Author Topic: Coronavirus : general discussion focussed on the impact on the cruise industry  (Read 16504 times)

Online cunardqueen

We have not heard much about ferries in this context, but here is one newsworthy event : 

Northlink Ferries who operate between Scrabster (Caithness) and Stromness Orkney have blocked ALL group bookings for next year. So no tour busses. Several of the hotels up there are already closed till March, The past 2/3 weeks are when all in hospitality are making usually serious money . And Turkey Dinners are everywhere. So far we have sold 20  :'(

This year its simply heartbreaking. On a minor note and l need to be careful here. The local area has had a sudden and unexpected increase in Overseas American (Vistors) who are booked in for 2-3 months. So while we would have expected in present circumstances be suffering intensely.  We do have a Golden Egg at the moment. Oh my shift next week includes working Christmas Eve till 9am Christmas Day.

Normally as in recent years l would either be in Los Angeles or Onboard Queen Mary at her Fabulous Christmas day brunch or one year leaving at 5am for a flight to Vegas on Christmas day or indeed last year  in Fabulous Las Vegas where  Five of us, after Christmas lunch  set of on a drive to Death Valley, two hours there, half an hour mucking about there  (and we were the only white faces there that day ) and two hours back   

This year will be somewhat different, but l know where my mind will be at  .

BUT it will be so nice to sit down at 3pm, raise a glass of Bubbles and watch Her Majesty as she addresses the Nation , something l haven't seen in 20 years   :-*
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
On the topic of ferries:

I recall seeing some of P&O Ferry's Dover to Calais ferries laid up in a port they wouldn't normally visit (can't remember where here in the UK off the top of my head) during the first national lockdown here. This was unheard of given the usual busyness of the route and it's national importance.

Pride of York and her sister Pride of Bruges, two of P&O Ferry's Hull based ferries have recently been retired (and will be scrapped apparently) because of the decline in traffic caused by the pandemic, Pride of York leaving Hull for the final time a few days ago enroute for lay up in Rotterdam and then her eventual fate. To date, Pride of York is the last passenger ship built in the UK and is the largest passenger ship built on the Clyde after our QE2.

Of course, P&O except the cruise operation is owned by DP World - QE2's owners which makes one wonder how much DP World are feeling the pinch of this pandemic and whether it could have knock on negative effect on QE2's future...

At least one Stena ferry route in the Baltic has been scrapped because of this pandemic too.
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2020, 09:59 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Online cunardqueen

Of course, P&O except the cruise operation is owned by DP World - QE2's owners which makes one wonder how much DP World are feeling the pinch of this pandemic and whether it could have knock on negative effect on QE2's future... 

If we can put emotion aside , and possibly they can, Would you operate Hotel QE2 right now at this time? :-\

Ships are being sold off , scrapped and left to paddle about in various locations. Aircraft are being slaughtered, put into storage , and layup and retired. My beloved Queen Mary is to all purposes closed. Imagine on a Christmas day doing 1200 Brunches at $90 a head.  Hotels be it Grand lavish ones or the family run Inns are literally struggling from day to day, some have shut up till February,  look at the mighty Las Vegas , some are closed, guests simply lumped together and put into hotel that can be kept open, Many places are shut Monday to Thursday.

My Las vegas  gaming offers came in, one which caught my eye , Checkin from 5pm on Dec 30th , late checkout on New Years day , it includes $20.20 food/ beverage  credit  l just need to pay the resort tax for one night which is around $38 . Theres no Housekeeping on that offer, it can be added for $25 . There are various options to upgrade your room. There are pretty insane offers now . Last New year l was paying $400 for the same Hotel, granted it was a suite. Alas i cant get so really its of no use what so ever. :(
While an empty room will bring in no money , a room that is occupied does need some income to justify it being serviced. push the guest to upgrade, and add housekeeping and you have an extra spend.
I cite the famous $10 can of coke , Who in their right mind would pay $10 for a can of coke from your mini bar. well, it's easy to play the system , iv happily had a $10 can of chilled coke, but on checkout depending on various things and your level of play it can, along with other items be comped (complimentary) . So Guest is happy to have $10 wiped from the account for their loyalty , the cost to a hotel of  the same coke is 35c its a nice feel good factor . Its a crazy way of doing things if you don't really understand  the system , But if you do and they comp things , there is nothing nicer seeing your end of stay bill being readjusted at checkout .           

