Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Channel 5 Documentary  (Read 580 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Channel 5 Documentary
« Reply #20 on: Jul 23, 2020, 08:55 PM »
Our experience of channel 5 making the documentary at the time of the 50 year conference has put a lot of us off watching Channel 5 QE2 documentaries.

Interested to hear what Cunardqueen has said about Captain Warwick discounting some of the stories people told.   This reminded me of some of the exaggerated stories that were told on the channel 5 documentary that was made after the conference.

Having said all that I will be watching the programme, because it has been filmed on QE2 in Dubai.  It will bring back memories of when I was onboard the ship last year and I hope we see forum member Thomas Hypher featured in the programme. 

Looking forward to hearing forum members views of the programme tomorrow evening. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #21 on: Jul 23, 2020, 09:35 PM »
Further to Lynda's post above, this upcoming Channel Five documentary series was made by a completely different production company/team to the previous documentary series that some of this forum's members took part in. My previous post was focussing on Channel Five's usual, cringeworthy style of marketing instead.

Also, Peter Warwick former passenger and crew member (cruise director) and now head of tours onboard in Dubai is the Mr Warwick referred to regarding this documentary series, and not to be confused with Captain/Commodore Ron Warwick - they are not related.
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2020, 09:45 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008 - we had the better view!

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #22 on: Jul 24, 2020, 10:03 PM »
A few things from the first of the three episodes of this documentary:

The Captain's Cabin appears to be the "high grade suite" being worked on in the first half of this episode. Also something I witnessed when up at the "bit beneath the bridge" in my own time and for filming.

The Safety Control Room is still in use but alongside modern equipment as I'd also heard from another source, makes sense and was great to see.

As happens quite often with these documentaries there is plenty of manufactured drama each episode. Burns Night and QM2's crew visit were not the same evening but a few days apart for one example! Also the inaccuracies are a common thing too...QM2 isn't double QE2's weight for one example.

They certainly did her justice with the exterior shots, including drone footage.

Looking forward to the next episode, hopefully some of the filming I did with them has made the final cut somewhere.
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2020, 11:32 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008 - we had the better view!

Offline Cunarder Man

« Reply #23 on: Jul 24, 2020, 10:17 PM »
I enjoyed watching the first part this evening. However, she is not the QE2 we all remember. It was good to see what they are doing to her but there seems to be much relining her with plasterboard and modern fittings. Modern safety standards may dictate this but, imagine covering up the Queen’s Room dance floor? The cuisine looks good.  From what I saw so far it wouldn’t put me off visiting the ship again. I appreciate they are making a documentary covering events and creating dramas out of what’s going on maintains viewers’ interest, but there was a lot of repitition. Enjoyed the stunningly clear shots of the ship. Looking forward to Part 2 next week.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #24 on: Jul 24, 2020, 10:49 PM »
It made for a pleasant hour on TV , But if whats shown then should we believe past reports ? or have they been selective and shown only areas when its busy ? It is a typical TV documnetary filled with padding and drama. The Burns event was a very basic event as they usually are and a very easy and quick set up. minimal table decorations (if any ) and dancing on the carpet must have been fun.  Its only the First programme, perhaps the remaining ones will provide more interest and stir the heart a little. 
It would have been nice to have seen more of the refurbishment side, but then it is a Hotel programme. I guess there is only so much wires and pipes you can show.

Would l like to see QE2 now in Dubai ? the answer is still the same Nope.
For what its worth Alan Whicker and his Fast Boat to China will never be beaten, That will always be the Holy Grail of programmes.

« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2020, 05:13 PM by Lynda Bradford »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #25 on: Jul 24, 2020, 11:07 PM »
I enjoyed watching the first part this evening. However, she is not the QE2 we all remember. It was good to see what they are doing to her but there seems to be much relining her with plasterboard and modern fittings. Modern safety standards may dictate this but, imagine covering up the Queen’s Room dance floor? The cuisine looks good.  From what I saw so far it wouldn’t put me off visiting the ship again. I appreciate they are making a documentary covering events and creating dramas out of what’s going on maintains viewers’ interest, but there was a lot of repitition. Enjoyed the stunningly clear shots of the ship. Looking forward to Part 2 next week.

In regards to Queens Room, as I've mentioned elsewhere here, it was the most depressing space I spent time in onboard back in January as most of the time it is unfurnished.

It made for a pleasant hour on TV , But if whats shown then should we believe past reports ? or have they been selective and shown only areas when its busy ? It is a typical TV documnetary filled with padding and drama. The Burns event was a very basic event as they usually are and a very easy and quick set up. minimal table decorations (if any ) and dancing on the carpet must have been fun.  Its only the First programme, perhaps the remaining ones will provide more interest and stir the heart a little. 
It would have been nice to have seen more of the refurbishment side, but then it is a Hotel programme. I guess there is only so much wires and pipes you can show.

Would l like to see QE2 now in Dubai ? the answer is still the same Nope.
For what its worth Alan Whicker and his Fast Boat to China will never be beaten, That will always be the Holy Grail of programmes.
I was more stunned about the QM2 Captain. Clearly im out of touch .

However the fact that parts of the ship are empty, only busy during events, or busy on a regular/daily basis in the case of the Lido illustrates that it isn't a simple yes/no, black or white answer as to whether she is busy or not, quite apart from the fact that in her static life as with Queen Mary and Rotterdam (Rotterdam not being very busy when I visited her one afternoon last August) she doesn't have a captive audience, and will never deal with quite the same numbers of people as when an active seagoing ship. I don't really think this is a bad reflection on Dubai but more a consequence of the ship's new role. Furthermore, she was paying her way before this pandemic as I was told by one of the people who's job it is to make her pay (head of marketing).
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2020, 11:37 PM by Thomas Hypher »

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #26 on: Jul 24, 2020, 11:59 PM »
   Furthermore, she was paying her way before this pandemic as I was told by one of the people who's job it is to make her pay (head of marketing). 

