Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: RECOLLECTIONS OF A POST-FALKLAND CROSSING FROM THE US TO ENGLAND  (Read 171 times)

Offline Morris Goldings

IN MAY OF 1983 (AS BEST I CAN CALCULATE NOW IN MY 84TH YEAR) MY WIFE AND I BOARDED THE QE2 IN PHILADELPHIA FOR WHAT WAS  STATED TO BE THE FIRST EASTBOUND  CROSSING AFTER WHAT WAS REFERRED TO AS "THE ARGENTINE MATTER"  -- NOT A WAR,  MIND YOU.  THERE WERE STILL HELICOPTER PADS ON THE DECK.  WE WERE TOLD THAT DURING THE GREAT CIRCLE ROUTE THE SHIP WOULD NEVER BE MORE THAN 24 HOURS AWAY FROM A LAND CONTACT BY HELICOPTER, AND INDEED ON THE FIRST MORNING AFTER THE NOON DEPARTURE I WENT ON DECK WITH MY SHORTWAVE RADIO AND  GOT THE NEWS FROM MY FAVORITE BOSTON STATION AS CLEAR AS I DID AT HOME AS WE WERE NOT FAR FROM NANTUCKET ISLAND! THINGS CHANGED DAILY. TWO DAYS  OUT WE SAW  ICEBERGS  -- EVEN I MAY. NEXT DAY WE PASSED A RUSSIAN  FISHING  FLEET  COMPLETE WITH A CANNERY SHIP. THE SPEED OF THE QUEEN WAS A MILITARY SECRET AND THE BRIDGE  WAS OFF LIMITS FOR SECURITY REASONS BUT OTHERWISE WE HAD THE RUN OF THE VESSEL.  TWO TYPICALLY  BRITISH ANECDOTES: (1) I HAD TAKEN ONBOARD SOME LONDON NEWSPAPERS I BOUGHT AT THE HARVARD SQUARE OUT OF TOWN NEWS-STAND (A RELIC  TODAY) THE  DAY BEFORE WE WENT TO PHILADELPHIA. OUR ASSIGNED DINING ROOM TABLE MATE WAS COMPLAINING ABOUT THE SKIMPY SIZE OF THE MORNING NEWS SHEET WE  WERE GIVEN SO THE THIRD DAY OUT I GREETED HIM AT BREAKFAST  WITH THE FULL COPY OF THE TIMES. HIS COMMENT:"YOU MUST HAVE AN EXCELLENT DELIVERY PERSON." (2)ONE OF THE MOVIES WAS "GHANDI". THE AUDIENCE WAS  95% BRITISH. THE  APPLAUSE WAS AT ALL THE "WRONG" PLACES BUT  AS A WINSTON CHURCHILL FOLLOWER I UNDERSTOOD COMPLETELY.  WE  ARRIVED AT SOUTHAMPTON IN  LESS THAN 6 DAYS-- MAYBE 5, QUITE REMARKABLY.  THERE IS NOTHING TO COMPARE WITH A QE2 CROSSING -- SURE NOT  THE AIRLINERS, EVEN THE UNCOMFORTABLE CONCORDE. I MISS IT.
MORRIS GOLDINGS

Online Lynda Bradford

Welcome onboard the QE2 Story Morris and thanks for posting your memories of your voyage on QE2 from Philadelphia. 

It would be fantastic if we could find out the date of the voyage so as to add to your memories. 

Hope you enjoy reading the many topics - enjoy!
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Thank you, Morris, for your message and telling us about your crossing on QE2. It would be wonderful to hear more details.  :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Michael Gallagher

QE2 arrived in Philadelphia for a four-day stay on 5 May 1983.

She sailed for Southampton on 9 May 1983 and arrived on 14 May 1983.