Offline Rod

I am wondering,do you think that some cruise lines are shooting themselves in the foot?
Scrapping all of these liners, some with quite a bit of life left in them.
When this pandemic eventually is under control, I almost think that there will be a shortage of ships, in the right price point.
Please, I understand the cost of keeping a ship laid up, but, I also understand that when CV is under control, then people are going to want to travel. Problem being, they might not have the money, after being furloughed, or under reduced hours while the pandemic has been going on.
It is going to be very interesting to see.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
If we can put emotion aside , and possibly they can, Would you operate Hotel QE2 right now at this time? :-\           

If looking at it from an unemotional, business point of view I would want to recoup as much of my multi-million, decade plus and counting investment so I'd keep her going in her static role as much as possible to try to achieve that - just from the initial purchase cost, let alone the bigger sum of money spent in the 14 years since! Having said this, Dubai isn't in the best of shape in general at the moment according to some sources, and this is intensified by this pandemic, so maybe anything goes at the end of the day? Perhaps it doesn't bear thinking about too much either on reflection...
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2020, 01:43 AM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Online Andy Holloway

At least the good people of Torbay are doing their bit to make this Christmas for the crews onboard the cruise ships anchored off Teighnmouth, a bit more enjoyable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-55279474

I have a friend who is still serving at sea, was Cunard some years ago but is not now, whose ship is alongside in the Caribbean, with only 78 crew left onboard from a normal crew of 750. They do 10 days alongside then go to sea for 2 weeks. Reading his emails about life onboard i'm certainly glad that i'm not at sea any more, even if i'd been on a ship anchored off Teignmouth which,by the way, is only about 20 miles from my house, how annoying would that have been?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
At least the good people of Torbay are doing their bit to make this Christmas for the crews onboard the cruise ships anchored off Teighnmouth, a bit more enjoyable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-55279474

I have a friend who is still serving at sea, was Cunard some years ago but is not now, whose ship is alongside in the Caribbean, with only 78 crew left onboard from a normal crew of 750. They do 10 days alongside then go to sea for 2 weeks. Reading his emails about life onboard i'm certainly glad that i'm not at sea any more, even if i'd been on a ship anchored off Teignmouth which,by the way, is only about 20 miles from my house, how annoying would that have been?

What a lovely story in this originally very shocking topic!

It's going to be '22 before things get back to anything close to normal for the cruise lines, that's pretty clear now
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Twynkle

“Some of us”(!) are shopping for the on board crew(s), and many now are back home with several now working in different areas...there will need to be recruitment of many new crew members.
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
For those of us in the UK.

Various scenes and mentions of QE2 in the first few minutes.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/luxury-cruises-from-boom-to-bust

About the programme

Kate Quilton explores how ocean travel was transformed from a simple journey to a luxury holiday, and the post-pandemic future for what was once a £100 billion business
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Andy Holloway

About the programme

Kate Quilton explores how ocean travel was transformed from a simple journey to a luxury holiday, and the post-pandemic future for what was once a £100 billion business

Plus quite a few bits of Cunard footage from way back when.

Now for a test of your observation and QE2 Officers knowledge!.

About half way through the programme there is a reference to 'dining at The Captain's Table', with.a still of a group sat around a round table in a ship's dining room.
How many of those people can you name?  As an extra bit of 'nerdyness'; which ship, where onboard and what was the occasion?

In a couple of days - or maybe after Christmas - I'll post the picture and name the 'guests' .

