gav

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #11 on: Jul 16, 2020, 03:59 PM »
Shrewd move by Olsen I think.
Those two HAL boats would probably be going at a decent price and decent payment terms I would think so probably a good move for them.

They'd have paid a lot more for them in pre-COVID times.

Boudicca used to be regular visitor to Greenock but its been Black Watch the last few years. Before those it was Black Prince who used to call - she was a combined ferry / cruise ship initially before being devoted to cruising. She left the Olsen fleet in 2009.

Agree with you Thomas - I think this spells the end for those two veterans.

Gav

I've read they have been purchased for $37 million from HAL, but whether that is each or combined I don't know and there is also a payment plan in place over several years as Fred Olsen have unusually disclosed. Either way they're a bargain it seems.

Ah yes Black Prince, a victim of SOLAS 2010 like so many others.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #12 on: Jul 22, 2020, 02:17 PM »
Pullmantur's Monarch (originally RCL's Monarch of the Seas) beaching a few hours ago at Aliaga in Turkey after sitting at anchor nearby for the last week or so. She beached at around 9 1/2 knots according to her AIS which is still active for now and also showing her registration as Malta and name as Monarch, and she is still in Pullmantur branding unlike the usual practices of changing all three for different reasons when scrapping a ship. A sad occasion and the first of several cruise ships that Aliaga will be scrapping prematurely in the coming months.

https://instagram.com/p/CC77nXqA3qn?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2020, 02:18 PM by Thomas Hypher »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #13 on: Jul 22, 2020, 02:33 PM »
How very sad, to see her on the beach with her tracker still alive. Not for much longer presumably.  I wonder how many they can cope with at once..

I see sovereign is waiting offshore just now too.

She is an attractive ship compared to most these days.
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2020, 02:54 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #14 on: Jul 22, 2020, 06:10 PM »
So here's my "hot take"

• It won't just be small cruise lines that fail, big or even huge ones will too.
  • It won't just be small and older ships getting scrapped, modern ones will too.
  • New builds in process will have to be cancelled, even if underway.  Surely.
  • There is the potential for the entire cruise industry to just become not viable at all, except perhaps the ultra luxury small ships

Shipyards were already in a precarious position before this outbreak -- this will affect them greatly, perhaps with a brief delay.

Freight liners will still be needed, but they too will be affected, to varying degrees depending on their cargo.

As for crews, this situation will be disastrous for employment, and quite possibly even for some economies, such as the Philippines.

QE2 - Lifespan Compared Other Cunard Ships.

Started by CAPBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 6
Views: 2479
Last post Feb 03, 2014, 09:34 PM
by June Ingram
The Beirut explosion and the ships affected by it

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 1
Views: 513
Last post Aug 07, 2020, 10:42 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
TheQE2Story.com at The Tall Ships Race, Greenock, July 2011