If you ask any Chef if they are good, they will tell you they are the best .

If QE2 can pay her way with apparently such little occupancy ,they they are doing something right . The money will generally come from the rooms, But again a lot can depend on their functions and the various types. While weddings are usually a good money spinner, but very hard work, you can make more profit doing a 150 person function on a Saturday afternoon between 1-4pm But thats another story.

Queen Mary can and does bring in a vast amount with her Sunday brunches. The Ink Festival while maybe not ideal , does bring in a vast alcohol sales , But again its the rooms that bring in the money.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #27 on: Jul 25, 2020, 12:15 AM »
If you ask any Chef if they are good, they will tell you they are the best .

If QE2 can pay her way with apparently such little occupancy ,they they are doing something right . The money will generally come from the rooms, But again a lot can depend on their functions and the various types. While weddings are usually a good money spinner, but very hard work, you can make more profit doing a 150 person function on a Saturday afternoon between 1-4pm But thats another story.

Queen Mary can and does bring in a vast amount with her Sunday brunches. The Ink Festival while maybe not ideal , does bring in a vast alcohol sales , But again its the rooms that bring in the money.

QE2 does Friday Brunch, which left the Lido jam packed and is also when the Queens Room is turned into a children's playroom but the less said about that the better.

During my stay of 4 nights there was at least one event each night, such as one by Cruise.co.uk as in the attached photo below, with the "after party" of one event taking up the whole of one side of the Lido. Also there were events during the day such as the Friday Brunch above, but also live music in the Lido on another occasion, and when I poked my head, albeit briefly, through the curtains in place in the Golden Lion to stop the cigarette smoke escaping and bunging up the rest of Upper Deck the place was well occupied as I think it has become a bit of a local landmark amongst the various expat communities being marketed as Dubai's oldest pub (wrongly if they are dating it from 1969 and not 1994).

Events are her bread and butter these days from what I saw and it was good to see plenty going on even if it did inconvenience one's documenting of the ship, trying to get photos and videos in certain places without too many people in if anyone at all or too many things such as equipment used for the events in the Grand Lounge which temporarily marked the carpet with their weight, and being restricted where one could go at times from the events going on.

I don't know her cabin occupancy rates from just before the pandemic but a few people I spoke to onboard, mainly either coming from QM2 or waiting to board QM2 were also staying onboard QE2 at least for the night. I would hope this aspect of her static operation picks up as more of the ship is opened up over time - if this pandemic hasn't scuppered Dubai's plans.
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2020, 01:41 AM by Thomas Hypher »

Offline Barumfox

« Reply #28 on: Jul 25, 2020, 01:52 AM »
It was an entertaining programme which was its main point after all and seemed to be similar in style to the series on the Royal Princess a few years ago plus a few other cruise ship documentaries. Unless there is a change of style I am not sure if they will include factual interviewees like Thomas but I hope I am wrong.

The timing of various events was clearly not as portrayed - why let facts get in the way of a good documentary - and I was trying to work out if this was Burns Night 2019 or 2020 - the impression was given it was shortly after she opened as a hotel but that was April 2018. I was a bit confused about the work in the Queens Room being rushed for that event - was this a mild makeover / new carpet rather than the room's reopening?- thought it had been open from April 2018.

The story about not having any blueprints / plans seemed extremely dubious - unless they had lost everything that V Ships had left on board! Good to see Captain Hashmi who was captain of P&O Arcadia on a cruise in 2016. No mention that QM2 and QE2 were fleetmates rather than competitors - as shown QM2 will bring visitors to QE2.

I still intend to visit when / if she reopens after her additional work during the pandemic and entered the competition to win a stay on board but would prefer to wait until as fully open as possible - not sure portraying that she was not really ready to open was a good idea although good TV - brings to. mind her infamous post-refit voyages.

Gary

Offline Vincent Scriven

• The Good Times
  • QE2 Crew member
  • Pavillion Snacker
  • My Dear Brother Tony Spec Cook
« Reply #29 on: Jul 25, 2020, 12:21 PM »
Hi I watched the Prog last night on CH5 and its just not the same Ship is it  :(

Offline Waverley

« Reply #30 on: Jul 25, 2020, 01:50 PM »
I missed the end of the programme. Was the traditional Scottish haggis a success?

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #31 on: Jul 31, 2020, 10:54 PM »
Episode Two:

It was interesting to hear about the A/C setup now in place in Dubai in that the capacity of the A/C system has had to be tripled to cope with Dubai's summers. Back in January I ended up cold/with a chill in my cabin on waking up, due to the cabin thermostat being tricky to control, so can testify to the A/C system's effectiveness! It was great to see the Engine Control Room (ECR) as part of that sequence of footage, and that it is not unused and sitting in darkness still.

The serving area for the opera in the Grand Lounge is where the table tennis table used to be, port side. The heavy equipment temporarily marks the carpet as visible in photos I took shortly after one such Grand Lounge event.
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2020, 11:30 AM by Thomas Hypher »

Offline andyh

« Reply #32 on: Aug 01, 2020, 07:23 PM »
I have just watched the second episode, and I think it comes across well, from what they say they are trying to preserve her heritage, being forced to open parts before all the ship was finished is not ideal, but they look to be managing it well, so it does not look like a building site.