There are no prizes, well apart from the knowledge that you watched the programme and noticed the bit I'm on about.
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2020, 08:34 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Lynda Bradford

About the programme

That a pity that you need to sign in or register to watch, so I cannot view as I do not want to register for Channel 4. Maybe it will come onto BBC later.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Andy Holloway

That a pity that you need to sign in or register to watch, so I cannot view as I do not want to register for Channel 4. Maybe it will come onto BBC later.

Sadly i think that you've got about the same chance of it being on the Beeb that you have of QE2 being returned to Trannies! Zilch.

I found it a bit boring to be honest, and in particular the long haired yank Professor who was just so anti the Cruise companies/industry it was laughable. Especially as all his 'evidence' was out of  date and he purported it to have been 'kept secret and covered up'! 
Even at the end, when the reporter bimbo asked the 'experts' about the future of cruising, he was the only one to be negative.
With the content they had, the whole programme could quite easily have been put out in 30 minutes instead of constantly repeating things and dragging it out to an hour.
Finally, why oh why do they always have to get comments from Dancers & Prancers who, aswe all know, live in a totally different universe than the rest of the crew? 

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Sadly i think that you've got about the same chance of it being on the Beeb that you have of QE2 being returned to Trannies! Zilch.

I found it a bit boring to be honest, and in particular the long haired yank Professor who was just so anti the Cruise companies/industry it was laughable. Especially as all his 'evidence' was out of  date and he purported it to have been 'kept secret and covered up'! 
Even at the end, when the reporter bimbo asked the 'experts' about the future of cruising, he was the only one to be negative.
With the content they had, the whole programme could quite easily have been put out in 30 minutes instead of constantly repeating things and dragging it out to an hour.
Finally, why oh why do they always have to get comments from Dancers & Prancers who, aswe all know, live in a totally different universe than the rest of the crew?

I know, it was a bit of an odd programme.  More like Channel 5 quality! 

However I think their conclusion was generally right - millions of people around the world - including many on this forum - are desperate to resume cruising just as soon as they are allowed to / it is safe - and also that for many of them, its vastly more important to them, than it is to me!

Online Andy Holloway

So now, as promised it's time for the quiz!

In good Christmas tradition here we go with a bit of head scratching and memory jolting.

Here is a screen shot, taken by my wife with her phone, of a still from the Ch 4 Programme, can you name the officers around the Captain's Table?
We'll start with Commodore Warwick and then go around the table clockwise, so we want names and positions onboard!

Then, for a couple of bonus points, where was the photo taken [which dining room] and what was the occasion?

« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2020, 10:02 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
I can't name the people besides Ron Warwick but they are in the Britannia Restaurant on QM2 and I'm guessing it's Ron's retirement dinner circa 2005/6? The camera is filming them from the second deck of the restaurant.

Online Andy Holloway

I can't name the people besides Ron Warwick but they are in the Britannia Restaurant on QM2 and I'm guessing it's Ron's retirement dinner circa 2005/6? The camera is filming them from the second deck of the restaurant.

I think you get the bonus points Thomas, I await 'official' confirmation though!

Online cunardqueen

Here goes Position 2 is His Secretary, position 5 in his wife Kim and position 7 is Mr QE2

Online Andy Holloway

Here goes Position 2 is His Secretary, position 5 in his wife Kim and position 7 is Mr QE2

Could be right, yes, no!

Online Andy Holloway

In the true spirit of New Year and goodwill to all Men/women etc here are the answers to my 'Christmas Quiz'.

Commodore Warwick* [Master], Phil Boddy* [Chief Security Officer], the only Officer i do not know, [i think possibly relief Captain's Secretary but no positive], Paul Wright *[In coming Master], 'I think - Irvine Hall[First Officer], Kim Warwick* [Mrs Master], Ronnie Kier *RIP[Ch Engineer], Peter Hawthorn* [Senior Doctor], Jacqui Hodgeson*[Hotel Manager],Othello Goshroy*[Ch Officer], Martin Stensall* [Staff Captain], Karen Smith*[Captain's Secretary].   
* These are definites, any others are possibilities or my thoughts as to who.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2021, 10:25 PM by Rob Lightbody »